shape
carat
color
clarity

Rose Gold/Platinum/Palladium White Gold Durability

Beccabear

Rough_Rock
Hi!

I've been stalking for a while but thought it’s time I posted, my partner and I aren’t engaged yet but he’s asked me to send him some designs I like and wanted to know if I had a preference for certain stones and/or metals.

The metals is where I’m stuck, I have three thoughts.
1. Rose Gold with Platinum prongs
2. Platinum
3. Palladium White Gold

My concern with Rose Gold is simply the whole turning my finger green thing (I do have a rose gold plated ring from Pandora that hasn’t turned my finger green yet so I’m hoping that means 18k Rose Gold probably wouldn’t have a reaction), with Platinum I’ve never worn it before and heard some people say they don’t like the feel as it’s heavier, White Gold was always what I went for when I was younger but I don’t love the rhodium plated look or upkeep (which is why I was looking at Palladium White Gold, I like how it looks unplated)

I emailed the company we’ll be using (all the rings I like are from there and they do custom work too) and they wouldn’t give me the composition of metals used as it’s “a trade secret” but stated their white gold has palladium in it, but mixed with other alloys as the 75% Gold 25% Palladium “would not be durable for every day wear” she did say they don’t use Nickel and it’s hypoallergenic but that it would need plating.

I am new to this but I thought palladium was a fairly strong metal, given that it’s used in 95% purity in jewellery. Is it better to just go for Platinum because it’s the most durable over time?

Sorry if this has been addressed a million times!

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!

I've been stalking for a while but thought it’s time I posted, my partner and I aren’t engaged yet but he’s asked me to send him some designs I like and wanted to know if I had a preference for certain stones and/or metals.

The metals is where I’m stuck, I have three thoughts.
1. Rose Gold with Platinum prongs
2. Platinum
3. Palladium White Gold

My concern with Rose Gold is simply the whole turning my finger green thing (I do have a rose gold plated ring from Pandora that hasn’t turned my finger green yet so I’m hoping that means 18k Rose Gold probably wouldn’t have a reaction), with Platinum I’ve never worn it before and heard some people say they don’t like the feel as it’s heavier, White Gold was always what I went for when I was younger but I don’t love the rhodium plated look or upkeep (which is why I was looking at Palladium White Gold, I like how it looks unplated)

I emailed the company we’ll be using (all the rings I like are from there and they do custom work too) and they wouldn’t give me the composition of metals used as it’s “a trade secret” but stated their white gold has palladium in it, but mixed with other alloys as the 75% Gold 25% Palladium “would not be durable for every day wear” she did say they don’t use Nickel and it’s hypoallergenic but that it would need plating.

I am new to this but I thought palladium was a fairly strong metal, given that it’s used in 95% purity in jewellery. Is it better to just go for Platinum because it’s the most durable over time?

Sorry if this has been addressed a million times!

What appeals to you visually? Everyone is going to have different opinions on what they like. I personally love rose gold and hate platinum. I was originally engaged with a platinum ring (Tacori). It dented and scratched so easily it drove me insane. I swear it looked worn down within a week. My current wedding set is 14k rose gold and I love it. I love rose gold and purposefully chose 14k for color and durability. 14k or 18k rose gold will not turn green. Do not worry about that. Choose whether you want a white metal or pinkish gold metal and go from there.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Palladium WG is not 75% Au + 25% Pd - it always has additional trace alloys. If they can show you what their WG alloy looks like unplated, you can judge for yourself.

I hate the idea of plating precious metals and refuse to ever go that route.

Beccabear

Rough_Rock
What appeals to you visually? Everyone is going to have different opinions on what they like. I personally love rose gold and hate platinum. I was originally engaged with a platinum ring (Tacori). It dented and scratched so easily it drove me insane. I swear it looked worn down within a week. My current wedding set is 14k rose gold and I love it. I love rose gold and purposefully chose 14k for color and durability. 14k or 18k rose gold will not turn green. Do not worry about that. Choose whether you want a white metal or pinkish gold metal and go from there.

I love Rose Gold, always have my biggest worry was the whole chemical reaction thing which is why I looked at white metals to begin with, if there is very little chance of a reaction for 18k rose gold I would absolutely go for that.

Palladium WG is not 75% Au + 25% Pd - it always has additional trace alloys. If they can show you what their WG alloy looks like unplated, you can judge for yourself.

I hate the idea of plating precious metals and refuse to ever go that route.

I did ask for pictures, haven’t heard back yet

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ive never had rose gold make my fingers green - and those rings cake from the mall jewler

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results