shape
carat
color
clarity

Rose cut diamond ring, reproduction or period?

EC4Ever

Rough_Rock
I purchased a ring that has rose cut diamonds and I'm trying to determine if it's actually an antique or a reproduction, I was researching Georgian rings and it's missing the typical foiled back. Any ideas? Thanks!

_37580.jpg

_37581.jpg

Sunfish

Shiny_Rock
Is it stamped 14K? that's usually a tipoff that it is a reproduction. Also the lack of a foiled back would be another indication of repro unless there are signs of it having been removed which people tend to do it water has gotten in there to prevent further damage. :wavey:

edit: have you had it tested for metal content? Sometimes silver was used to set the rose cuts because it was softer. Regardless, a stamp is usually the first tip off to me.

EC4Ever

Rough_Rock
Hi Sunfish, I just received it today and it does have 2 hallmarks but they are very worn and unreadable, it doesn't look like the backing was removed, so I guess the open back is original. It looks handmade and I can't see any evidence of casting, so I believe it's old, but most likely not as old as I'd hoped. I bought it from an online shop so I'm probably going to return it. Thank you for your help. :angel:

Edit: it's was listed as tested for silver and 14kt gold.

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've noticed several reproduction Georgian rings popping up on Lang antiques. I think they mention they think they were produced in the mid twentieth century. Like this one. At first glance it sure looks Georgian. Either way, I hope you love your new rose cut. Would love to see hand shots!

Here is what Lang's said about the ring: Most likely created in mid-twentieth century Holland, in faithful emulation of early-nineteenth century English Georgian style,

dutch_rose_cut_lang_s.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results