shape
carat
color
clarity

Ruby or garnet?

jezbelle

Rough_Rock
Hey all!

I'm having a little trouble identifying my gemstone. Do you guys think this is a ruby or garnet? And if it's a ruby, does it look glass filled? Thanks for your help :)

(front side)

(back side)

ruby_or_garnet_0.png

ruby_or_garnet_2.png

ruby_or_garnet_3.png

ruby_or_garnet_4.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you'll have to take that to a jeweler to identify what gem it is and whether natural or synthetic.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1453520461|3980068 said:
I think you'll have to take that to a jeweler to identify what gem it is and whether natural or synthetic.

+ 1

:wavey:

jezbelle

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies. And I will eventually, get it officially appraised, when I have some time in my life :wall: I'd still like to hear from anyone who might have an inkling though.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I have seen rubies and garnets that color, and that is why I didn't want to guess! But no one can tell from those pictures whether the stone has had treatment.

Now that I think about it, click Report Concern on your first post and ask the moderator to move this to the colored stones section of the forum. You might get more replies over there. :)

jezbelle

Rough_Rock
Thanks!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Do you have a UV blacklight? Try putting it under that, it should show fluorescence if it's ruby/pink sapphire whereas Rhodolite or Pyrope Garnet does not. Whether it is treated or not will be harder to tell but apparently some treated rubys will show a slight, chalky blue fluorescence as well as the usual red/pink if it has been treated (however I don't think it is a 100% thing).

If there is no fluorescence it's likely to be a Garnet which are usually untreated as it is, there is a heat treatment I have read about but it turns purplish colored Rhodolite stones into Hessonite which I believe is a less desirable color (I think that's all correct, right pros?).

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
To get help from pricescope you need better photos, with lighting. The gold makes the gem look darker so try bright lights.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results