shape
carat
color
clarity

Round Brilliant or H&A from Starsgem

1amaN00b

Rough_Rock
I am about to order GH color H&A cut 1ct stones from Starsgem (will have them make me a pair of earrings and pendant). I went to a jewelry store during lunch today and was told that RB has more fire than H&A. I haven't seen a H&A in person so I wouldn't know but the RB looks amazing (not the price tag though).

1) What are people's opinion on the 2 stones from Starsgem? I plan on ordering either today or tomorrow so any additional inputs would be great (was ordinary under another thread). Figure this will get more attention.

2) I asked for a stone comparison btw EF and GH color and based on the pictures and videos I received, I can't really tell. Do you think GH color should still look pretty white?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go with H&A. The RBs might have more fire, but they won't be as well cut (IMHO). I think they have a risk of being poorly cut or looking more "fake".

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I have a RB moissanite. Don't get it, the cut makes it look awful under low light. Here's a pic if you need convincing:

20190227_114647.jpg

Left is H&A, right is RB. I'm sure the color might have something to do with it, too, but the cut is just not ideal for moissanite.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
The NEO Diamond Cut is also a round brilliant, and I’ve heard from more than one person that’s pirchased them that they look flat and plasticky.

1amaN00b

Rough_Rock
Don't know how to post a video. IMG-20190226-WA0019.jpg

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I’d definitely go G-H. Even in white gold it’ll face up pretty white from what I’ve read and seen. The RB I got was G-H and it was plenty white.

For me, it’s about “believability” and that means a little warmer color. I’m not super color sensitive but the colorless looks like a CZ to me. Again, just my opinion. Lots of people get DEF and wouldn’t have it any other way!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Don't know how to post a video. IMG-20190226-WA0019.jpg
I would go G/H and the H&A cut. Just like othe’s have said, it will face up pretty white still, especially in white gold. I have had RB side stones and they are really flat. I have H&A solitaire and it looks great.

1amaN00b

Rough_Rock
IMG-20190305-WA0000.jpg

This is the CAD I got back from Starsgem. It's simple. Does anyone have any suggestion or concerns with it? It was a quick turnaround (received the CAD a few hours after payment).

The pendant will be matte with H&A stone.

cressyrose

Rough_Rock
Ooh can I ask how much this pendant cost? I would like to order something very similar. Can they make the chain as well? Thanks!

1amaN00b

Rough_Rock
IMG-20190313-WA0001.jpg
$145 that included all fees. Yes you can order chain but I opted out.

Attachments

• IMG-20190313-WA0019.jpg
    IMG-20190313-WA0019.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 56

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
IMG-20190313-WA0001.jpg
$145 that included all fees. Yes you can order chain but I opted out.
Wow, only $145 for a bezel??? :-o That’s crazy reasonable!

I saw on the Starsgem thread you said it had more fire before being mounted. I think bezels tend to “mute” the brilliance of stones, but they also make the stone appear bigger and enhance the facets of the stone. I personally love bezels but I know they’re not everyone’s cup of tea. Do you like it at least? I think it’s pretty and they did a good job with the bezel. :mrgreen2:

Did you do the H&A?

Last edited:

1amaN00b

Rough_Rock
Yep and after researching a bit after the fact, bezel does mute the fire and brilliance. I was going to get matching earrings too but im going to change it to 4 prongs with martini setting. Hopefully that won't mute the fire and brilliance.

I think they messed up with engraving the metal number btw the 2 holes where you loop a chain through. I'm actually discussing with them to have it put on the bottom. The wearer will see it looking down. Granted it'll be so small but still.

I still like it but that engraved number will annoy me
. IMG-20190313-WA0019.jpg

@sd_flp Do you think I'll lose fire and brilliance with the 4 prong martini stud setting? And yea I did the stone H&A with thick arrows.

Attachments

• IMG-20190313-WA0019.jpg
    IMG-20190313-WA0019.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

cressyrose

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for sharing! Mona quoted me $165 for a 6mm (pre-paypal) and I was thinking that was high :whistle:

1amaN00b

Rough_Rock
Earrings are done!
Are they too yellow? GH color
IMG-20190320-WA0000.jpg IMG-20190328-WA0002.jpg IMG-20190328-WA0000.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20190328-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20190328-WA0001.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG-20190328-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20190328-WA0001.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 24

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Earrings are done!
Are they too yellow? GH color
IMG-20190320-WA0000.jpg IMG-20190328-WA0002.jpg IMG-20190328-WA0000.jpg
I actually like the bezel in your earrings more than the pendant; the metal isn't as thick around the edges. Plus they look sparkly!

I see the warmth in these but personally I like the contrast.

1amaN00b

Rough_Rock
Yea I agree about the pendant. The bezel is a bit too thick. I'm about to make a solitaire ring for my mom. Trying to get a few things done to save on shipping.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Yea I agree about the pendant. The bezel is a bit too thick. I'm about to make a solitaire ring for my mom. Trying to get a few things done to save on shipping.
I forgot to add in my last comment that I think your earrrings will look much whiter in person than what Starsgem is showing you. I’m only basing this off other photos I’ve seen of GH stones from them.

Great, now I want bezel earrings. :lol: Although, maybe it’s a good thing for my wallet. If they made 24K gold I’d buy them ASAP. :twisted:

1amaN00b

Rough_Rock
Any feedback on this CAD besides the claw prongs? The ring setting should be tapered. Is it noticeable enough? Getting a ring made for mom. IMG-20190401-WA0003.jpg

tevyk

Rough_Rock
I have a RB moissanite. Don't get it, the cut makes it look awful under low light.
[...]
but the cut is just not ideal for moissanite.

Circling back to the original question about "Round Brilliant" vs "Hearts&Arrows" cut.

In diamonds, a "Hearts&Arrows" cut is not something distinct from round brilliant. It's just an indicator of an exceptionally well-cut round brilliant diamond with exceptional symmetry.

Why are they discussed on moissanite threads as being something different? The cut shape is the same...

Is the request then just for them to choose to cut it "well" (H&A) vs "not" (RB)? If the cutter can just arbitrarily make the choice to produce a well-cut H&A where (unlike diamonds) there is basically no economic downside to wasting the part of the rough -- why wouldn't they always just produce good cuts?

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Circling back to the original question about "Round Brilliant" vs "Hearts&Arrows" cut.

In diamonds, a "Hearts&Arrows" cut is not something distinct from round brilliant. It's just an indicator of an exceptionally well-cut round brilliant diamond with exceptional symmetry.

Why are they discussed on moissanite threads as being something different? The cut shape is the same...

Is the request then just for them to choose to cut it "well" (H&A) vs "not" (RB)? If the cutter can just arbitrarily make the choice to produce a well-cut H&A where (unlike diamonds) there is basically no economic downside to wasting the part of the rough -- why wouldn't they always just produce good cuts?
I haven’t been buying moissanite for that long so I don’t know who coined the term H&A for well-cut modern rounds. It might have been Charles and Colvard? They also still make round brilliant (splintery-cut) and “Hearts and Arrows” moissanites even though, like you said, they're both the same cut.

lindam1503

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for this information. I'm waiting to receive my first Moissanite loose stone from Stargems, and I picked a 7.5mm H&A that will be colorless :). My local jeweler will put it in a 4 prong basket mount for me, and it's really educational to read these posts. The fact that it'll be 1.5 carat DEW will probably be enough of a sign to people that it's not a diamond, so why not go colorless too?
I'm going to love wearing it, and I really appreciate you all with your expertise explaining the differences.
Btw, the cost was $115, with expedited shipping.

AK29

Shiny_Rock
Any feedback on this CAD besides the claw prongs? The ring setting should be tapered. Is it noticeable enough? Getting a ring made for mom. IMG-20190401-WA0003.jpg

May I ask who you speak to at Stargems to make your setting? Im curious since the price point seems lower than NA jewelers ...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results