shape
carat
color
clarity

Round Brilliant whit IGL certificate

pietrog80

Rough_Rock
What do you think of this piece whit IGL certificate.
How much is it according to you?

1.jpg
2.jpg
D90616509IL.jpg

Attachments

• D89956544IL.jpg
    D89956544IL.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 14

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like you can pick something like that up on ebay for $1200 or less. Might be able to find something in the $500 - $800
range. They may not be graded but not sure if its really necessary.

What type of setting are you considering? If you like that salt and pepper kind of look it might be safer in a pendant than a ring.

YoLaL

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hmmm this diamond has a unique appearance so I say no value / priceless :lol:. justkddng! Roughly around $300 + -

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed with others. Under 500 for sure.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
deja_q_hd_046_resized_6484.jpg

Grust

Rough_Rock
I`m still new to this forum. So far I`ve not seen anything worth its asking price which is certified by IGL or anybody else except gia/ags.

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP, what is your purpose for buying this stone? It is terribly cut and looks quite bad...it is so included it barely looks like a diamond.

I would pay $100 for it, tops.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't take it for the price of shipping. There are diamonds that are beautiful with pretty colors with salt and pepper inclusions, but this is not one of them. If you are looking for a round brilliant diamond, let us help you find a much better one.

Oh, and stick only to GIA grading.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you want a diamond that has a poor cut, poor clarity and has zero life or sparkle and just lays there.

I wouldn’t pay $100 for that one.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't take it for the price of shipping. There are diamonds that are beautiful with pretty colors with salt and pepper inclusions, but this is not one of them. If you are looking for a round brilliant diamond, let us help you find a much better one.

Oh, and stick only to GIA grading.

Exactly. If you want a salt and pepper diamond, we can find you a better one.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey PS members...several members have posted useful details that would help the poster to evaluate this choice. To those, I applaud and appreciate you. But, to outright discount included stones like this fails to see the larger world of gemstones and diamonds, the growing market for the atypical, and the move for many to not be willing to pay for perfection. But, worse, it marginalizes the poster. These are very hard stones to select and folks could use our help and expertise, our patience and sleuthing ability, our contacts in the gemstone world, and support...they don't need derision. I have certainly failed on this myself, so I'm reminding myself of this too...let's aspire to provide as equally honest and helpful forum for those looking for the unusual as those looking for the typical. :cool2:=)2

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey PS members...several members have posted useful details that would help the poster to evaluate this choice. To those, I applaud and appreciate you. But, to outright discount included stones like this fails to see the larger world of gemstones and diamonds, the growing market for the atypical, and the move for many to not be willing to pay for perfection. But, worse, it marginalizes the poster. These are very hard stones to select and folks could use our help and expertise, our patience and sleuthing ability, our contacts in the gemstone world, and support...they don't need derision. I have certainly failed on this myself, so I'm reminding myself of this too...let's aspire to provide as equally honest and helpful forum for those looking for the unusual as those looking for the typical. :cool2:=)2

Yes,I apologize if I came across as harsh.

Maybe tell us what you are looking for and why and what your budget it and we can evaluate it better.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am curious, what attracted you to this particular stone?

It has a unique set of characteristics:
  • 66% table
  • 57% depth
  • 5% girdle thickness (yet cert says "slightly thick")
  • 12% crown height (no angle reported)
  • 40.5% pavilion height (no angle reported)
  • Symmetry is reported as Very Good, yet I cannot see any symmetry in the cut because of the "crushed ice" effect
  • Cut is also reported as Very Good, although looking at the stone and crown/pavilion height percentages would tend to be erroneous as well
  • I3 inclusions - potential structural issues
This is not a highly desired stone in terms of normal diamond quality. Supply and demand drives market pricing. When you have an influx of supply and low demand, prices are very low. The opposite is true is you have low supply and high demand, as prices will sky rocket.

I am not sure the supply level of a stone of this nature, but most on this forum would not be interested so I know the demand is low. As such, pricing will be low as well -- at least in this particular demographic of potential buyers. In other such areas, where buyers are less educated or have different taste preferences, then perhaps demand would increase and prices would increase at some level.

Looking at PS' history on round shaped diamonds in the 2-2.99ct range for G/I3 clarity, we can arrive at an average price of $1,049 based on historical data.

https://www.pricescope.com/diamond-prices/round#2-2.99

Like with any product, it would take the right buyer with the right desire to actually tender a cash offer. So really market value is what someone will pay, regardless of cost history that tracks what other people paid. When car shopping, I use similar values and then negotiate DOWN from that point as low as possible, assuming I am interested in the first place.

Hopefully this helps.

Capture.PNG

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Noted, @rockysalamander

@pietrog80 , to answer your question of "How much is it according to you?", according to me its is worth exactly zero because I find no redeeming quality in this stone based on the photo of the diamond (not visually appealing to me and possibly structurally flawed), the IGL Certification (questionable certification at best) and the specs shown thereon (hardly reliable based on their origin and even if accurate, not desirable). Based on your post history, it appears you are only looking for PSers opinions on the cost of specific IGI and IGL certified diamonds you've found (at auctions, perhaps?). If you post your desired specs and your budget, I am sure the pro-PSers here will provide you with far better alternatives certified by GIA and AGS. GL!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s not a diamond you buy for “diamond characteristics” ie light return and sparkle, it’s a gem you’d buy because you like a grey mottled look gem.
It’s an interesting look.
As other have pointed out, a diamond with that level of inclusions could be fragile ie a moderate bump could see it chip or split. So in a ring setting I think it would need to be fully bezel set to protect the girdle (edges) or best worn in a pendant.
Value as an unset gem, I’d guess a few hundred dollars, without proper “diamond characteristics” it’s not worth “diamond price” in my opinion.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is an example of a well cut "rustic" diamond with color and inclusions that is set to compliment the stone (CVB Inspired Design). So I am all for the idea of it if you have vision for what the end product is going to be. Can you show us an example of the kind of ring you want to make?

2D5C5651-2BAA-4B09-BC4F-1BB25E0C3A17.jpeg

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don’t think, based off the OP’s posts on PS, that they are looking to set this stone. My impression is possibly looking to buy low and sell for a profit. But I could be mistaken.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s really interesting that someone went to the effort of grading this stone- how can they possibly tell it’s a “G” with all those inclusions??

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

pietrog80

Rough_Rock

Thanks rockysalamander. I really appreciate it. Thanks also to other members for useful details. Many people do not want to spend thousands of dollars in the perfect diamond and surely I am the least suitable in this forum to select stones of this type because it is very difficult and a lot of experience and attention to detail is needed to give value to these stones ( if a value these have). There is a small market for this type of stone and if someone pays zero for this stone there are others who pay $ 600/700. It's not much money but it's always money. :wavey:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI, @pietrog80
Are you looking for a diamond to set into a piece of jewelry you yourself would wear or as a gift to someone else -- or are you looking for inexpensive diamonds as a sort of a investment that you hope to sell for a higher price in the future? Knowing your goal would help us help you.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey @MollyMalone, based on that last statement of "it's not much money, but it's always money" tells me he is buying stones for the purpose of reselling and maximizing profits

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What do you think of this piece whit IGL certificate.
How much is it according to you?

You've phrased the question in an interesting way. "According to you?"

Normally, an appraisal from a jeweler would be answering the question of what a stone like it would reasonably be expected to cost in the usual and customary market. This is not possible to replace. There are none available in the typical market and, frankly, I doubt most jewelers could get one if they tried. These aren't sold through the usual diamond channels. It's a very unusual piece.

For many here, the question is what would it be expected to cost to buy one. There are none, or close to none, in the market. We've got one, and we don't know the price. If you were trying to match this for an earring, I think you would likely fail. Again most dealers don’t sell goods like this. How much they would theoretically charge if they had one is, at best, an academic question.

For some, it means what you could get for it if you sold it. As with the above, I think you would find this very difficult to sell. It’s a very specialized item and most people aren’t looking for one. That’s why cutters don’t cut them and why dealers don’t sell them.

Lastly there’s the question of what it costs. That’s something you already know and aren’t sharing, presumably as a way of deciding if it’s a ‘bargain’. It is. Or maybe it’s not ... Is it what you’re looking for?

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Someone is willing to pay money for this?!? :shock:

Agree. I quite honestly would not pay a single dollar for that stone. What on earth would I do with it?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks rockysalamander. I really appreciate it. Thanks also to other members for useful details. Many people do not want to spend thousands of dollars in the perfect diamond and surely I am the least suitable in this forum to select stones of this type because it is very difficult and a lot of experience and attention to detail is needed to give value to these stones ( if a value these have). There is a small market for this type of stone and if someone pays zero for this stone there are others who pay $ 600/700. It's not much money but it's always money. :wavey:

Actually, 700 bucks is a great budget. For the right piece. If it is for you, then get it.

This is a public forum. As always, take what you want and leave the rest.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results