carat
color
clarity

Rose cut pendant perfection from CvB

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sharing my mum's birthday gift ::)

Necklaces are #EasyWear for my mum. Opposite of me :bigsmile:. My dad felt we needed something big, but not overly flashy. A call for a rose cut diamond if I ever heard one! We chose the longest of a trio of rosie pears that I happened to have on-hand, all originally bought from Caysie - a 1.5ct H VVS2 beauty.

Y_REPORT.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dad liked the idea of a single halo, "satellite stones", as he calls them, and I requested full-cut melee for maximum contrast against the diaphanous centerstone. My mother's wardrobe choices typically range from brighter to brightest (opposite of me again!) so I knew we'd need to enclose the stone, but I wanted to be sure the underside would be easy to clean... And rather than some sort of plain ol' air-gapped plate, as I was expecting, Caysie - brilliant and *practical* artist that she is - came up with the idea of adding a locket-style latch :love:

The pendant is ~12mm wide and ~24mm long including the bale. We chose platinum for the centerstone bezel, to keep the stone ensconced in icy white metal, and 18k YG for the halo and bale to match her other pieces - nearly all her jewellery is high-karat YG. For the back plate strength was the top priority, so we decided on 10k WG (rhodium plated).

My first and final CADs. My projects with Caysie are almost always one-and-done in terms of design: She knows my style and she never seems to have trouble combining disparate wants into a cohesive aesthetic. And I hugely appreciate being able to blindly trust that my designer will come up with the prettiest possible incarnation of a design ❤️

Caysie_CAD_1.jpg

Caysie_CAD_2.jpg

Caysie_CAD_3.jpg

Caysie_CAD_4.jpg

Caysie_CAD_5.jpg

My dad liked the idea of a single halo, "satellite stones", as he calls them, and I requested full-cut melee for maximum contrast against the diaphanous centerstone. My mother's wardrobe choices typically range from brighter to brightest (opposite of me again!) so I knew we'd need to enclose the stone, but I wanted to be sure the underside would be easy to clean... And rather than some sort of plain ol' air-gapped plate, as I was expecting, Caysie - brilliant and *practical* artist that she is - came up with the idea of adding a locket-style latch :love:

The pendant is ~12mm wide and ~24mm long including the bale. We chose platinum for the centerstone bezel, to keep the stone ensconced in icy white metal, and 18k YG for the halo and bale to match her other pieces - nearly all her jewellery is high-karat YG. For the back plate strength was the top priority, so we decided on 10k WG (rhodium plated).

My first and final CADs. My projects with Caysie are almost always one-and-done in terms of design: She knows my style and she never seems to have trouble combining disparate wants into a cohesive aesthetic. And I hugely appreciate being able to blindly trust that my designer will come up with the prettiest possible incarnation of a design ❤️

Caysie_CAD_1.jpg

Caysie_CAD_2.jpg

Caysie_CAD_3.jpg

Caysie_CAD_4.jpg

Caysie_CAD_5.jpg

That plate is genius! Such a smart way of ensuring the stone can be kept clean while still giving the rose cut a little extra oomph! I’ve never seen it done that way - about the best way I’ve seen this accomplished in my own life is setting a rose cut the same way you would an “open setting” polki. But this is exceedingly clever. What an idea!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The CAD showed off the idea of a hinged back plate, but Caysie told me that the actual components would need to be handmade. I left all details of the latch mechanism up to her and her bench did a fantastic job, it's smooth and sturdy and minimally-protruding :appl:

Pics from Caysie :love: The white dots on the stone are just dust!! The whole project took about three months, from first asking her about it to having it in-hand. The halo is mined E/F VS ideal cuts, I believe ~0.35-0.4ctw - I'm not sure exactly what melee size she chose. (So, um, this is how hands-off I'm comfy being with her - for folks who've known me for a while, a wee bit different from the micromanagement of yore :lol:)

Caysie_Fin_A.png

Caysie_Fin_B.png

Caysie_Fin_C.png

Caysie_Fin_D.png

Caysie_Fin_E.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mother is swimming in chains. Inherited chains, purchased chains, she's got all the chains. Since gold's gone bananas lately we decided to reuse one of them - the middle one in this lineup, an old family piece. It's 22k, 16g, and the links are ~4mm wide, and the wire coil detail echoes the "snake skin" prong work kind of perfectly... :ugeek:

Y_FIN_1A.png

Y_FIN_1B.png

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finished pics!!

Y_FIN_2C.png

Y_FIN_2D.png

Y_FIN_2E.png

- - - - - - - - - -

Oh my hand. This thing is BIG. Bigger than I expected. But not crazy glitzy... The rose cut looks just like water flowing over a rock on a sunny day. Boxes checked!

Y_FIN_2A.png

Y_FIN_2B.png

- - - - - - - - - -

And she's home. My mother: "This is beautiful. I will wear this one." ::)

Y_FIN_P1.png

Y_FIN_P2.png

Y_FIN_P3.png

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah this is so lovely! What a beautiful present and it fits the brief to a T

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That plate is genius! Such a smart way of ensuring the stone can be kept clean while still giving the rose cut a little extra oomph! I’ve never seen it done that way - about the best way I’ve seen this accomplished in my own life is setting a rose cut the same way you would an “open setting” polki. But this is exceedingly clever. What an idea!
It really was kind of genius! And it's executed so discreetly, too - you can't see it at all from face-up, and the little nub is recessed enough that it's not going to catch on loose knits... I was totally expecting some sort of soldered plate. And Caysie quoted the project before she had this brainwave and she very kindly honoured that initial quote even though what she actually did was a lot more work ❤️

- - - - - - - - - -

Ah this is so lovely! What a beautiful present and it fits the brief to a T
Thank you!! It's not my personal style but it suits my mum perfectly!! And I really can't think of a single thing I'd change on a do-over, it came out beautifully :love:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Understated elegance, love it! :kiss2:

I bet your mum and go big in terms of jewellery though - just imagine the fun you could have in helping her and spending her money in the process! :lol-2:

DK =)2

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooooohhhh..... So pretty :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

I love your description of the rosie looking like water flowing over a pebble on a sunny day. I can literally hear the quiet ripple.....

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Your write ups are as fun to read as your jewelry is to look at.
This is another beautiful confection by CVB. I am a fan. What a lovely pendant. The back is genious!

blingthing

Shiny_Rock
A gorgeous gift. I hope your mum enjoys it for many years. It really is stunning and so cleverly designed!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bet your mother loved it! It is beautiful and so well executed. Thanks for sharing with us!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie would you borrow it from time to time? :Up_to_something:

I would if my mum has a piece that I like!

DK :lol-2:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Wow that is just beautiful and I really love that unique chain.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooooohhhh..... So pretty :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

I love your description of the rosie looking like water flowing over a pebble on a sunny day. I can literally hear the quiet ripple.....

YAS!!! perfect description for that rosie…

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Birthday to your Mum! The pendant and chain look perfect on her. So glad it garnered her stamp of “will wear” approval. As far as I am concerned, any piece that receives that comment from a parent means you can call it a day. The rosie is gorgeous and soothing to the spirit. :love::love: Caysie outdid herself on the setting. Project completed!!!

fascinatedbyfacets

Rough_Rock
Wow! Newbie diamond lover here, I will have to learn all the secrets to sourcing amazing diamonds like this and finding outstanding bench jewelers like I’m seeing here! Ingenious!

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow!! What a lucky "Mum" your Mom is!! Such a thoughtful and beautiful gift from such thoughtful and beautiful daughter!!
Love the design and love the idea. :love:

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
*Stunning* stone and pendant design, and that latched cover is absolutely brilliant! CVB for the win again!! I'm so glad your mom loves it. It looks perfect on her!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I definitely took note when I saw this pendant on CVB’s IG, as the movable back plate was such a brilliant idea. Is this the same rose cut that you had on preloved for a hot minute??? Good thing you pulled it since it’s PERFECT and so beautiful. Just from the pics I can somehow tell that your mom loves it and that your dad is proud of it too!

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
SO SO pretty❤️❤️ - so glad your mom loves it. What’s not to love?:D

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Utterly gorgeous!!!!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How lovely! Congratulations and happy birthday to your mother! Beautiful job by Caysie, as always.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, that pendant is amazing! I don't usually like rose cut diamonds but I LOVE everything about this one. And the setting.............!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results