shape
carat
color
clarity

Rolex Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

weemodin

Shiny_Rock
Hey all you watch experts out there!

I have a Rolex Oyster Perpetual Lady Datejust. Now, people tell me they''re supposed to be good watches. However, everyone I know who has one complains that their watch looses at least 5 minutes a month? I feel like I''m constantly re-setting my watch.

I never take the thing off, so it''s not a kinetic energy problem. Can anyone explain?

Thanks in advance!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I've heard a lot of people complain that Rolex watches lose a couple minutes over a week. Funny thing is, my husband has had his Rolex for about 5 years and it loses less than a couple seconds in a week. Since they are mechanical watches, would the time-loss phenomenon be different with every watch?

DiamondLil

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Any mechanical watch will begin having some minor problems over time. Think about it, this is the only mechanical thing you own that runs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, year after year. I would hate to see what would happen to my car, lawn mower, etc. if it ran 24/7 for 10 or 20 years. Even our own health fails over the years, but the better you take care of yourself the better chance you have to live a healthier life, same with your Rolex.

A quartz watch will have much less time loss, is easier to clean and service, but requires a battery every so often. Quartz is also not a work of art, just a printed circuit board, a quartz crystal, and a electric motor to drive the hands.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I've had quite a bit of discussion about this. One, the bracelet must fit the wrist tight. Two, when you do adjust for lost time - push in and wind - then shake. It's worked for us so far. I do find if I don't wear for extended time - it looses some time.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Mine used to lose lots of time (10 min a week if I remember correctly), and it was only 3-4 years old. I took it in and had it serviced (to the tune of about $300
6.gif
) and now it doesn't lose time at all. My only problem is not wearing it all the time, so it stops after a while.

My husband wears his all the time and has never had trouble with it losing time. His is about 12 - 14 years old. The only trouble he's had is when he swam with it on and it wasn't screwed in tightly. That was another expensive repair!

weemodin

Shiny_Rock
F&I -- the bracelet fits tight and I do adjust time like that -- still loses time, though! And it's not even that old -- I got it new for college graduation in may of 2002, so it's less than two years old.

Ugh, lop, $300 seems like a lot of money to make a watch that was originally fairly pricey do its job -- that is KEEP TIME -- correctly.

Guess I'll just continue being late! My FI always makes fun of the watch -- calls it an expensive piece of @#$% watch, but quite a nice bracelet!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Yeah -- I agree that $300 is way more than it should be just to make an expensive watch work the way it should have in the first place. I felt as if it should have been covered since the Rolex brand is about "quality". But...the Rolex warranty is only one year which turns out to be pretty useless unless you got a lemon or something. After that, it looks as if there is a maintenance cost to the watch. I've done the one service in 6 years and now have no problems. My husband has had 2 (one was because of his own mistake) in about 14 years.

All in all... I really do consider it jewelery. Mine is stainless with a blue face with tiny diamonds instead of numbers. It is very pretty, but can be very hard to read in some lights. I'm always asking my husband what time it is!
6.gif

Cohiba Aficionado

Rough_Rock
Since our resident watch guru, the Rodentman is currently occupied with Looie, I suggest you pose your question to the Rolex watch nuts over on TimeZone, they can tell you just how accurate your watch should be to the second per year! http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=threadt&frm_id=27

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
FYI, Rolex now has a 2 year warranty (changed about 1 year ago). Mine is less than 1 year old. Hubby's is about 5 years. While both of us experience a loss of time when we don't wear the watch, it's pretty reliable otherwise. I've also been told that more active wrists birth more reliable time. Don't know.

Timezone can be a bit overwhelming. But, I do recommend going over there - and reporting back.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results