shape
carat
color
clarity

Round H&A?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pwings

Rough_Rock
Would you guys say, for a round shape diamond, AGS 0 should be my first priority out of the 4 C''s when comparing diamonds?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2006 12:26:22 AM
Author:pwings
Would you guys say, for a round shape diamond, AGS 0 should be my first priority out of the 4 C''s when comparing diamonds?

Certainly the cut grade by AGS is an important factor - but so are the other three C''s. Carat weight and clarity next, and color lastly.

In that the cut grade will be a good sort tool and elimation help for you, lots of other factors help contribute to a diamond''s attractiveness and light return.

Rockdoc

pwings

Rough_Rock
But out of the 4 C''s shouldn''t one of them be a control? I know many people say is its just preference toward each individual. However, what would an expert say?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''m not sure exactly what answer you are looking for
34.gif

the cut quality is no doubt the most important factor. if you don''t have a well cut diamond, NONE of the other factors matter.
a 3ct. d/if will look like crap if it is cut poorly.
14.gif

pwings

Rough_Rock
I just want to know if hearts and arrows are necessary in shopping for a round diamond. Would an expert value a rock slighly smaller but is AGS 0 higher than a slightly larger rock that is AGS1?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2006 3:37:12 PM
Author: pwings

I just want to know if hearts and arrows are necessary in shopping for a round diamond.
no, definitely not necessary. there are some diamonds that are not true h&a that are very nice. it''s a personal preference. just like many others, i happen to prefer the organized optical symmetry of h&a stones.
2.gif

Would an expert value a rock slighly smaller but is AGS 0 higher than a slightly larger rock that is AGS1?
are you talking ''value'' as in worth on the market or to ones self? i guess either way, it would depend on what made the stone a ''1''
2.gif

pwings

Rough_Rock
yes I mean value.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay...let's back up. i think maybe you are directly correlating ags0 with h&a. (?) they are not one in the same.
as far as monetary value goes, markups for 'ideal' (ags0) and 'superideal' (h&a) do exist, but they are not as 'in stone' as going from 'g' to 'f' to 'd' color for instance.
yes, experts and others such as myself, value h&a because it is more rare and generally a good sign of craftsmanship.
will the average joe be able to tell the difference sitting on a park bench from 10 feet away? no, not necesarrily. will you and she be able to tell a difference looking at it every day for years and years in all kinds of different conditions...YES...at least between nearly well cut and well cut (ags0)
studies have shown that symmetry deviations impact performance, so that means good symmetry will help performance...what level is up to you.

pwings

Rough_Rock
ahh, thank you for explaining that for me. I thought AGS0 had to have H&A present. now im even more confused!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh no! did i confused you more?
39.gif
i didn''t mean too.
what can i try to unconfuse you about?

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2006 11:46:16 PM
ahh, thank you for explaining that for me. I thought AGS0 had to have H&A present. now im even more confused!
Pwings, they are mutually exclusive: AGS0 may not have patterning so precise as to be called H&A... And just because a diamond is cut with the precision to display H&A does not mean it will have the performance of an AGS0.

Here is a thread with detailed information about "H&A"

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just want to know if hearts and arrows are necessary in shopping for a round diamond. Would an expert value a rock slighly smaller but is AGS 0 higher than a slightly larger rock that is AGS1?

I don''t now what AGS cut grades have to do with size... You can always read what the diameter is anyway.

Also, why AGS0? There are other standards and even has changed their mind about what ''Ideal'' is. If you wanted to shop around, there''s room out of AGS0 and AGS reports are not the end-all of cut grading. Just IMO.

AGS does not grade H&A. And I would think they are right to do so.

My 2c

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2006 12:26:22 AM
Author:pwings

Do you need a ''priority''?

I''d set a lover limit for each of the C''s and see what fits the budget in that range. It is easier to compare real options than theorize.

Would that do away with some of the confusion?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results