shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring setting too high?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a very beautiful ring! How high is too high would be answered only by personal preference. My pear solitaire is very high (almost 9mm from the finger) but I love that it pops gracefully & that as with your ring, you can see the diamond all the way down to the culet.

Who made your ring for you? Did you discuss height or was it a stock setting? Personally I think it’s lovely, but your lifestyle may determine otherwise.

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s absolutely gorgeous, however personally I’d feel it was too high. I’d be very concerned that it would catch on everything being quite so high above the finger.
Hopefully people with a greater understanding of what can be done to elegantly reduce the high will respond soon.

Ultimately only you can decide, it is a fabulous ring though, enjoy it.

uyalison

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Love your ring. It looks very beautiful on your hand.

I think It is not low. At the height it is right now it is quite elegant. But judging from the style of the head, I am not sure how much lower it can be altered. Would it make it that much of a visually difference. And I would be afraid to make alternation to something that is already so masterly crafted, making it less rather than more.

Of course if you are really unhappy about the height, then you should do something about it.

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
I like your setting in theory but I SO have to agree with you, yes the head is about 1 mm or 2 too high.
I'm sure they can remove the diamond, then the head, and replace and reset the stone with a head that not only sits a smidge lower, but has a slightly heavier and more solid/stable feeling base.

If nothing else, you risk knocking it, catching it in sweater threads, your hair, or scratching your baby or children or stabbing your little cat or puppy in the eye when they run up to greet you.
It's not just a preference, it's also a bit of a liability.
Your instincts are right on.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had many settings. Some low some super high. I love how big my stone looks when set high. But I baby my ring. And even then, it takes a lot of effort to not bang it. So only you know if you think it’s too high. That said, I don’t think it would hurt to lower it if you are having issues with how it is.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring.:love:

As others have said only you can determine if it's too high. I am a klutz so the lower the better for me.

Does this fit well into your lifestyle or will it be at risk for damage at this height?
Do your eyes prefer it lower or do you love it at this height?

Your preferences, your lifestyle and you are the only one who can make the best decision for you.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I think it's just personal preference but wow, it's pretty!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I keep coming back and looking because I can't make up my mind lol...it does look just a touch too high to me, but not sure it's worth going through the expense and time involved changing it! It is a beautiful ring and looks amazing on you. The bottom line is it's totally up to you...if you're feeling like it's too high, it can't hurt to talk to your jeweler and see what can be done.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The height of the setting is somewhat dependent on the depth of the stone, so it may not be possible to lower it a whole lot more. My OEC is set a bit higher than I’d like (a function of the intricate gallery) and I’ve gotten used to it and unconsciously alter my movements when wearing it.

If it really bugs you, I’d ask the designer how much lower it can be set and then make a decision....it really is a stunning ring!

Linny

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all so much for your responses, they have all been so useful! So I talked to my designer about lowering it and he said he could lower it a mm or so without problem. I think height wise that would really help. The only question I have is, if we set the stone lower (so that you can't see the point of the diamond anymore -- if you look carefully you can see a little triangle of air below the bottom of the stone and the point of the metal underneath it), will that make it so that less light reflects and thus it is less brilliant? In other words, does the stone always need to have some space under the cutlet (I think it is called) above the metal? I didn't ask the designer that question but wondered if you all had any thoughts on that? This community is so invaluable! We picked a really nice stone after learning more about the HCA and rejecting a bunch that looked good on GIA certs but performed poorly on HCA. Thank you so much! 21CCE8B4-C8ED-4D1B-B1CC-46268E0C8829.jpeg

mizzbutterfly

Rough_Rock
Realistically, would shortening it by 1 mm make much of a visual difference ? I get it, I’m a numbers girl ... but “a mm” may not be significant enough.
Also, my ring is higher than yours- It hasn’t been “officially” given to me via the proposal that my bf wants, but I’ve been wearing it around the house.
I thought practically about this similar to what others have suggested. I tried to wear a glove (as I will have to in the 7/8 months of cold that we get here), and it’s nearly impossible.
Would 1 or 2 mm make a visual difference but also a practical difference for you ?
All that said, you have a stunning ring :geek2: and I’m sure whatever you choose to do, it’ll look amazing.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO, it is down to personal preference.

I dislike high setting rings, and only have them for deep cut stones and pearls where there is not much of an alternative to speak of.

I would not choose the ring setting as seen in the original post, the high setting being one of a number of reasons.

As I have already said, each to their own, etc., etc...

DK :))

Txborn79

Shiny_Rock
I have a similar style setting but my stone is set lower and my stone is still a disco ball. I don’t think setting the stone lower will affect the brilliance at all.

Mine for reference

FFC2A54D-7430-4B41-A1AB-C9631B074585.jpeg

Thank you all so much for your responses, they have all been so useful! So I talked to my designer about lowering it and he said he could lower it a mm or so without problem. I think height wise that would really help. The only question I have is, if we set the stone lower (so that you can't see the point of the diamond anymore -- if you look carefully you can see a little triangle of air below the bottom of the stone and the point of the metal underneath it), will that make it so that less light reflects and thus it is less brilliant? In other words, does the stone always need to have some space under the cutlet (I think it is called) above the metal? I didn't ask the designer that question but wondered if you all had any thoughts on that? This community is so invaluable! We picked a really nice stone after learning more about the HCA and rejecting a bunch that looked good on GIA certs but performed poorly on HCA. Thank you so much! 21CCE8B4-C8ED-4D1B-B1CC-46268E0C8829.jpeg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful but I think it's too high. One really bad whack and the whole head could shear off! I would try to lower it, or have it be cathedral style so there is more support around the head.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My personal preference would be a little lower. Victor Canera makes his at the perfect height, in my opinion. Here's one with his flush fit stems.

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-emilya-with-flush-fitting-stems

As far as your second question goes, light return is from the top of the diamond. You could totally enclose the sides of a well cut diamond and it wouldn't matter, because light is reflected out of the top of the stone.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I am such a klutz that the ring would be too high for me.

However, if you are not a klutz and love how it pops, then go ahead! :lol-2:

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!

Beautiful ring! :) Congratulations!

So I agree it's too high and that it should be lowered a bit. However! I think the diamond's placement in the head of the ring is actually really nice with that little air line and being able to see the culet. It would be a shame to remove it, perhaps.

Is there any ability to lower it by actually getting rid of some of the bottom of the prongs? To explain: in @Txborn79's ring that she kindly posted, you can see the diamond is set lower because the prongs come out of the shank with the v of the airline at the level of the shank. Yours has the v of the airline and then tonnes of metal from the prongs finishing a metal v, and then shank.

Sorry - if I were in a position to do some pictures that would be easier to explain but I hope that makes sense.

Anyway, if that bit of shank could be removed, I think it would widen the attachment of the head to make it more secure to the shank, still allow you to wear another ring flush to it, and make it seem less like a peg head that will be damaged by a bad hit.

Just my thoughts in addition to other very good thoughts here.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Linny

Shiny_Rock
I have a similar style setting but my stone is set lower and my stone is still a disco ball. I don’t think setting the stone lower will affect the brilliance at all.

Mine for reference

FFC2A54D-7430-4B41-A1AB-C9631B074585.jpeg

Wow this is a perfect illustration of a similar look but lower, thank you! Your ring is GORGEOUS btw! Question: if you use a magnifier can you see the point of the diamond? Is it just barely sitting above the metal? It needs to sit above the metal so that it doesn't risk hitting the metal and chipping, right? With that kind of setting, do you have any issues keeping it clean, i.e. does dirt and gunk get stuck down in the little V between the tip of the diamond and the metal? Or do you just brush it with a toothbrush or something? Sorry for all the questions but thank you so much for helping me!

Linny

Shiny_Rock
My personal preference would be a little lower. Victor Canera makes his at the perfect height, in my opinion. Here's one with his flush fit stems.

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-emilya-with-flush-fitting-stems

As far as your second question goes, light return is from the top of the diamond. You could totally enclose the sides of a well cut diamond and it wouldn't matter, because light is reflected out of the top of the stone.

Yes, that height looks perfect, I agree. Do you know where I could search this forum to see actual images of that ring or something similar? I like how the diamond appears quite low set but it's hard to tell how low from the side angle in the CAD. Thank you so much!

Linny

Shiny_Rock
I am such a klutz that the ring would be too high for me.

However, if you are not a klutz and love how it pops, then go ahead! :lol-2:

LOL I am also a klutz sometimes and I have 3 children under 6 so definitely don't want to poke out an eye or something as someone else mentioned! I lead an active lifestyle so a little lower is my preference!

Linny

Shiny_Rock
Hi!

Beautiful ring! :) Congratulations!

So I agree it's too high and that it should be lowered a bit. However! I think the diamond's placement in the head of the ring is actually really nice with that little air line and being able to see the culet. It would be a shame to remove it, perhaps.

Is there any ability to lower it by actually getting rid of some of the bottom of the prongs? To explain: in @Txborn79's ring that she kindly posted, you can see the diamond is set lower because the prongs come out of the shank with the v of the airline at the level of the shank. Yours has the v of the airline and then tonnes of metal from the prongs finishing a metal v, and then shank.

Sorry - if I were in a position to do some pictures that would be easier to explain but I hope that makes sense.

Anyway, if that bit of shank could be removed, I think it would widen the attachment of the head to make it more secure to the shank, still allow you to wear another ring flush to it, and make it seem less like a peg head that will be damaged by a bad hit.

Just my thoughts in addition to other very good thoughts here.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

This is a great idea and I totally get what you are saying!

Linny

Shiny_Rock
Realistically, would shortening it by 1 mm make much of a visual difference ? I get it, I’m a numbers girl ... but “a mm” may not be significant enough.
Also, my ring is higher than yours- It hasn’t been “officially” given to me via the proposal that my bf wants, but I’ve been wearing it around the house.
I thought practically about this similar to what others have suggested. I tried to wear a glove (as I will have to in the 7/8 months of cold that we get here), and it’s nearly impossible.
Would 1 or 2 mm make a visual difference but also a practical difference for you ?
All that said, you have a stunning ring :geek2: and I’m sure whatever you choose to do, it’ll look amazing.

It's snowing here today (in UT) so I get the winter and gloves issue. I'm so done with this white stuff right now! Thanks for your suggestions, I think I'm getting somewhere!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That may be the only pics with the flush fitting stems. Here are a couple with the regular base. I actually prefer the regular base because it does allow the stems to be spread out a little more than they are when flush fit and it probably allows the stone to be set lower. I just wouldn't put diamonds on the doughnut because it would scratch the wedding band.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-to-me-vc-emilya.246328/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-aca-and-emilya-upgrade.244817/

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Linny!
First of all your ring is gorgeous! Congrats on such a beautiful piece of jewelry.:love:
I saw the side view pic of your ring and it is remarkably similar to the ruby ring in my avatar.
I had it made for me a few years ago and when it first came I thought right away it was too high. I pondered it for a few weeks and then brought it back to the jeweler who had it made for me and he said no problem at all and sent it back to the bench jeweler to lower it for me.
I was able to find side view pix of the setting before and after. You can see he was able to lower the "V" into the band and in turn lower the whole setting.
From the top down the ring looks the same but from the side it definitely sat lower and made me much happier.
Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 7.32.32 PM.jpg
Hope this helps. :wavey:

Linny

Shiny_Rock
Yes yes this is exactly what I want! Thank you this is perfect to show my jeweler! I can’t thank you enough!

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning! Glad my picture helped. As as soon as I saw yours it was uncanny to me how similar the issue was to mine.
Just wanted to let you know that from the top down it looks exactly the same as before it was lowered.. it's just from the side view it looks different.
Also.. if they have to remake the setting.. not just adjust it.. do look into Txborn79's setting above. If I had it to do all over again I would have really liked "shoulders" on the setting like they have.
I was very lucky as my jeweler did the adjustment without any additional charge and was super nice about it. I hope your jeweler will do the same and you will be 100% happy.:love:
Good luck!:wavey:

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the ring, very beautiful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results