shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Asscher - STEAL?

barashinda

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I've been reading through this forum for quite some time. I have a 1 ct Princess solitaire engagement ring, however, when my husband proposed he promised me an upgrade after 4 years to a 2+ carat. That time has come! I started looking into Asschers because I loved the simple geometry of the stone's shape. However, actually seeing some Asschers in real life was quite difficult. When I attempted to see some at the chain stores (ahem, Robbins Bro.) I was told that I wouldn't be interested because they don't sparkle as much. So I decided to go back and look for Princess cuts. But then...something magical happened, over Thanksgiving, while visiting family, I was helping a friend shop for diamond earrings and I finally saw an 2 ct Asscher! It was more beautiful than I imagined!! I decided that's what I wanted.

I did considerable research here on PS and various sites to understand what to look for. But I also had to keep in mind my husband's strict budget. Not so much a number, but not to get ripped off. Which I'm sure most of you know, is not easy. We did a ton of research on diamond pricing and were discovering more and more that no one really provides a good deal. So my husband insisted I look for what he called "distress sales," i.e. people trying to sell them to get whatever they can, not trying to make the highest profit. But considering what I was looking for is rare, I was skeptical.

I was looking for:
- Asscher (all the asschers I was able to see in person were the "Square Emerald Cut"; I noticed a few "Cut-Cornered Square Step Cut" on James Allen and was immediately attracted to their rarity and seemingly more sparkly nature, so I have been focused on a "Cut-Cornered Square Step Cut." I was told by a few sellers that there is no difference between the CCSSC and the square emerald. I don't think that's true. My understanding is that the CCSSC has additional steps in the pavillion. I also understood that Royal Asscher branded cuts were considered CCSSC. I never intended to look for an RA cut since I know they have a high premium, which definitely goes against my husband's rule of getting a steal.)
- 2+ carat
- GIA-certified (I had seen several EGLs and was just not confident in their assessment)
- Minimum mm size of 7.5 mm x 7.5 mm
- Closest to 1.0 l/w ratio as possible (not because it actually shows, but because I am pretty OCD)
- I (lowest color) - (I know that they typically say H should be the lowest, but this wasn't as big a concern as size for me)
- VS2 (lowest clarity)
- And for price: a STEAL!

Well, to my surprise, we found an estate dealer with a Royal Asscher branded diamond. I immediately convinced my husband to get it, here are the specs:

- 2.61 ct
- Royal Asscher laser inscription
- 7.63 mm x 7.61 mm x 5.27 mm
- Color: I
- Clarity: VS1
- Polish: Excellent
- Symmetry; Very Good
- Depth: 69.3%
- Table: 53%
- Flourescence: None

And the price...$16,900. Did I get a steal???

ra_2.jpg

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
if it met all of your GIA criteria and you love it, that's all that matters! enjoy!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It sounds like you did, yes! How are you planning to set it?

barashinda

Rough_Rock
Circe said:

Thanks! I want to keep it sophisticated and chic, so I'm thinking a very slim pave band with a basket head setting. The picture attached is very close to what I'm going for, but without the pave on the profile of the band, only the top. I can't decide on double prong or single prongs though. I really love the octagon shape and want to accentuate it, so I don't know if single or double prongs would be better. Any suggestions?

leon_mege_asscher.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a very nice upgrade! I think the single prongs highlight the stone very well.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's gonna be gorgeous!! I'd do the single prongs just like the photo. :love: :love:

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Just have to say your new stone is yummy :love: :love:

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I don't keep up closely on asscher pricing but it sounds like a steal to me! Looks GORGEOUS in the pic!!! :love:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think for that size it's a great price & it's a magnificent stone. And the style of setting you have picked will showcase it perfectly!!!

Huldak

Shiny_Rock
You did SO well. Congrats!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone......but coupon shopping for diamonds.....your a lucky girl good find

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holy crap that thing is gorgeous.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
That would be my dream stone :love: Love the setting you've chosen as well. I would do single prongs. Congratulations, it's an amazing find!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
barashinda said:
Circe said:

Thanks! I want to keep it sophisticated and chic, so I'm thinking a very slim pave band with a basket head setting. The picture attached is very close to what I'm going for, but without the pave on the profile of the band, only the top. I can't decide on double prong or single prongs though. I really love the octagon shape and want to accentuate it, so I don't know if single or double prongs would be better. Any suggestions?

Beautiful choice! For accentuating the octagonal shape, my own preference would be for either a bezel or tab prongs, but I realize those are very different looks from what you posted ... Given that design and the choice between single and double, I think I'd choose double to accentuate those gorgeous clipped corners. I can't wait to see the final result!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that is a beauty! Wear it in good health :)

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm headed for estate dealers as soon as the sun comes up!
I hope you will post more photos now and when it is set.

barashinda

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your kind words! It is so beautiful in real life! I'd seen only a few non-RA asschers and they were very pretty, I'm really attracted to the geometry of the stone (I'm a sorta math geek), but when I was shopping online it was so hard to tell if it would be a pretty stone. And some retailers would out-right refuse to send pics (which I thought was odd). I had not even seen a Royal Asscher in real life before I got this one and it didn't even matter, the dimensions and sparkle are truly spectacular.

I received the stone yesterday. My husband and I are gonna do some verification work (calling Royal Asscher, checking with our local jeweler to check everything), but I still got so excited.

Originally I was thinking of a thin pave band, but now that I see the stone in person, it's so crazy sparkly, I don't need any competing stones with it. I may have changed my mind to a thin plain solitaire... I only have an iPhone camera, and I have no unmounted settings, but I played around a little to get some ideas. (To simulate the pave setting, I used a diamond bangle, and for the solitaire setting, I used the back of my current engagement ring, they're both wider than I would want, but I think they give me an idea). Also, I used tweezers :( Don't judge me, I had no idea how else to do it?!? :???:

First thing to buy when I get it set is a decent camera!

_13925.jpg

image_23.jpg

image_25.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a beautiful stone. I love Asschers.

Your big stone will be so elegant in a plain shank solitaire indeed!!! I love the look in the second photo.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That looks huge and lovely with the plain shank - I love it!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You sure did get a steal! Take that one and run with it, don't look back!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Wow, it's absolutely stunning! And definitely a steal!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Oh my! :love: I say do a "Boston Jeff" with a diamond wedding band.

cheers--Sharon

barashinda

Rough_Rock
Jimmianne|1390303734|3597533 said:
I'm headed for estate dealers as soon as the sun comes up!
I hope you will post more photos now and when it is set.

I will definitely post pics when I get it set! I saw you're setting for the 0.90 Asscher you had previously bought on another post. Was that from James Allen? Do you know what the width of the band was? It looks fairly thin and low-set, which is what I'd be going for. Thanks!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a real beauty! I'd do a platinum solitaire with double claw prongs.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congratulations!
The stone looks lovely- and the price is ...well, it's so low that if you did not have the stone and GIA report in hand already, I'd be warning that it had to be a scam.

Good luck with that gorgeous rock!!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ummmm that is amazing :love:

barashinda

Rough_Rock
canuk-gal|1390325648|3597736 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

Wow...I just saw "Boston Jeff"s ring, it is stunning!!! That might be the way to go. Thanks for the suggestion!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
barashinda|1390336408|3597866 said:
canuk-gal|1390325648|3597736 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

Wow...I just saw "Boston Jeff"s ring, it is stunning!!! That might be the way to go. Thanks for the suggestion!

My pleasure! :appl:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Brilliant find! And would look good stuck in bubblegum on your finger so you can't really go wrong. Congrats!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Brilliant find! And would look good stuck in bubblegum on your finger so you can't really go wrong. Congrats!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results