shape
carat
color
clarity

Rose Cut Diamond for Engagement Ring

HiroProtagonist

Rough_Rock
Hello!

First off, thank you to everybody on the forums for your knowledge. I've been trawling the forums for months now and getting tons of great ideas for building an engagement ring. At this point I've come up with the idea for the ring, and am just looking for the stone.

The ring will have a pear shaped stone in the middle that is turned sideways (parallel to the band) with a small brilliant diamond on each side of it. I've seen many beautiful rings of this sort that I liked on Etsy, and she really likes the vintage/art-deco look so I wanted to go with a rose cut diamond for the center stone, and set it in a bezel. The first issue I'm having is that most of the rose cut diamonds I've found are SI2 or worse. What are your thoughts on the detriment of some inclusions considering that it will be in a bezel setting? I felt that .40cts was a good range, but I DO have access to a rose cut that's .24cts and VS2 quality, which is very appealing.

The second question is regarding the value of fancy colors. While I know that it's up to me/her on whether fancy colors would add to the ring, I'm having WAY too much trouble deciding. I obviously wouldn't want to go so dark as champagne, but something that was slightly colored might look very beautiful--so long as it still was clearly a diamond!

Also, the only place I've been able to find any good rose cut diamonds is on EBay, and those are extremely limited as well. I talked to JbEG, as well as every other Jewelers I've been able to find on the forum that are noted as having rose cuts. If you have any other ideas/suggestions I'd really appreciate it. I just contacted Manak, and got no luck there.

Lastly, I spotted this diamond on EBay and it looked like an extremely good deal. I'm not sure WHERE the inclusion(s) is/are, and I asked that question and have yet to hear back. What are your thoughts on it? Would you consider it a good deal? Would going with a brilliant pear in the middle sacrifice the art-deco look?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370546142556

Here are the other diamonds I was considering. If any of them strike you as spectacular for the ring, PLEASE let me know--I'm dying here.

I thought this one was great, but there's a chip in it. ON THE OTHER HAND, do you think the chip would be covered by the bezel?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-38cts-PEAR-ROSE-CUT-LIGHT-COLOR-NATURAL-LOOSE-DIAMOND/271241550708

I liked this one quite a bit, but wasn't sure if it was too yellow.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-31cts-PEAR-FANCY-YELLOW-NATURAL-LOOSE-DIAMOND-/310669205180?pt=Loose_Diamonds&hash=item485553debc#shId

I really liked this one but I wasn't sure if the foggy color was something that would be visible/apparent in the ring
http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-35cts-PEAR-FANCY-PLATINUM-YELLOW-NATURAL-LOOSE-DIAMOND-/310644243161?pt=Loose_Diamonds&hash=item4853d6fad9

Thank you so much for your time and help.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
There was a gorgeous rose cut pear listed on Loupe Troop a couple of months ago- it does not show that it is sold, so you may want to take a look. It's .69ct and was originally purchased from JBEG. I remember it, because I seriously thought of purchasing it. It's a really pretty diamond!

HiroProtagonist

Rough_Rock
Ooh! That is amazing! Thank you!

What did you think of the ones I had been looking at?

--Colin

nowicanseethemoon

Shiny_Rock
What's your budget? And do you want a rose cut or a modern cut pear? They're very different looks. I personally think if you're going for a modern pear, you can do a lot better than the ones you found on ebay. I know people find great deals, but you have to really know what you're doing to not get taken advantage of. JbEG is a very reputable seller and the rose cut pear (that is listed in Preloved) will be exactly what they say it is. But if you want a modern pear, if you give us your budget, the miracle diamond searchers on here will find you a ton of options in your price range.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Rose cut pear and regular cut pear are 2 very different things. On the links I clicked on you seem to be shopping by ct weight and a full cut pear about .33 is only going to be about 3x5ish whereas a rose cut will be bigger for carat weight because rose cuts have no pavilion. A rose cut of any flavor (round, cushion, pear) is an entirely different sort of diamond and looks entirely different in terms of how it plays with light (and, just IMO, it's also critical what kind of setting you put a rose cut in to maximize their good traits but that's a different topic). Just be sure to check the 'spread" of the stones you are looking at as well as the ct weight.

HiroProtagonist

Rough_Rock
My budget is somewhat flexible. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not completely sure what I'm doing. I'm looking to spend somewhere in the range of $1,000 for the entire ring, so from what I can tell my budget should be near $500?

The idea for the ring is below--the picture on the left was what I was thinking it would look like.

In regards to the setting for the ring--is bezel a good one? From everything I've read on rose cuts bezel seems to be a solid choice.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/v/911224_10151884328534282_1325763716_n.jpg?oh=508b0677c2e34f16e3b830d62e946574&oe=52326CD5

HiroProtagonist

Rough_Rock
@bastetcat, thank you for the info. That helps a ton. For some reason I noobishly confused natural with rose cut.

The Rose Cut on LT is freaking amazing but probably a little out of my budget. I also was hoping for something a little bit smaller--I don't know if you can see by the picture, but I'm looking for something relatively minimal. The .24 was actually not too bad in size, I just wanted something SLIGHTLY larger--maybe in the realm of .35

What were your thoughts on this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-38cts-PEAR-ROSE-CUT-LIGHT-COLOR-NATURAL-LOOSE-DIAMOND/271241550708

I know it's SI3 but that seems to only be because of the chip and (at the risk of sounding tacky) would that be covered by the bezel?

Thank you again! You guys are amazing. Seriously, after only a couple posts on here I already know more than I did after 2 months of travelling around different jewelers in Seattle.

nowicanseethemoon

Shiny_Rock
I can't really tell on the Ebay stone. I would email and ask if the stone is certified, and by which lab (GIA, EGL, etc). It would be nice to read a report on why it's graded an SI3 (which as I understand is really an I1 under GIA - isn't that right PSers?). Someone who is more comfortable than me on Ebay can chime in, but if it was me, I wouldn't buy it just because I have no confidence in what you're getting.

The rose cut pear in Preloved has been for sale for awhile, so the seller might be willing to negotiate a bit. It doesn't hurt to ask. And this isn't a pear, but a lovely rose cut in a bezel setting.

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.c...-Ring/22058442_PZwdz5#!i=1760343645&k=MdmWgsP

You could also contact JbEG and ask if they can source a rose cut pear in the size you're aiming for. Then you are at least knowing you're purchasing from a trustworthy source.

HiroProtagonist

Rough_Rock
Ah yes, I already spoke with JbEG and they didn't have any, sadly. I had looked at the one you posted before and loved it. I'm really into pear cut, but I used those three stones to help me (start to) decide what gold to use!

--Colin

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I love the idea of the rose cut pear and I would consider the preloved stone that was shown in the previous post. I would stay away from ebay unless you really know your stats and have experience looking at stones.

the stones you have shown us IMHO be considered. the suggestions that have been given to you thus far are really great. I am in love with that preloved rose cut pear. It is a beautiful stone and if it is available I would grab it.

Good luck

HiroProtagonist

Rough_Rock
Ah, I contacted her with an offer, but it's out of my price range. I spoke with prijems, and they have a pretty great price on rose cuts. Anybody who is looking for a rose cut, I'd suggest talking to them--I guess they "manufacture" them there (which I'm not quite sure what that means)...

Thank you all for your help! I definitely would have gone for one of those that I had posted without the advice you provided!

One last question: My local jeweler has a rose cut diamond that is gorgeous and in good condition/good clarity that's 0.24cts for $200. What are your thoughts? It's VS2/SI1. My main questions is: would 0.24cts be too small for the design I'm going for?

Thanks!
--Colin

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results