shape
carat
color
clarity

Ruby; Burma Days

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
EARLY MORNING IN BAGAN

The early morning in Bagan is cool and breezy. Just off our porch with its planked and varnished teak floors, a broad leaved Banana Palm nods sagely in the light breeze, a giant Acacia tree bends its ancient back, its knarled branches splayed like arthritic limbs form an umbrella over our villa’s roof. A manicured lawn lies between us and the wide Irrawaddy River. From the opposite bank, along a ridge of ragged hills, a glint of gold off a temple dome flickers through the dawn shroud of silvered white mist. The mist clings though the day, turning to blue as the morning wears on. It is the dry season and the Irrawaddy, the mother of rivers, has receded leaving a broad expanse of bare sandy shoulder exposed on either bank.

Located in the central part of the country, ancient Bagan was the center of a city-state that flourished between the 10th and 12th Centuries until Kublai Khan’s Mongols ravaged the place in the mid 13th Century. Today, the chief reason to visit is to see the 3,000 or so temples and pagodas that punctuate the parched countryside. As our guide tells us, a pagoda is solid; a temple is hollow like a church with golden statues of the Buddha inside. During the height of Bagan’s prosperity, kings constructed the largest temples as monuments to their power and perhaps more importantly, as a way to gain cosmic merit so that after their deaths they might be reborn as some higher level of being. There are an estimated 4,000 of these monuments in Bagan.

AT THE MINES:

It is tempting to believe that the lack of fine ruby in the world market is the result of the U. S. embargo, but it is not. Burma is flanked by India and China and both these emergent powers are far more important trading partners than is the United States. The Indians have always greatly valued ruby---in the 17th Century, French dealer Jean Baptiste Tavernier wrote of buying rubies in Europe and bringing them to India because he could get better prices from the Mogul nabobs--- and China’s nouveau riche have developed a taste for luxury goods. No, it is simply that, after a thousand years, the ruby, at least the accessible ruby has been mined out. Certainly this is true of Mogok’s secondary deposits; every bit of alluvium in the mountain valley has been turned over not once, but a hundred times. Mogok village itself was once moved to get at the gemstones and the small lake at the valley’s floor is a flooded excavation. According to my Burmese agent, a Shan tribesman born in Mogok, there are still gems buried in the hardrock, but they are deeper and require blasting, heavy equipment and much more capital to mine. The investors, however, are reluctant to invest.

MORE TO COME!

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Richard,

I always love reading your stuff. Always informative and truly well-written, you have a way of bringing things to life. I love the fact that someone of your calibre posts on these boards and so graciously shares his knowledge with us.

Please don''t ever stop posting. Your insight and information is always priceless.

Thank you.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2010 9:04:03 AM
Author: Revolution
Richard,

I always love reading your stuff. Always informative and truly well-written, you have a way of bringing things to life. I love the fact that someone of your calibre posts on these boards and so graciously shares his knowledge with us.

Please don''t ever stop posting. Your insight and information is always priceless.

Thank you.
Ditto!

I''m very envious too! Are babysitters cheap in Bagan?
27.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, yes, it is always nice to have a WRITER on this forum. As I have noticed from some of your postings, you have a very unbiased opinion about things. This, too, helps.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results