shape
carat
color
clarity

Rolex vs Cartier

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mbr102865

Rough_Rock
I found this site so useful when my husband and I upgraded my wedding set. Now, I am trying to make a decision as to whether to purchase a stainless steel lady datejust rolex or a stainless steel small tank franc...

What are your opinions/experiences with etiher watch?

Thanks for your input.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Well, if I could afford either brand, I would choose Cartier. I just prefer their tank and panther styles above all others. IMO they have a classic quiet elegance that will never look dated, or ostentatious.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have the staniless steel Cartier, panther watch, it keeps great time and has held up very well over the years. I prefer the look of the Cartier, the Rolex datejust doesn''t do it for me.

Icy Melona

Shiny_Rock
Don''t own a Cartier but our whole entire family owns Rolex watches (family tradition is that you''re given a matching pair on your wedding day :D) and I do think that it lasts and lasts and the lifetime afterservice is also impeccable. My father wears his father''s Rolex from 1930s and it''s running fine to this day.

My only quip is that Rolex designs don''t really seem to vary much. A gal friend of mine owns a Cartier Tank wristwatch and I do think it looks subtle and elegant.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I own a Rolex because of the classic style and the quality of the movement that has over 200 moving parts. Cartier designs beautiful jewelry but most of their watches have a quartz movement and so you are paying for cartier jewelry rather then a true time piece like Rolex.Cartier makes jewelry...Rolex makes timepieces.

Kissmark

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/19/2008 2:08:45 AM
Author: jewelerman
I own a Rolex because of the classic style and the quality of the movement that has over 200 moving parts. Cartier designs beautiful jewelry but most of their watches have a quartz movement and so you are paying for cartier jewelry rather then a true time piece like Rolex.Cartier makes jewelry...Rolex makes timepieces.
I completely agree w/ this, so for my first "real" watch i got Rolex. I wasn''t really into Rolex watches at first because I didn''t like the way they look in display, but when I put them on my wrist I really loved it.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Jewlerman, if you want to get all horological and all, I'd say that Rolex makes tanks, while other high end manufacture houses make fine time pieces (JLC, Patek, U-N, etc.). To me, a Rolex is a beast of a watch, in a good way! Like a Sherman Tank. It take a lot to break one so they can stand up to a lot of wear and tear and dont need to be babied at all. They keep on going, most styles are automatic movements, which I love also.

Cartier is indeed more fashiony, jewelry like than a Rolex, if we're talking Tanks vs. Datejusts and not the mega blinged out versions...I'm not aware of the Cartier Tanks being anything other than Quartz movements, which means battery changes. Something to consider if that's an issue for you, or if you like the idea of an automatic movement.

Icy Melona, I love that wedding day tradition in your family...what a lovely idea!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Surfgirl,
I love it when you talk all Horological and all!Seriously i very much agree with what you have said...Rolex has a heavier case that allows for better wear(the water tight case was their invention as was the rotating date window) then lighter timepieces(be still my heart!)made by the upper super fine houses of Patek(the best watch made) and JLC(they once made movements for Rolex).The Cartier Tank style watch was designed to commemorate the rescue of France from the Germans during the First World War.The Tank is available in both quart movements and mechanical hand wind movements for those who think a watch with a quartz movement is a watch without a soul.The mechanical movement Tanks are close to double the price for the same watch with a quartz movement.I hate dealing with battery changes!Thanks for the interesting post!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/19/2008 9:51:42 PM
Author: surfgirl
Jewlerman, if you want to get all horological and all, I''d say that Rolex makes tanks, while other high end manufacture houses make fine time pieces (JLC, Patek, U-N, etc.). To me, a Rolex is a beast of a watch, in a good way! Like a Sherman Tank. It take a lot to break one so they can stand up to a lot of wear and tear and dont need to be babied at all. They keep on going, most styles are automatic movements, which I love also.
i agree 101% with surfgirl
36.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/20/2008 12:52:20 AM
Surfgirl,
I love it when you talk all Horological and all!Seriously i very much agree with what you have said...Rolex has a heavier case that allows for better wear(the water tight case was their invention as was the rotating date window) then lighter timepieces(be still my heart!)made by the upper super fine houses of Patek(the best watch made) and JLC(they once made movements for Rolex).The Cartier Tank style watch was designed to commemorate the rescue of France from the Germans during the First World War.The Tank is available in both quart movements and mechanical hand wind movements for those who think a watch with a quartz movement is a watch without a soul.The mechanical movement Tanks are close to double the price for the same watch with a quartz movement.I hate dealing with battery changes!Thanks for the interesting post!
when ? what model ?

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Jman, have you ever seen that famous review/article on Timezone where the guy did a disection of a Rolex and the movement, compared to one of the in house manufacture brands? It''s amazing! The Rolex looks like Frankenstein, compared to the pristine and very delicate high end movement. It''s really interesting to see the difference of what''s actually inside two supposedly high end watches!

To that end, I once owned a vintage Blancpain for a NY minute but the damned thing had fatal flaws that not even several trips to the BP "spa" couldn''t ever fix - seems those double barreled 100 hour power reserves are twitchier than an inbred thoroughbred racehorse! But I did let my local watch dude open the back and we just gazed upon the inner workings...It was amazing to look at but even he wouldn''t touch it as he had no experience with double barrels...Alas...it was a beautiful watch to behold. But if it dont work, I dont want it!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
off the top of my head these are the watch Companies that uses 100% inhouse movements in all of their models.

Rolex...since they started using their own movement in the Daytona model a few yrs ago.

Patek Philippe... since they started using their own movement in chrono watches a few yrs ago.

JLC
Lange
Glashutte Original
Zenith

there're hundreds of different watch brands,but only a hand full produce their own movements. in other words....not many that we can call "true manufacture" of watches.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Well, the technical term for this is "manufacture." (Edit: Dancing Fire beat me to it.) It means a watch company that makes the watch and the movement in-house. Of course, there are varying degrees to which a watch company might make every single part (no company or independent maker actually does). Rolex is a manufacture. So is Jaeger-LeCoultre. Cartier is not. This is not to say that one should buy one over the other, however. Personally, I like Jaeger-LeCoultre and the fact that they make their movements, but to each her or his own. I wouldn't turn down my nose at a quartz watch. They might not have the romance of a mechanical watch, but they are incredibly accurate and trouble-free.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Walt Odets was the guy. The internet watch forums had flame wars for years because of that article! They were called "the Rolex Wars" and there are a few people left from that time. That was ten years ago when that happened. Walt was a little unfair. He never proved that that Explorer lacked either accuracy or durability and despite Rolex's famous reputation, he shouldn't have expected it to have the movement finish of his beloved JLC. Those flame wars created a lot of traffic on TimeZone when Richard Page owned it. He sold it to the people who own it now. It was a lot less formal in those days and a lot less heavily moderated. Thank you for letting me reminisce.
1.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2008 12:58:19 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

Surfgirl,

when ? what model ?

Just a point of clarification- Rolex has always made its own movements. JLC made movements for Patek. Also for Vacheron Constantin and Audemars Piguet.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/19/2008 9:51:42 PM
Jewlerman, if you want to get all horological and all, I''d say that Rolex makes tanks, while other high end manufacture houses make fine time pieces (JLC, Patek, U-N, etc.). To me, a Rolex is a beast of a watch, in a good way! Like a Sherman Tank. It take a lot to break one so they can stand up to a lot of wear and tear and dont need to be babied at all. They keep on going, most styles are automatic movements, which I love also.

Cartier is indeed more fashiony, jewelry like than a Rolex, if we''re talking Tanks vs. Datejusts and not the mega blinged out versions...I''m not aware of the Cartier Tanks being anything other than Quartz movements, which means battery changes. Something to consider if that''s an issue for you, or if you like the idea of an automatic movement.

Icy Melona, I love that wedding day tradition in your family...what a lovely idea!
There are some automatic movements in the mens Tank Francaise.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
ust a point of clarification- Rolex has always made its own movements. JLC made movements for Patek. Also for Vacheron Constantin and Audemars Piguet.

Im danny,
Today Rolex is a full in-house manufacture.They make the case,bracelet, and movements for the their watches.But they havent always been completely in house.Hans Walsdorf started the company around 1905 and in its early years he out sourced many(not all) of the movements and parts.This went on for years through out the world wars and the depression.Manufactors like JLC and Piaget were respected as movement makers and supplied many of the top watch makers with movements...especially for womens watches.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot to vote! I would go for the Tank Franc!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I remember that article by Walt and the negative debates it caused.It caused alot of debate/discussion on other forums like Turf(The ultimate rolex forum)as well.10 years has gone by fast.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
jewelerman, I've never heard of a Rolex watch with a JLC movement. If you have any site that talks about one I would be truly interested to read it!

But I stand corrected that Rolex always made its own movements. I shouldn't have said that anyway because of the old Daytona but there you go. Thank you.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t really care about the wars over whether or not Rolex is really a "luxury" brand or not because let''s face it, other than a Patek, no other watch brand holds its value like a Rolex, sherman tank movement or not. What I found so interesting about Walt''s article was the photos of a Rolex movement compared to a JLC movement. It was fascinating to see the tank like workings of the Rolex, then see the dainty, perfectly finished JLC movement, with it''s gorgeously worked bridges and springs that were like fairy wings. I could care less about the actual debate. As long as you love your watch and it works without losing too much per day, then whatever!

Then again, very few people really know about watches these days...In fact, nobody knows what I''m wearing when I wear my JLC, and I like that anonymity, only a real watch lover will comment and if they do, I know we can have an instant conversation about horological matters. Most Rolex wearers no little about watches per se, but who cares (I wonder how many Rolex are sold per year vs. other Houses)? Another point, which as a woman pisses me off, is that so many of the finer Houses do not make automatics for their ladies lines, only for the men. It''s so bizarre to me. I''ve heard all sorts of reasons like "ladies like to change the battery, it''s easier"...blah blah blah. There were quite a few watches that I looked at seriously until I realized they were only offered in quartz. I like knowing my watch is winding itself, it''s like it''s got it''s own little heart beating inside.

Lorelei, I''m not surprised that Cartier makes a few automatics in their mens line, otherwise they could not compete with other luxury brands that offer mainly automatic or manual wind watches.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/20/2008 4:52:58 AM
Author: Imdanny

Date: 6/20/2008 12:58:19 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

Surfgirl,

when ? what model ?

Just a point of clarification- Rolex has always made its own movements. JLC made movements for Patek. Also for Vacheron Constantin and Audemars Piguet.
Rolex was still using movements made by Zenith in their Daytona model until about 6 yrs ago. Patek was still using Lemania movement in their chrono model until about 5 yrs ago.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/20/2008 1:02:17 PM
I didn''t really care about the wars over whether or not Rolex is really a ''luxury'' brand or not because let''s face it, other than a Patek, no other watch brand holds its value like a Rolex, sherman tank movement or not. What I found so interesting about Walt''s article was the photos of a Rolex movement compared to a JLC movement. It was fascinating to see the tank like workings of the Rolex, then see the dainty, perfectly finished JLC movement, with it''s gorgeously worked bridges and springs that were like fairy wings. I could care less about the actual debate. As long as you love your watch and it works without losing too much per day, then whatever!

Then again, very few people really know about watches these days...In fact, nobody knows what I''m wearing when I wear my JLC, and I like that anonymity, only a real watch lover will comment and if they do, I know we can have an instant conversation about horological matters. Most Rolex wearers no little about watches per se, but who cares (I wonder how many Rolex are sold per year vs. other Houses)? Another point, which as a woman pisses me off, is that so many of the finer Houses do not make automatics for their ladies lines, only for the men. It''s so bizarre to me. I''ve heard all sorts of reasons like ''ladies like to change the battery, it''s easier''...blah blah blah. There were quite a few watches that I looked at seriously until I realized they were only offered in quartz. I like knowing my watch is winding itself, it''s like it''s got it''s own little heart beating inside.

Lorelei, I''m not surprised that Cartier makes a few automatics in their mens line, otherwise they could not compete with other luxury brands that offer mainly automatic or manual wind watches.
SG
35.gif
what model JLC do you own? i love JLC watches
30.gif

always wanted a JLC Master Perpetual PG silver dial with clear back, but JLC never made this model with a crystal back.
39.gif

my guess...(no i didn''t google
25.gif
) Rolex probably produce about 1 million watches per yr. Patek....maybe like 25,000 per yr?

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I have a JLC Master, S/S with both a black croc band and a tan ostrich band. I got the older model with the solid s/s back with the gold seal. It also says "Automatique" which I love. The new larger models dont say "Automatique", and the have an exhibition back, which I dont really care about. I prefer the safety/security of the solid back plus the gold seal is cool. I think the concept of exhibition backs is nice. For like a minute. But I dont think I''d gaze at the movement very often so I dont really care if I can see it or not. It''s interesting how the sound of the movement is like a soft purring on the JLC, while the Rolex is more like a whirring sound...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/20/2008 1:02:17 PM
I didn't really care about the wars over whether or not Rolex is really a 'luxury' brand or not because let's face it, other than a Patek, no other watch brand holds its value like a Rolex, sherman tank movement or not. What I found so interesting about Walt's article was the photos of a Rolex movement compared to a JLC movement. It was fascinating to see the tank like workings of the Rolex, then see the dainty, perfectly finished JLC movement, with it's gorgeously worked bridges and springs that were like fairy wings. I could care less about the actual debate. As long as you love your watch and it works without losing too much per day, then whatever!

Then again, very few people really know about watches these days...In fact, nobody knows what I'm wearing when I wear my JLC, and I like that anonymity, only a real watch lover will comment and if they do, I know we can have an instant conversation about horological matters. Most Rolex wearers no little about watches per se, but who cares (I wonder how many Rolex are sold per year vs. other Houses)? Another point, which as a woman pisses me off, is that so many of the finer Houses do not make automatics for their ladies lines, only for the men. It's so bizarre to me. I've heard all sorts of reasons like 'ladies like to change the battery, it's easier'...blah blah blah. There were quite a few watches that I looked at seriously until I realized they were only offered in quartz. I like knowing my watch is winding itself, it's like it's got it's own little heart beating inside.

Lorelei, I'm not surprised that Cartier makes a few automatics in their mens line, otherwise they could not compete with other luxury brands that offer mainly automatic or manual wind watches.
I know, I would love to have an automatic, but as usual I wasn't given the choice, so quartz it is.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my circles I often hear Rolex getting somewhat mixed reviews in terms of its time keeping. I wear my grandfathers Rolex from the early 70''s. I find that it keeps decent time as long as I don''t allow the movement to completely unwind and stop. On the rare occasion that i let it stop, I say that the watch gets mad at me, as it takes a while to start running again after I put it back on, often as long as a day or two. I have had it serviced recently and it still mysteriously can loose or gain time. So I would say a watch winder is a near necessity if you don''t plan on wearing it every day. In comparison I have a mechanical Omega of similar vintage, and after years of being still I started wearing it and it keeps near perfect time never being serviced. The Omega is my secondary watch and as a result I wear it rarely, and the moment I pick it up it starts running perfectly. So I guess I like my Rolex for its character and prestige. If you want a truly accurate watch that you don''t have to wear everyday or get a winder for, I would recommend something other than Rolex. Heck even my Timex keeps better time (I often set my Rolex against it). I don''t wear my Rolex to tell me the exact time, however, I enjoy it for other reasons. If i really wanted to know what time it was, I would look at my cell phone.
3.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
surfgirl, last I knew JLC produced something like 35,000 and Rolex a million. But I don''t know now. There''s been a lot of growth in the industry.

I owned an early ''90s stainless Air-King (with silver face), IWC Cal. 89 (with same), JLC MUT (with same, solid back). I still own the Rolex. I want a new MUT (with the open back because that''s the only choice).

mbr102865

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your input. I now have a second question: Is there a reliable, trustworthy website from which to purchase either a cartier or rolex watch?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results