shape
carat
color
clarity

Rolex or Cartier?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Am going out watch shopping with my DH today. I am interested in either a ladies Cartier Roadster oir the 31mm Datejust Rolex with the Oyster bracelet. All S/S in either style.

Tried both on last week and was greatly surprised I like the Rolex better; I think b/c it was slightly lighter in weight (less bulky) vs. the Roadster.

Watch face will be a champagne or MOP (light) color.

Any votes for preference?

cheers--Sharon

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CARTIER.
16.gif

but get the one you like best.....
11.gif
i wanna Tank.
30.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Lorelei:

LURVE the Tank (Americanne) too! But i have a rather dressy Ebel, so I am thinking a sportier model will suit me better. The Cartier is very unique, but I must admit I had a difficult time reading the date! The Rolex date was very easy to see and the watch was "sleeker". But I am torn, too b/c I wasted a watch with a leather strap this time around, and the Roadster has a strap that is interchangeable.

My DH is rather set on a Roadster for himself.

cheers--Sharon

Ice Princess Cristy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/10/2008 11:59:20 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Lorelei:

LURVE the Tank (Americanne) too! But i have a rather dressy Ebel, so I am thinking a sportier model will suit me better. The Cartier is very unique, but I must admit I had a difficult time reading the date! The Rolex date was very easy to see and the watch was ''sleeker''. But I am torn, too b/c I wasted a watch with a leather strap this time around, and the Roadster has a strap that is interchangeable.

cheers--Sharon
Looks like you know which one you want then
2.gif

I like cartier over rolex in general, but without pics, etc it would be hard to judge these two specifically..... again, I think you know which one you are going for!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/10/2008 11:59:20 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Lorelei:

LURVE the Tank (Americanne) too! But i have a rather dressy Ebel, so I am thinking a sportier model will suit me better. The Cartier is very unique, but I must admit I had a difficult time reading the date! The Rolex date was very easy to see and the watch was ''sleeker''. But I am torn, too b/c I wasted a watch with a leather strap this time around, and the Roadster has a strap that is interchangeable.

cheers--Sharon
Me wants Tank Francaise!!
31.gif
But don''t mind me, get the one you luurve!
11.gif

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
I have the Cartier roadster and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. get compliments all the time.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I have a Ladies Datejust in S/S with the Oyster bracelet and I love it. I was never a Rolex fan but there are a couple of models I really like. The bracelet is so comfy but the only thing I''d caution you on is the selection of a dial face that you can read. To me, if you cant read the watch dial, what''s the point of having it on in the first place??? I got a white dial with the Arabic numerals at the even numbered times (2,4,6,8,10). It''s very easy to read. I got a larger JLC because I wanted an even easier to read dial...Have you considered a JLC Ladies Ultra Thin? They''re gorgeous and the dial is easy to read and the fonts they use for numbers are superb!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/10/2008 1:52:00 PM
Author: surfgirl
I have a Ladies Datejust in S/S with the Oyster bracelet and I love it. I was never a Rolex fan but there are a couple of models I really like. The bracelet is so comfy but the only thing I''d caution you on is the selection of a dial face that you can read. To me, if you cant read the watch dial, what''s the point of having it on in the first place??? I got a white dial with the Arabic numerals at the even numbered times (2,4,6,8,10). It''s very easy to read. I got a larger JLC because I wanted an even easier to read dial...Have you considered a JLC Ladies Ultra Thin? They''re gorgeous and the dial is easy to read and the fonts they use for numbers are superb!
HI:

I don''t think there is anyone who sells JLC locally...I prefer the Roman numerals over Arabic but agree the latter are easier to read...decisions decisions..the salesgal had a copper/pink face and it was very nice, but I would get a light face....

cheers--Sharon

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have both. I have a rolex in stainless with a pink gold face, and it does not have the bubble on it. I also have the all stainless roadster, which I like a lot too. It is a tough call as they are both great watches. I even love the Pasha C with the rose colored dial, I saw it on someone the other day and I loved it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sharon
i would take the Rolex. i like the older Cartier watches that were made in Paris.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/10/2008 12:33:30 PM
Author: Lorelei

31.gif
But don''t mind me, get the one you luurve!
11.gif
my Brit GF...
where is the Patek Philippe that you promise me?.
7.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/10/2008 4:56:15 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
Sharon
i would take the Rolex. i like the older Cartier watches that were made in Paris.
HI:

I did! Welcome back , DF.

Of course my heart will always be with A. Lange & Sohne, but there is no dealer around these parts. And they are mega bucks at any rate.

DH got the S/S Roadster, silver face. I got the 31mm, Datejust, Roman numeral, Oyster bracelet, Rhodium face. Very happy with my choice--I can see the dial and the date! I will never give up my old dressy diamond Ebel--it is a great compliment to the new one.

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Too late to edit last post, but wanted to add, that I felt rather strongly that the yellow gold did NOT enhance either the Rolex or Cartier models I looked at! I really liked the one color and so did my DH. Thought the two toned was rather "dated". Is that crazy--as I wore a two toned Concord for ten years--but then again that was mid-eighties. Tastes change!

cheers--Sharon

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your watches!!

I do not like the roadster in two tone but got the Cartier Ballon Bleu in two tone and love it! Funny how that can be...

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats, Sharon!! I''m glad you got the one you really wanted!
36.gif
36.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/10/2008 6:42:55 PM
Author: diamondfan
Congrats on your watches!!

I do not like the roadster in two tone but got the Cartier Ballon Bleu in two tone and love it! Funny how that can be...
HI:

Did you get this, Caroline, when you recently purcahsed your Trinity ring? These models are rather new--and very handsome. I must admit to not being drawn to the Jubillee bracelet--and so many Rolex watches I still see are tis style bracelet and two toned; just not my cuppa I guess!

I hope to see your watch when you take pictures of your new ring!

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/10/2008 7:11:29 PM
Author: Catmom
Congrats, Sharon!! I''m glad you got the one you really wanted!
36.gif
36.gif
HI:

Thanks Michelle. Hope you are well!

cheers--Sharon

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I would pick the Rolex.I really like the look of the Cartier watches but i wouldnt put good watch money into a quart watch.I would also suggest the JLC because its great quality.the old mecanical tank watches by cartier are collectable if you can find them.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got the large sized, an automatic. My rolex has the oyster bracelet, not the jubilee. I hated that one from when I was in high school. All the girls had the small two toned Presidential with the jubilee bracelet. I try to be a little different. I also got the 18K white gold pearlmaster with diamonds which is stunning, but heavy and not my daily watch.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/10/2008 8:25:10 PM
Author: jewelerman
I would pick the Rolex.I really like the look of the Cartier watches but i wouldnt put good watch money into a quart watch.I would also suggest the JLC because its great quality.the old mecanical tank watches by cartier are collectable if you can find them.
best high end watch for the money.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Lange in your avatar? Is it yours? I have a JLC Master Ultra Thin.

Watches have gotten bigger (sometimes absurdly big) and they just introduced a large MUT.

Thankfully they kept the original. I would not hesitate to choose a JLC over a Rolex or Cartier.

*I should add I have a Rolex too. Get the Rolex if you want something waterproof and easy to take care of.

Edit: I see you did get a Rolex. Good choice!
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/10/2008 5:05:09 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 5/10/2008 12:33:30 PM
Author: Lorelei

31.gif
But don't mind me, get the one you luurve!
11.gif
my Brit GF...
where is the Patek Philippe that you promise me?.
7.gif

I am still saving hard
30.gif
, but I seem to remember you promised ME a watch - so where is it???
16.gif
11.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/11/2008 6:23:14 AM
Author: Imdanny
Lange in your avatar? Is it yours? I have a JLC Master Ultra Thin.

Watches have gotten bigger (sometimes absurdly big) and they just introduced a large MUT.

Thankfully they kept the original. I would not hesitate to choose a JLC over a Rolex or Cartier.

*I should add I have a Rolex too. Get the Rolex if you want something waterproof and easy to take care of.

Edit: I see you did get a Rolex. Good choice!
36.gif
yes, bought the Lange 1 four yrs ago and my Rolex day/date in 1992.

wish JLC would make a MP in 18K RG with silver dail and a crystal back.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire, it is delightful to see you here!!!

Congrats on your new watch, Sharon! I tried on Rolexes on Saturday, and I like the 26mm one on me best. But I am still not sure if I want to spend that much on a watch! I thought the ones with rose gold were really pretty, but I am afraid they will be dated.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/10/2008 8:25:10 PM
Author: jewelerman
My thoughts exactly! I have a Cartier Tank Francaise (small) but will never pay that kinda money for a quartz again. As Diamondfan mentioned, the larger sized Cartiers are automatic but it sounds like you want a small one? I''m not a huge Rolex fan, but between the 2, I would buy the automatic one. It irks me that a lot of brands only make automatics for men and not women.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Sharon,
Can't wait for pics of the new watch!!! I love a nice Rolex
1.gif

mini threadjack
1.gif

Is that really DF I see posting?!?!? WELCOME BACK!!!! It's great to see you.
35.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/11/2008 9:38:48 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Dancing Fire, it is delightful to see you here!!!

Congrats on your new watch, Sharon! I tried on Rolexes on Saturday, and I like the 26mm one on me best. But I am still not sure if I want to spend that much on a watch! I thought the ones with rose gold were really pretty, but I am afraid they will be dated.
HI:

Thanks DS! My Ebel is 26mm if memory serves, and I altho I have no issues with this size at present, I really feel this bigger Rolex is a watch whose time has come..
2.gif
...hheheehe bad pun...this watch will be with me for a long while so I don''t feel upset about the cost (I''ve worn my Ebel everyday for almost 8 years and it looks fab and keeps great time).

My DH wear little jewellery so this is a great piece for him.

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results