shape
carat
color
clarity

Round vs cushion

leonme

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

I was looking for some help. I, unfortunately, don't have a huge budget. Probably about $1800 on just a loose diamond. I'm planning to order online from jamesallen. And my GF likes the pave setting (specifically she likes the Tiffany novo).

Anyway, my question is which diamond would you guys recommend-- round or cushion for best sparkle and largest appearance.

Thanks in advance!

bensona

Rough_Rock
I was also considering round and cushion cut for my recent purchase. What I found is that it's much easier to find a larger appearing, better performing diamond as a round cut.

If you are looking for the largest appearing, good performing diamond for $1,800, some folks here might help you find a few options.

leonme

Rough_Rock
Wow. That was a quick reply. Thanks for your reply :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What shape does your lady prefer? That is the one you should buy.

leonme

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the suggestions.

She has a ring size of 5. So she has relatively small hands and wants it to be a little more subtle and not standout *too* much. So perhaps nothing bigger than .7~.8 I presume.

In terms of shape, she doesn't seem to like just a simple round but when it's placed in a pave setting with the 4 prongs it gives it more of a square look. So I was thinking perhaps a roundish cushion or just a round. I think the bottom line is that she just wants a ring that's shiny and sparkly and looks pretty (ie Tiffany novo..) While i want to buy the best I can with my limited budget.

I was considering this setting:
https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-thin-french-cut-pave-set-diamond-engagement-ring-item-7092

I've been intermittently researching / reading this forum for about 6 months. But I seem to still be clueless.

Thanks for all the help!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can I pick for you?

I kinda good at this. :)

If you trust me.

Just tell me first, are there any cultural restrictions?

And what is your ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM total budget?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

leonme

Rough_Rock
I have no problem with someone else choosing for me. But I'd like to keep the total price under about $2300.

Making phone calls is a slight nuisance as I'm in Moscow, Russia. I'm planning to have the ring shipped to my moms house in California.

Thanks for all the help!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

leonme

Rough_Rock
Thanks gypsy! I emailed idj.

So you think going with a cushion is better than round ? I've read that rounds shine better and look better.. Don't really know the upside to cushions.
Do I need to request an ASET on that diamond ?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If round is an option, yes, I think most excellent cut rounds will have better light performance than most modern cushions.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
iDJ will send you an ASET if you request pne. That stone should have excellent light return.

Your llady doesn't like rounds. Get a cushion.

Aurora43

Rough_Rock
I agree with Gypsy. If you know she does not really want a round stone, you should definitely go for the cushion. Gypsy also seems to know her stuff when it comes to diamonds and settings. Follow through with the idea she gave you and get a pic of what you can expect it to turn out like. You will most likely be very pleased with the results.

leonme

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the help. I got some aset images. What do you guys think?

This is the one that gypsy recommended--thanks btw :)

_38587.jpg

_38588.jpg

_38589.jpg

_38590.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results