shape
carat
color
clarity

Rock Doc did his thing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cowboystu

Shiny_Rock
Well actually only half of his thing so far. I still need to sit down and have a conversation with him about the results. But while I am waiting for him to call back, I wanted to get some opinions...First off, the sarin came back with a few intersting differences than that of GOG''s

Rock Doc GOG
Depth 61.0 61.0
Pav Depth 43.0 42.8
Pav Angle 40.9 40.8
Crown Angle 34.2 34.2
Table 54.8 55.9
Culet 1.2 0.1
Girdle Avg 1.2% 1.5% (thin v. medium)

I am mainly blown away by the table measurement. How can there be that big of a variation?

And now for the pics...it grades H, is it me, or does H seem yellow? Is it just the fire making it seem that way?

Thanks for the help!

Stu

Loose Dia 1.jpg

cowboystu

Shiny_Rock
Another shot (a few more to come)

Loose Dia 2.jpg

cowboystu

Shiny_Rock
Last one!

Loose Dia 5.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow that thing is a fireball!
1.gif
I don't think it looks yellow but rather it probably is the intense fire and it could also depend on the lighting in the pictures. What does RD say about the look of the stone and color? H should face up white regardless...so it shouldn't appear 'yellow' to the naked eye, esp when standing on it's own. That would be a K/L/M/N stone depending on your eye.

What did RD say about the table variance? The table variance doesn't really concern me, but what about the culet! A 0.1 to a 1.2! That is a huge difference. 1.2% is similar to a medium culet while 0.1 is NONE. That is a huge difference in my opinion, though it probably will not make much of a difference to your naked eye.

What are the differences in the HCA with the first table/culet #'s and the ones that RD gave you? I would also consult with GOG and see what their thoughts are on the variances. GOG and RD are the ones who have seen the stone in person and probably are a better judge than any of us, not having seen the stone and just looking at the basic set of #s.

However...that thing is beautiful!!
1.gif
Nice choice!
9.gif

cowboystu

Shiny_Rock
RD has been busy and hasn't gotten back to me yet...my impatience led me to ask others for the opinions. I do plan to ask all of those questions as soon as we talk.

The stone as written by GOG is a 1 (Ex/Ex/Ex/VG) and a 1.3 (Ex/Ex/VG/VG) via RD.

I didn't think an H should ever face up anything but white...I guess I am just used to looking at stones that lack the fire...This one does seem to have it

I'll let you know what RD says when we talk!

Keep on Keepin' on,
Stu

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
In my mind it definitely depends on the fire vs brilliance on how the stone looks and/or faces up. My stone is more brilliant than fiery. It faces up very white, stark sparkly white sometimes--esp in low light situations. It has fire at times, but most of the time it's just got all that brilliance.

In the Bscope image on the GOG site for your stone, did you see the brilliance bar as being less than the fire? I was looking at some stones last nite on GOG's site and they had a few where the fire bar was off the chart practically, but the brilliance was over near the low end of the High range. The thing had an animated Bscope image that just looked like the stone was literally ON FIRE. It was amazing--all the spectral hues.

I guess it's preference. I don't know if I had to choose again if I would choose brilliance over fire, fire over brilliance or a nice balance of both (those Bscope images that GOG has where the fire and brill bars are very similar). Very confusing stuff!
1.gif
Good thing I DON'T have to make a decision again! Hee Hee.

cowboystu

Shiny_Rock
Fire was pegged out at the top and Brilliance was hanging low-mid in the very high. That could explain all of that.

I just got off the phone w/ RD. He said that Jonathan's OGI machine is not as accuracte as the Sarin. And since the cert says 55% he would side w/ the cert. Same basic answer concerning the culet, but nothing to be concerned about. As far as the color, he assures me that it does not appear yellow. He blames some of it on the fire and the rest on digital camera color balance. He says he does not adjust anything from his camera on the computer. So if the color balance is a bit off, that explains it all.

I am still a little put off by the whole HCA thing, but as so many people have said here, its not the end-all or be all of calculations. I am going to go with what GOG and RD tell me, which is that I won't be disappointed in the stone.

Any words of advice on getting it gem-printed, or laser engraved? I didn't get Jonathan to laser it before he sent it (seems to be my mistake)...should I get it sent back to GOG to get engraved? Or should I just have RD register the gem print?

More pictures to come when I have it in the setting...mid-late week.

Keep on Keepin' on,
Stu

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The difference in HCA between 1 and 1.3 is very minimal and I bet you won't notice a difference. It's not as though it was a 1.0 and now it's a 2.5 or something. 1 and 1.3 are both well within the excellent range of the scoring. Also from the pix it looks amazing. I would trust GOG and RD as well as they have both seen the stone.

Good luck and congrats!!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Mara's right....the difference between a 1 and 1.3 on HCA should be negligible.....either way, it should be a gorgeous stone.

I wouldn't fret over the HCA thing....there may be a reason for it. Garry recently tweaked the HCA again, and Rhino may have taken his assessment of the stone prior to that latest adjustment. That might account for the difference.

Just a thought....anyway, it should be a show-stopping stone. Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results