shape
carat
color
clarity

Riot in Sweeden

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
The Washington Post reported that the violence occurred in Rinkeby, a largely immigrant enclave in northern Stockholm, with rioters clashing with police after news of an arrest near a train station drew a crowd:

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/02/21/riots-break-out-in-stockholm-in-wake-of-trumps-rally-remarks-on/21718595/

http://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-sweden-immigrant-suburb-riots-20170221-story.html

Now I agree with you that Trump needs to be more precise when he makes a statement. But he eventually did clarify it.

So there was an incident in Rinkeby where someone is arrested on drug charges, but rioters use it as an excuse that it is Trump's fault to burn cars and throw rocks, vandalize shops and assault people.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ruby, I asked you point blank multiple times and you couldn't even answer a very simple question about the incident. Maybe you should stop swallowing everything Trump shoves down your throat blindly and try chewing once in a while.

"Look at what's happening in Sweden last night"
3 days later
"Oh right, I meant on Monday..."
wtf?

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
telephone89|1487705210|4131785 said:
Ruby, I asked you point blank multiple times and you couldn't even answer a very simple question about the incident. Maybe you should stop swallowing everything Trump shoves down your throat blindly and try chewing once in a while.

"Look at what's happening in Sweden last night"
3 days later
"Oh right, I meant on Monday..."
wtf?

Trump referred to an increased incident in rapes that was discussed on Friday evening on the Fox network.

That is the Friday evening in question that has already been answered multiple times by me and others.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1487706541|4131793 said:
Trump referred to an increased incident in rapes that was discussed on Friday evening on the Fox network.

That is the Friday evening in question that has already been answered multiple times by me and others.
No, Trump referred to 'an incident on Friday' which was later clarified to be a news report ABOUT the increased violence.
However you speculated it was something else thwarted by authorities, possibly a news report, but could not actually answer what you believed he was talking about. It's all fine and dandy to say 'well duh, I meant that' afterwards, but at the time, before this clarification you could not articulate what YOU thought HE meant.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
telephone89|1487707091|4131800 said:

No, Trump referred to 'an incident on Friday' which was later clarified to be a news report ABOUT the increased violence.
However you speculated it was something else thwarted by authorities, possibly a news report, but could not actually answer what you believed he was talking about. It's all fine and dandy to say 'well duh, I meant that' afterwards, but at the time, before this clarification you could not articulate what YOU thought HE meant.

I was speculating on what the incident might have been until more information came out. And then the thread morphed from there.

Why do you keep belaboring a point made early in the discussion that has since been clarified to you by me and others.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

telephone is right. The Prime Minister of Sweden was totally befuddled by what Trump said. He knows what is going on in Sweden!

AGBF

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1487707813|4131807 said:

telephone is right. The Prime Minister of Sweden was totally befuddled by what Trump said. He knows what is going on in Sweden!

AGBF

He was still "befuddled" after Trump clarified it?

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
ruby59|1487708549|4131815 said:
AGBF|1487707813|4131807 said:

AGBF

He was still "befuddled" after Trump clarified it?

The PM of Sweden doesn't need Trump to clarify what's happening in his own country.

Stop drinking the Kool-aid.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Talk about derailing a thread.

Not one person has addressed this specific issue of why did a drug arrest prompt people to riot and then blame it on Trump?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1487710064|4131833 said:

Not one person has addressed this specific issue of why did a drug arrest prompt people to riot and then blame it on Trump?
I just re-read both articles you posted, neither blames trump for the incident. They both mention it happened after trump mentioned an incident in Sweden, but that's about it.

I read another article that said 'due to reasons the police would not release' a group of youths gathered. So no idea why the arrest spurred this.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock

I would say AOL spun this the headline to purport the view that riots broke out as a result of Trump's comments. If you read the article, they are unrelated. The article title is, not surprisingly, baiting.

example: "Riots break out in Stockholm in wake of Trump's rally remarks on Sweden and immigration"

In actuality at the end, the article states that trump supporters are now using the riot occurrence as a means to justify Trumps rally remarks saying that proves Trump was right and Sweden was covering up an incident...which is of course, not true either....

quote from article:

"Trump fans sounded notes of vindication at news of the Stockholm incident.

'Well, as usual Trump was right... Sweden is having terror problems they have been hiding,' one said."

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bunnycat|1487710677|4131838 said:
In actuality at the end, the article states that trump supporters are now using the riot occurrence as a means to justify Trumps rally remarks saying that proves Trump was right and Sweden was covering up an incident...which is of course, not true either....
All Swedes are psychic bunnycat, I can't believe you didn't know that. They obviously did cover it up. Preemptively.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
telephone89|1487710811|4131839 said:
bunnycat|1487710677|4131838 said:
All Swedes are psychic bunnycat, I can't believe you didn't know that. They obviously did cover it up. Preemptively.

Oh heavens! Thank you for setting me straight on that. :lol: And here I thought we had just proved time travel to parallel universes via the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle to account for the riots and remarks occurring so close together. :tongue:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've just read both articles (again) and I don't see any reference to the incident being blamed on Chump...?

Perhaps I am missing it -- please show the language from the articles attributing the event(s) to Cheeto von Tweeto.

Here are the pieces (minus the Tweets, which I can't figure out how to insert as screen shots in the first article):

Riots break out in Stockholm in wake of Trump's rally remarks on Sweden and immigration

Rioters in a Stockholm suburb burned cars and hurled rocks at police Monday, two days after President Donald Trump made a baffling reference to immigrant violence in Sweden during a Florida rally.

The Washington Post reported that the violence occurred in Rinkeby, a largely immigrant enclave in northern Stockholm, with rioters clashing with police after news of an arrest near a train station drew a crowd:

Over four hours, the crowd burned about half a dozen cars, vandalized several shopfronts and threw rocks at police. Police spokesman Lars Bystrom confirmed to Sweden's Dagens Nyheter newspaper that an officer had fired shots with intention to hit a rioter, but did not strike his target. A photographer for the newspaper was attacked by more than a dozen men and his camera was stolen, but no one was ultimately hurt or even arrested.

Trump stirred up confusion and mockery after remarking at a Saturday campaign event in Melbourne, Florida, "We've got to keep our country safe. You look at what's happening in Germany, you look at what's happening last night in Sweden. Sweden, who would believe this?"

Trump scored himself rebukes from Sweden's official Twitter handle and an expression of "surprise" from Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Lofven.

Trump later said his remarks about Sweden were referring to a Fox News Channel segment Tucker Carlson hosted about rising violence in the nation — one that spurred Swedish police officers to say their remarks on the program regarding crime had been taken out of context.

A day later, Trump was still on the subject, tweeting, "Give the public a break - The FAKE NEWS media is trying to say that large scale immigration in Sweden is working out just beautifully. NOT!"

Fox, Associated Press reports, said Tuesday that "Recent migration to Sweden hit its peak in 2015 with more than 160,000 asylum applications. It dropped to almost 30,000 in 2016."

The story also noted that a 60 Minutes crew came under attack in Rinkeby last April while filming a segment there.

Trump fans sounded notes of vindication at news of the Stockholm incident.

"Well, as usual Trump was right... Sweden is having terror problems they have been hiding," one said.

The New York Times pointed to official Swedish statistics showing "no significant increase in crimes from 2015 to 2016, even with the influx of migrants."

While rape and assault did increase last year, thefts and drug crimes were down. "Still, a Pew Research Center survey last year found that 46% of Swedes said refugees were more to blame for crime than other groups," the Times noted.

Riot near Swedish capital over drug arrest comes days after Trump comments

Swedish police Tuesday were investigating a riot that broke out overnight in a predominantly immigrant suburb in Stockholm after officers arrested a suspect on drug charges.

The riot comes two days after President Trump’s reference to a supposed frightening security episode in Sweden prompted a deluge of ridicule.

“You look at what’s happening last night in Sweden — Sweden!” he said at a rally on Saturday in Florida. “Who would believe this? Sweden!”

But Swedish authorities reported no terror-related incident or other episode involving large-scale violence.
The Monday clashes started when police arrested a suspect and people started throwing stones at them in Rinkeby, north of Stockholm. Unidentified people, including some wearing masks, also set cars on fire and looted shops.

One officer was slightly injured when a rock hit his arm and one person was arrested for throwing rocks, police spokesman Lars Bystrom said Tuesday. Some civilians who tried to stop the looters were also assaulted, he added.

Another officer fired his gun, not as a warning shot but because he was “in a situation that demanded he used his firearm,” Bystrom said, adding “no one was hit.”

He declined to give further details, saying the episode would be investigated.

Police were investigating three cases of violent rioting, assaulting a police officer, two assaults, vandalism and aggravated thefts, he said.

“This kind of situation doesn't happen that often but it is always regrettable when it happens,” Bystrom said.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bunnycat|1487710940|4131843 said:
Oh heavens! Thank you for setting me straight on that. :lol:
Or maybe Trump is the psychic one and predicted *this* incident when he spoke before? Hmm interesting...

Okay, sorry Ruby. I'll stop derailing.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
telephone89|1487711068|4131845 said:
Or maybe Trump is the psychic one and predicted *this* incident when he spoke before? Hmm interesting...

Thanks to the very lovely Dee Jay, I believe she answered your question as to the fact that yes Trump was mentioned in both articles.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
ruby59|1487704741|4131782 said:

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/02/21/riots-break-out-in-stockholm-in-wake-of-trumps-rally-remarks-on/21718595/

http://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-sweden-immigrant-suburb-riots-20170221-story.html

Now I agree with you that Trump needs to be more precise when he makes a statement. But he eventually did clarify it.

So there was an incident in Rinkeby where someone is arrested on drug charges, but rioters use it as an excuse that it is Trump's fault to burn cars and throw rocks, vandalize shops and assault people.

The rioters did not use trumps remarks as an excuse. No where in the article is the rioting blamed on trump. The mention of him in the article is unrelated to the riots...except for the writer of the article possibly attempting to link the two....The two events are unrelated....

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1487712430|4131856 said:

Thanks to the very lovely Dee Jay, I believe she answered your question as to the fact that yes Trump was mentioned in both articles.
Trump was mentioned =/= Trump being blamed

If you read her post, which I don't think you did she said:
I've just read both articles (again) and I don't see any reference to the incident being blamed on Chump...?

Perhaps I am missing it -- please show the language from the articles attributing the event(s) to Cheeto von Tweeto.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
telephone89|1487712867|4131861 said:

Why reference Trump at all in the article about police arresting a drug dealer and then people who gathered nearby started to riot.

Did they riot because the police arrested this drug dealer?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1487713188|4131863 said:
Why reference Trump at all in the article about police arresting a drug dealer and then people who gathered nearby started to riot.

Deflecting again are we?

Where does it say that it's being blamed on trump?

I say again, no idea why they rioted. I'd be interested to know as well, though I suspect it doesn't really matter.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
telephone89|1487712867|4131861 said:

Ruby- I will answer your question. The writer of the article mentioned trump in the article. The writer of the article is the only one who know why they put two unrelated things together so they would have to be asked. My guess is so that the story would get more clicks and shares. Even in the body of the article the writer doesn't LINK the two things, just mentions them along parallel tracks. The writer doesn't even try to link them (i guess because they figured everyone else would do that just fine?).

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
telephone89|1487713564|4131864 said:

Deflecting again are we?

I say again, no idea why they rioted. I'd be interested to know as well, though I suspect it doesn't really matter.

Go google it.

If you are going to sit there and say there is no connection between Trump and this riot, there is no use talking to you.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd call this one a draw.

The LATimes story using "Trump" in its headline about riots having nothing to do with Trump - except in timing - is comparable to Trump decrying "what's happening last night in Sweden" based on a story that had nothing to do "last night." Both were reaching. In both cases you had to "read beyond the headline" to get an accurate picture of what was happening - or what might have been happening.

The difference in the two scenarios is that in the LATimes example, the tools for further exploration are right there and once can determine quickly and easily that the the journalist was juxtaposing basically unrelated events. People listening to Trump's speech had no such tools available to them and might have taken his statement at face value or imagined assumed some incident that did not in fact occur.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1487714202|4131867 said:
telephone89|1487713564|4131864 said:

Deflecting again are we?

Go google it.

If you are going to sit there and say there is no connection between Trump and this riot, there is no use talking to you.
I love me some google - what exactly am I supposed to google?

If you were more specific it would really help me understand what you mean, just in general. A lot of your posts are vague and sweeping. I'm more than happy to discuss things, but when, instead of actually answering me you say 'go google it', it makes it difficult to have a conversation.

However, if you see no use in talking to me, I'm happy to take that as well.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1487714308|4131869 said:
I'd call this one a draw.

The LATimes story using "Trump" in its headline about riots having nothing to do with Trump - except in timing - is comparable to Trump decrying "what's happening last night in Sweden" based on a story that had nothing to do "last night." Both were reaching. In both cases you had to "read beyond the headline" to get an accurate picture of what was happening - or what might have been happening.

The difference in the two scenarios is that in the LATimes example, the tools for further exploration are right there and once can determine quickly and easily that the the journalist was juxtaposing basically unrelated events. People listening to Trump's speech had no such tools available to them and might have taken his statement at face value or imagined assumed some incident that did not in fact occur.

So nothing set these people off. They were just gathered around and decided what the "h8ll".

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
One business owner was assaulted while trying to keep rioters out of his store. A total of three people were injured in the riots but no arrests were made, according to police.

They were punched at and kicked at and had to seek medical attention,” said SVT News reporter Valentina Xhaferi.

The situation calmed down around midnight. Rinkeby is located in one of the poorest areas of the Swedish capital. “It sucks, it’s like living in a ghetto. I’m ashamed,” Rinkeby resident Alejandro told SVT.

The riots follow a heated debate surrounding immigration in Sweden sparked by Trump’s remarks Saturday at a rally in Melbourne, Fla.

I am sure this poor business owner and the three people who were attacked appreciate the cavalier attitude being displayed here.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there any info on the ethnicities and immigration status of the rioters? I would hate for this incident to get lumped into some conservative agenda about refugees without proper documentation.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

You seriously can't figure out why Trump was referenced in an article about violence in Sweden? I think if you really tried hard you could figure that one out by yourself.

As for whether or not they rioted over the police arresting this drug dealer: perhaps. Or maybe it was because the Vancouver Canucks lost the Stanley Cup to the Bruins? Or maybe because the SF Giants beat the KC Royals? Or maybe there was a block party gone awry like at James Madison U that time? Rioters be rioting!

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ok, honestly. I live in Sweden. Nothing happened, ok? This must be one of the most calm and safe places on earth to live, but that doesnt mean that it is perfect. Rinkeby is a troubled area. :wavey:

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I also wanted to add that the news headlines here re the riots are: Riots in Rinkeby causes headlines in the USA.
That maybe tells you something?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results