shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring shanks too thin?

JaymiLynn

Rough_Rock
Hi! I'm looking for some opinions. Do you think the shanks on my rings are too thin? I'm talking about the thinnest part that faces your palm. I'm worried that they are going to bend or break. What do you think? Thanks!

ring_16.jpg

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
The one on your wedding band definitely looks a bit thinner, but I'd take them both to your jeweler to maybe add a bit more metal. Or get their opinion...Good luck!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it platinum or gold? What is the width of the bands?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just going by the pic, the ering seems ok to me but the wedding band looks thin.

LJL

Brilliant_Rock
They both look fine to me...but Im the LAST person who should comment on thin rings... :bigsmile:

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
If you purchased it from a B&M, then unfortunately that is a normal occurrence. They will make it incredibly thin during sizing, unless you tell them you want it thicker. Then they charge you more for it. I would definitely go back to get them to fix it, IF you trust them. Unfortunately, I know quite a few people who have had their rings lost and then given a horrible substitute. If you are concerned about their work you could find a reputable jeweler in your area with a jeweler on site, that can do the repair without the ring ever leaving the store.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
They look a bit thin - did you just have them resized? If so, you may want to go and speak with them about adding some metal. I wouldn't worry too much though - it doesn't look to me like you're in any danger of the rings cracking at this point. The contrast between the thickness of the rest of the ring might be throwing you off.

audball

Ideal_Rock
They do look thin height wise...hard to tell from this angle but it seems to be wide enough for stability in that direction. I also agree that the wedding band seems thinner than the engagement ring.

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
Do you know how wide the thinnest part is in mm?

I have an antique ring that was very thin. The thinnest part was about 1mm. So I had my jeweler add more metal to make the shank a little heftier. I like 2mm. Feels more solid to me.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The wedding ring looks thin from the picture.

JaymiLynn

Rough_Rock
I just measured them and they are 1 mm at the thinnest. Does that change anything?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not just the thinness to consider, which is why I asked my two questions earlier.

If it is platinum, you are probably fine. PT is stronger and less brittle than gold.
You need to know the width. It might be 1 mm in height but if you have sufficient width, it might be fine because it adds strength there too.

JaymiLynn

Rough_Rock
The rings are white gold and they are 2 mm in width.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In that case, I would get them beefed up.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results