shape
carat
color
clarity

Ruby Ring Help on Amazon

hxs01

Rough_Rock
I need help navigating the maze of vendors for ruby rings on Amazon. The reason I am limiting it to Amazon is that I have an additional couple grand that I can put toward the ruby ring since I can redeem credit card points for amazon dollars. Any suggestions? I want a pigeon blood red stone that is not chemically treated and/or heated, is not a composite stone, and has the proper certification from AGL. My budget for the stone is around $3500 total. What size stone that is good quality and rich in color am I probably in the market for? Who should I go with?

what are peoples thoughts on something like this ring http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005ZK7R4M/ref=mw_dp_mpd?ca=B005ZL0DSS&pd=1

i really want to make the engagement ring special, but feel frustrated and overwhelmed with the process. any help is appreciated

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While initially Amazon seemed like a horrible idea when I read the title of your post, it does seem like that Africa Gems is the same Africa Gems that we sometimes recommend. The prices are ... not what I would consider to be the best ... but I guess the extra money will offset that.

http://www.amazon.com/Mozambique-Unheated-Certified-Genuine-Cushion/dp/B008852FNE/ref=sr_1_3?s=jewelry&ie=UTF8&qid=1364368813&sr=1-3

I would also look on the regular Africa Gems website and if there's anything you like there you could see if they can list it on Amazon for you.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Amazon doesn't vet their sellers and it is pretty easy to sign up, so, generally speaking, I would take the same care choosing a vendor as though I were on eBay, for example.

AfricaGem is a well respected seller but I would contact them just to check that it is, indeed, them and not some copy cat (yes, it can happen). But I am kind of neurotic that way.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are both good vendors and not so good vendors on Amazon so you have to do your own homework. Pricing also runs the gamut from reasonable to overpriced and this becomes very difficult for a newbie to evaluate because each gemstone is different, unlike non-jewellery items which are all identical. Even if it comes with an AGL memo, I would verify to make sure that it has not been forged. Your budget will net you a fine untreated ruby (if clean and not sleepy or included) of under 0.5 carats.

hxs01

Rough_Rock
Thank you Chrono. How do you suggest I do research? What sources, websites, people, jewelers etc...can help with this? i appreciate the ball park estimate for the size stone (significantly smaller that I had hoped for or was posted in a previous reply to my post). I hope to be able to pick up a stone, but honestly at this point I am feeling like pocketing the money and going with something else....at least until I can get my mind around the industry.

hxs01

Rough_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1364388409|3414416 said:
Amazon doesn't vet their sellers and it is pretty easy to sign up, so, generally speaking, I would take the same care choosing a vendor as though I were on eBay, for example.

AfricaGem is a well respected seller but I would contact them just to check that it is, indeed, them and not some copy cat (yes, it can happen). But I am kind of neurotic that way.

Thank you for the advice.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS itself is a great resource should you choose to ask if a particular stone meets your requirements. The reason the other ruby is priced well is because it is silky, not pure red with strong saturation and is windowed. If someone is not too particular but wants size and untreated for around $3k, it would be a good candidate.

hxs01

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1364430177|3414934 said:
PS itself is a great resource should you choose to ask if a particular stone meets your requirements. The reason the other ruby is priced well is because it is silky, not pure red with strong saturation and is windowed. If someone is not too particular but wants size and untreated for around $3k, it would be a good candidate.
Any chance you could suggest a couple stones on Amazon:)?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would not be my choice of gemstone purchase as I am unfamiliar with the gemstone vendors, especially on a item that costs several thousand dollars. There are many considerations:
1. Has the photograph been photoshopped to appear better than in real life?
2. Is it a stock picture or of the actual item?
3. How is the return policy? How long is the review period?
4. Is there a restocking fee?

hxs01

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1364441376|3415082 said:
It would not be my choice of gemstone purchase as I am unfamiliar with the gemstone vendors, especially on a item that costs several thousand dollars. There are many considerations:
1. Has the photograph been photoshopped to appear better than in real life?
2. Is it a stock picture or of the actual item?
3. How is the return policy? How long is the review period?
4. Is there a restocking fee?

Chrono, where do you personally suggest? Any stones in that price range at other retailers? I have gone through the various websites on PS and there are a lot of recommended places, but I am curious if you could recommend any ruby stones in the 3k to 4range?

What do you and others think about this stone?http://www.africagems.com/oval-ruby-ic-ru-523.html

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer to stick to the vetted list because I know a refund, if needed, will be hassle free. Often extra pictures are also provided if requested. As I'm going to be in airports all day today, can you please provide a working link that I don't have to cut and paste? :wavey:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I am not very excited by the picture. The text says it is eye clean and well cut, but the picture says otherwise.

Have you had a chance to look at a lot of rubies in real life? This way you can figure out what you like for yourself. When it comes down to it, pictures are often not accurate, and we can only help you so much.

hxs01

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1364470318|3415197 said:
I prefer to stick to the vetted list because I know a refund, if needed, will be hassle free. Often extra pictures are also provided if requested. As I'm going to be in airports all day today, can you please provide a working link that I don't have to cut and paste? :wavey:

http://www.africagems.com/oval-ruby-ic-ru-523.html

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results