shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Blue Sapphire E-ring Advice

Sn_Pusher

Rough_Rock
Stone Cutters,

This forum is really invaluable, and first off let me thank the wisdom of the founders of this place. At the moment, buying an engagement ring is one of the most isolating experiences I have ever had. I have never seen or heard of any of my friends talk about buying an engagement ring, as they of course wished to preserve the surprise of a proposal, and I can of course see the logic. And leaves me (and perhaps many others) really with no where to go but to the internet to seek your help.

The good news is that I know roughly what I want, a Royal Blue Sapphire in a round or oval cut, set in a solid halo setting. This is the design I really like:

http://www.diamondere.com/d/product...ountain/platinum/sapphire/sapphire/si-diamond

I have been reading up heaps on this website to arm myself with information, but there's nothing like some basic feedback to let me know I'm on the right path. I have some concerns regarding Diamondere, my first is that a 'medium blue sapphire' is not Royal Blue, and that the photo may not meet my expectations. I have asked Diamondere for further information there.

The second concern, is that I can't find many recommendations for Diamondere, when it comes to gemstones.

I also count around ~18 sapphire sidestones, but the site mentions only 9 sapphires. Do they split the 9 to make the sidestones?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. What is your total budget?
2. What is the mm size sapphire you want?

My concerns regarding Diamondere,
1. Stock photo, so nobody knows the quality you will be getting.
2. AAA has no meaning because there is no universal standard, so again, it may not look like the picture and nobody knows the quality you will be getting.
3. No mention of treatment but I'll presume heat only.

You will have to ask the vendor about the sapphires. 9 seems too few to go around the centerstone.

Sn_Pusher

Rough_Rock
1. Budget around US$6000
2. Sapphire size between 1.3 to 1.8 carat

I will ask Diamondere those exact questions from Chrono, and post their reply in due course.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with Chrono.

Is this what you are looking for in terms of size and color?
You could contact Jeff Davies. He is a reputable dealer and well respected by Pricescopers. You would then need a custom setting made by a jeweller.

_1642.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the $6K for the stone only, or stone and setting?

As for the sapphire, go by the mm dimensions. Due to cut, a 1.8 ct can have the same face up dimensions as a 1.3 ct sapphire, yet cost more.

S

SparkliesLuver

Acinom said:
You could contact Jeff Davies. He is a reputable dealer and well respected by Pricescopers. You would then need a custom setting made by a jeweller.

That's gorgeous, Acinom! :love: I doubt that one will last long.

Sn_Pusher

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1453990861|3982948 said:
Is the $6K for the stone only, or stone and setting?

As for the sapphire, go by the mm dimensions. Due to cut, a 1.8 ct can have the same face up dimensions as a 1.3 ct sapphire, yet cost more.

Great points there Chrono. $6K is flexible, but would be all inclusive.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1453991169|3982950 said:
Acinom said:

It definitely won't! I saw it this morning and had to stop myself from buying it immediately. So gorgeous :love: :love: I hope it goes to a PSer so I can see more pics!

Sn_Pusher

Rough_Rock
lovedogs|1453991686|3982961 said:
SparkliesLuver|1453991169|3982950 said:
Acinom said:

It definitely won't! I saw it this morning and had to stop myself from buying it immediately. So gorgeous :love: :love: I hope it goes to a PSer so I can see more pics!

That does indeed look stunning. I have enquired if it is still for sale.

Does Jeff help with mounting stones in a setting?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recall Jeff Davies helping a few who bought his stone set it as well. He isn't a bench person but because he is in Thailand, he as access to many good benches.

Sn_Pusher

Rough_Rock
Jeff advises it is still for sale, and that he can assist with setting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom (and anyone else),
That sapphire is not on his eBay website. Where can I view the video?

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Darn. I saw the video last night and now cannot find it. I think he posted a link to a Youtube video.

Sn_Pusher

Rough_Rock
I'm seriously considering buying this stone. Any comments before I start a transaction?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all. Sn_Pusher, contact Jeff and ask him to put this sapphire on HOLD!

A couple of thoughts:
1. 6.3 mm only. Is this large enough?
2. Colour looks dark in the video and will darken up once set. However, I don't see strong lighting used, so it might be fine.
3. Very nice cutting.
4. Any paperwork on the stone? I see something in Acinom's post but it is too small to read.
5. Cost?

Sn_Pusher

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1453994351|3982993 said:
Thanks all. Sn_Pusher, contact Jeff and ask him to put this sapphire on HOLD!

A couple of thoughts:
1. 6.3 mm only. Is this large enough?
2. Colour looks dark in the video and will darken up once set. However, I don't see strong lighting used, so it might be fine.
3. Very nice cutting.
4. Any paperwork on the stone? I see something in Acinom's post but it is too small to read.
5. Cost?

The Sapphire is now sold.

1. 6.3 I think is big enough for the halo setting. The setting on Diamondere was 8 x 6mm.
2. I'm hoping so.
3. I'm going with your expert eye on all of this.
4. http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums...6-0b01-44f4-ba80-9c5895c058e1_zpswkwjlfpf.jpg
5. US$1975

arabella

Shiny_Rock
Haha I saw the title of this thread and opened it specifically to possibly recommend that exact sapphire from Jeff! It is very lovely! Chrono, the paper work is from GCI stating heat only.

S

SparkliesLuver

Hope this helps and its readable...

_36242.jpg

arabella

Shiny_Rock
Oh darn I just now saw your post, Sn_Pusher. Was it sold before you told Jeff you wanted it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arabella|1453995363|3983009 said:
Oh darn I just now saw your post, Sn_Pusher. Was it sold before you told Jeff you wanted it?
Oh no! Was it sold to you or someone else? If not you, ask Jeff whether he has anything else similar.

Sn_Pusher

Rough_Rock
Oh apologies for the confusion, I am the new owner.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrats! :love: This has been a whirlwind romance of the stone............it's good you now have it to check it out. We'll look forward to what you think when you see it. In my experience Jeff's stones look even better in person.......... :appl:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sn_Pusher|1453995680|3983019 said:
Oh apologies for the confusion, I am the new owner.

Hooray! I was hoping it was you who bought this beauty! I'm excited to see pics when you get it :)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats!! Glad you could act quickly. I hope you love it when you see it in real life. Jeff has a great return policy though and he is great to work with.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, it looks like a beautiful sapphire, it'll make a special engagement ring. Yesterday I had to stop myself from thinking about purchasing it.

Sn_Pusher

Rough_Rock
Cheers everyone, that sapphire was a beautiful suggestion.

Now I've got a couple of days to nail the setting. I'm loving some elements of the design in my first post, but it was based on an oval design. I'll be trawling the Internet for ideas over the next two days, I'm looking for a halo setting with an ornate or vintage design.

Wish me luck.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results