shape
carat
color
clarity

Round Diamond - Cloudy Inclusions

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everybody,

how do you make sure to buy a diamond that really is brilliant and not hazy when shopping online?

For example in these two diamonds how do I determine if they will have a hazy look?
The report states cloudes in the crown - but I can't really find them. Does anybody else see them?

https://www.growndiamondcorp.com/stonedetail/stonedetails?stoneno=4869

https://www.growndiamondcorp.com/stonedetail/stonedetails?stoneno=4880

Or do I ultimatley have to order them and see for myself or get them checked by an expert?

Thank you for your advice!

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
There's a lot of inclusions in both these stones and I cannot believe that either would be "eye clean". I'd suggest dropping in size and improving the clarity grade.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
I have no problem with black inclusions or crystals. I'm more scared of clouds that would make the stone look hazy. Or is the only way of exclusing stones like that having a high clarity grade?
Thanks!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no problem with black inclusions or crystals. I'm more scared of clouds that would make the stone look hazy. Or is the only way of exclusing stones like that having a high clarity grade?
Thanks!
It’s not the only way imo but it might be the easiest since the alternative I think is to make sure you read the grade setting inclusions and the additional comments as well as looking at the plots and getting video of any contenders. That does add up to quite a lot of work unfortunately!
Another option would be to work with a PS vendor as they do that sort of vetting for you and you can trust them. Usually that’s reflected in the prices of course but it depends on how much time you have to spend on searching and sifting.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of those two, I think 4869 is likely to be more eye-clean because the inclusions are smaller and more scattered, but in terms of clouds, it may well be a case of needing to see them in person to assess them - the videos look pretty good but the lighting is flat (as it should be) and it's hard to assess if any clouds would interfere with light transmission and/or light up in direct light.

(IMHO, of course!)

As Fox says, though, the benefits of working with a PS-recommended vendor is that they can do the assessment for you, although you will, of course, pay a little more for such a service.

It is good that we have the options :)

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
how do you make sure to buy a diamond that really is brilliant and not hazy when shopping online?

Sometimes you can see it through videos/photos, but to be sure you have to have someone vet it for you. Even so, the stone still may turn out to be cloudy under sun, as it happened to my VS1 stone that looked clear in all light, except under direct strong light. Apparently this is not so unusual nowadays according to the experts.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...e-sun-41-pavillion-33-5-crown-vs1-why.240310/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results