shape
carat
color
clarity

Rookie in need of advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ruomega1

Rough_Rock
I stumbled upon Pricescope a few weeks ago in my search to get a diamond education and have been lurking ever since. I would first like to thank all of you because your forums have been very helpful and informative (especially for a beginner like me). The reason for this post is to garner some advice on a stone and a setting that i have been looking at. My gf of 4 years is getting anxious about getting married and i decided it''s time to start looking for a ring. Armed with a basic understanding of diamonds, I began looking for a ring at Costco because she had seen one there that she had liked. The style was antique (almost like the Tiffany Legacy) with a halo around a center stone. Well i started to look around at different Costco''s (3 different ones in my area) and i couldn''t find one that was similar enough to the original one she liked. I then stumbled on this forum and started to educate myself on the finer points of diamonds. After looking at online vendors, i decided on the Vatche Grace setting with a RB stone from Excel diamonds. Before i go ahead and make a major purchase i wondered if i could solicit some opinions on the stone. Here are links to the the GIA and Image Scope:

GIA

ImageScope

And here is the Costco Ring Style vs. the Vatche Grace

Costco

Vatche

I''m on a budget of about 5K for the ring so this combo is close to my upper limit (stone - 3200 setting - 1800). Do you think that this ring will look small on her finger (she''s about a size 6.75)? Will palladium hold up well enough for the halo design? Is a faint fluorescence that noticeable? Thank you for reading my drawn out post and i look forward to any friendly advice that you can offer.

Splinter

Shiny_Rock
Hi ruomega1

Firstly, the diamond looks pretty good. G is a nice colour to go for to keep the cost down, but the quality decent. The cut seems good too. I prefer an AGS report myself, but an excellent from the GIA should be fine.

Regarding the rings, they look pretty darn similar to me! I have to say I prefer the Vatche Grace, but I tend to prefer simpler lines in most designs. Either way, they''re good looking rings. The halo means there won''t be any problem with the ring looking too small.

I doubt the fluorescence will be noticeable. Even medium fluorescence only gets the milky look is certain lighting conditions.

I can''t really answer about the palladium, but I''m sure another PS''er can give some insight in that regard.

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, welcome and congratulations. :)

The stone looks as if it should be lovely - scores very well indeed on the Holloway Cut Advisor - and is a very nice combination of colour, clarity and size IMHO. :)

The Vatche setting you have chosen is beautiful and the halo will really make that diamond stand out! I can''t comment on the paladium, but am sure another PSer will advise.

I visited a whole loads of jewellers with my best friend so she could find out what she likes and doesn''t like. She has quite large fingers (something like a 7 or 7.5) and so needed quite a bit more finger coverage. You might like to know that she absolutely fell in love with a 0.80ct diamond and thought it was just perfect on her finger... so I am sure this diamond will look stunning on your gf.

You will probably never even notice the faint fluorescence. :)

x x x

ruomega1

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your input. I was hoping that the .8 wouldn''t look too small (partially why i am glad she likes the halo design) and it is reassuring to have an independent opinion on the stone. Do you recommend having the stone shipped to a separate appraiser to be evaluated or would that be unnecessary? Again, thank your for the help.

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
You''re welcome :)

Getting an appraisal is entirely up to you. I bought an AGS0 from DiamondsonWeb.com and didn''t bother with an independent appraisal... but some people prefer having one done.

For me, knowing the diamond was certed by a top lab such as AGSL or GIA was enough.

If you do choose to get an appraisal, make sure your your appraiser is truly independent (doesn''t sell jewellery or diamonds) and get it appraised before the diamond is mounted.

x x x

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results