shape
carat
color
clarity

Ross-Simons Rose Gold Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mak007

Rough_Rock
Hello! I'm new to the forum, so please feel free to redirect/correct me if I'm posting this in the wrong spot.

I've been tipped off that my boyfriend is getting me this Ross-Simons ring for my birthday. He previously ordered me a pearl ring from Overstock.com, but the ring's setting was too high to be practical (and the pictures online were misleading).

Anyway, although I believe this ring is delicate and lovely in the picture, I'm a little concerned about the diamonds in it. I love diamonds like all pretty things, but I don't like diamonds that are too small/flawed/unclear/dark to sparkle or shine and usually avoid buying jewelry like that. But this, obviously, is a gift from my boyfriend that he chose himself. I'm not hating on small stones, but I've found myself disappointed in the past with stones that are indistinguishable from the metal prong holding them in place.

Product Details (for Size 7)
Dimensions:
1/8 inch

Metal:
14kt Pink or Rose

Finish:
Polished

Stone 1:
Diamond (Quantity: 12, Shape: Round, Color Grade: H-I, Clarity: SI2-I1, 0.10 ct. t.w., Size: 1 mm)

So I have a couple of questions, and you all seem v. knowledgeable about diamond jewelry...

1) What do you think of the ring given the pics and online specs?

2) Do you think, if I should be disappointed with the look of the stones, that I could replace the stones with small (same size) or higher quality diamonds for a reasonable price? Would it even be worth it? My boyfriend's going to be gone this summer, so I could change the stones out in his absence.

If I really don't like something, I'm not afraid to bite the bullet and tell him. But since he's already sent back one ring, I'm doing my best to avoid disappointing him. He's never given me a ring before, and I just want everything to work out so we're both happy with it.

Thanks for your insight and opinions!

250761.jpg

mak007

Rough_Rock
Here is a better photo:

CM Capture 1.jpg

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PS!
35.gif

It''s really hard to tell from the pictures exactly how this ring will look in person. But given the TCW I don''t think the stones will very visible and probably not very sparkly. I also don''t think it''s practical to switch out the stones, because it would difficult to tell whether any larger stones that are placed into the pre-drilled holes would actually fit. In addition, the integrity of the metal could be compromised by switching out stones. Plus, and forgive me for being blunt, but why would you completely change a birthday gift from your BF behind his back? Seems to me he might feel slighted if you tried to switch out stones behind his back. Better to discuss what you want with him first, before he makes the purchase. Discussing your tastes before purchsing will leave you both satisfied. Just my $.02.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think you will necessarily be disappointed. I had a diamond ring from Ross Simons-baguettes bordered by rounds-and I loved it. I thought the diamond quality was fine. Unfortunately I lost it about a month ago and it wasn''t insured. Personally, I like that ring. You might be able to stack it.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
lulu: your post reminded me to relate my experience with Ross-Simons. I have purchased a couple of items from them, and have been very pleased. One was a lemon colored quartz ring with pink tourmaline side stones, and the other was an inital pendant with very, very small diamonds. I don''t question the quality of the workmanship at all with Ross-Simons.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
My parents bought me a 1 cttw diamond heart pendant from Ross-Simons that id really beautiful. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the diamonds.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I like the styling of the ring. The price is certainly a good one for the quality of diamonds in the piece. I''m sure they have a return policy if you or your BF are not satisfied with the sparkle/fire. I would not change out any diamonds in this ring.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I would be thrilled with just about any piece of jewelry FI bought me...especially if he picked it out on his own. I would even forgive a lapse in judgment that led to a gift that wasn''t to my normal standards...

I think you''ll be fine.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I2 = frozen spit for the most part.

I know they''re small, but still...I wouldn''t hold out much hope for decent looking diamonds at all.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 3:39:12 PM
Author: purrfectpear

I know they''re small, but still...I wouldn''t hold out much hope for decent looking diamonds at all.
Yes, but they are 12 SI-I1 (which may still be bad, but not I2 - assuming correct grading)

mak007

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the input! I hope I haven''t come off completely shallow in my assessment of the ring. I love anything my boyfriend gives me, so it''s not the diamonds that make the ring.

In the past, he has gotten me a wide variety of jewelry, nothing exorbitantly expensive (we''re in college) and never before a ring. However, he always finds pieces that are pretty and special to me (particularly when his mom helps him
2.gif
).

One time, however, he bought me a Pierre Cardin from Amazon, which has a really pretty face and thinner band, but it has little diamonds around the edge that you barely notice. It looks like studded metal--I''m sure you know what I''m talking about. I wear the watch almost everyday, and it is very fashionable IMO, but I could tell my BF was disappointed with the diamonds. The watch was greatly reduced in price (from Amazon), so he expected better. He even asked me then if I wanted to return it, which I refused, since it had many other attributes that I liked.

Personally, I avoid things with low diamond cttw because you''re paying extra for something that doesn''t enhance the piece at all, but my BF doesn''t fully understand that yet.
2.gif
Since we''ve already returned one ring and due to his prior disappointment, I''m trying to pace myself for mixed feeling on his (and my own) part when this ring arrives. Btw, a friend of mine tipped me off about this, as he was there when my BF ordered it. LOL.

I appreciate your comments. I don''t doubt that Ross-Simons will be bad quality, and for the ring itself, I think it''s a lovely pattern. But I know pictures can be deceiving, and the ccc''s don''t lie!
1.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The picture look lovely :) If you do get it, I hope you will share some pics :)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
4/14/2009 5:32:21 PM
Author: oldmancoyote

Date: 4/14/2009 3:39:12 PM
Author: purrfectpear

Yes, but they are 12 SI-I1 (which may still be bad, but not I2 - assuming correct grading)

Boy, am I slow! I had to read your posting about five times before I understood it, oldmancoyote! Twelve is not the same as "I" and "2"!!! Well, I am so glad that you gave this ring a thumbs up! Ross Simons does have some pretty jewelry sometimes and I love rose gold. I really hope that this ring works out!

AGBF
34.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
It's the thought that counts, but, you know, just an idea, you could ask your boyfriend to join you and post at pricescope! He could learn a lot in a short amount of time and the two of you could have a good time together. Just an idea.

mak007

Rough_Rock
Yes, that is an idea. In the future, once I get my ring (which should be any day now
21.gif
) I will give him this website for a little looky-loo. I love this site. It helps me feel less vain...not that I really think it is vain...to look at and admire jewelry. Who doesn''t have a love of pretty things, even when you can''t always (or usually, as a college student) afford them?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results