shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring re-sizing delimma

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
My ring size constantly changes due to the temperature and other variables I'm unsure of. When I first got engaged it fit perfectly, then became snug. But then, it started fitting again and was even a bit loose (without weight loss, go figure). And now, my finger turns red when it's on, it's so tight. It goes back and forth between a 5.75 and 6.5 (or even 7 maybe).

I've been thoughtful as to not re-size it until after I have kids (hopefully within the next few years) since I don't want to constantly re-size and compromise the integrity of my ring. I'm super sentimental and never want the shank to get messed up or too thin, as I never want to reset or upgrade. I am open to multiple rings though. I am confused because my ring size continues to fluctuate.

I got a larger sized 7 stone ring to wear and resize as it's not as sentimental, but recently that got snug too (with everything going on, I forgot about the free 1 year resizing).

Any suggestions to what I should do? Do you think I should just buy multiple engagement rings and bands in multiple sizes given my finger size fluctuations?

Also, as my ER is around $50K, is it too risky to mail it back to where DH got it from for resizing? Or should I find a local jeweler?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Watch the sodium in your diet.

We are designed to conserve sodium; we evolved in a sodium-poor environment. A modern high-sodium diet overwhelms our kidneys' ability to excrete sodium. It's still unresolved how significant this is vis-a-vis blood pressure and heart disease -- but it will undoubtedly cause subtle swelling like you are describing.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mum resized her rings a few times over the years
i don't think its bad to get them done occasionally
When they are too loose you could add a spacer band or some other ring to create a stack- that seems to make rings snug

edelweissmaedl

Shiny_Rock
The multiple bands idea doesn’t sound like a bad one given the fluctuation.

as I near 40 I’ve noticed my finger size yo-yoing more than a decade ago (too loose, just right, a tad snug). If the setting is intricate you may be better sending it back to the jeweler for resizing. You can insure a ring up to $50,000 via registered mail.

I also think a sizing bar or beads like Kaycee2018 mentioned is something to consider. It might help if you size it up to prevent too much spinning when your fingers are less swollen.

stacking more bands with your e-ring will also snug things up if you size up and then havie days the rings feel too big.

Sibsgirl

Shiny_Rock
As a nutritionist, I agree with LilAlex on sodium. Even more critical than sodium intake is water intake. The body can flush a lot of sodium if you're drinking a large volume consistently. A good rule of thumb is body weight in pounds multiplied by 1.5 drunk in ounces daily (ex: 100-lb person would drink 150 ounces per day). Deficiency in other minerals such as potassium or magnesium can also be involved in periodic water retention, as can a number of medical conditions.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In winter, my ring size is 3.5-3.75. In summer, it's 4.5. I had the 3-stone e-ring in my avatar sized to a 5 with sizing bumps, to accommodate the fluctuations and also so that I can stack 2 bands with it, if desired. I find this gives me the best of all worlds in terms of fit and stacking options. :) Hope this helps!

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
@Sibsgirl That seems like possibly dangerous advice. My doctor advised the general rule of no more than half your body weight in ounces, to avoid the possibility of water intoxication. Of course, ymmv, but 3x that seems like a LOT?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a nutritionist, I agree with LilAlex on sodium. Even more critical than sodium intake is water intake. The body can flush a lot of sodium if you're drinking a large volume consistently. A good rule of thumb is body weight in pounds multiplied by 1.5 drunk in ounces daily (ex: 100-lb person would drink 150 ounces per day). Deficiency in other minerals such as potassium or magnesium can also be involved in periodic water retention, as can a number of medical conditions.

Ooh. Water intake plays no role in elimination of dietary sodium -- very separate hormonal pathways. (Nor does it "flush the kidneys" - another common misconception.) And as you imply, water intake should not make you swell. Sodium deficit -- which almost no one in the developed world has -- can impair your ability to get rid of water, but not vice-versa.

There is no water-intake or fluid-intake rule of thumb unless you are a kidney stone former and need to make a very dilute urine. Drink water if you are thirsty. For the readership of the this forum (mostly not young, from what I have seen and heard), forced water intake can be very dangerous. Thirst tells you when you need water. @Sibsgirl, you are recommending >> a gallon a day of water (!) and that's not right. If you are older or take any of a number of commonly-prescribed medications, excess water retention can be a huge problem. (Note that actual water retention is very different from the colloquial "water retention," which is sodium.)

Sibsgirl

Shiny_Rock
@Sibsgirl That seems like possibly dangerous advice. My doctor advised the general rule of no more than half your body weight in ounces, to avoid the possibility of water intoxication. Of course, ymmv, but 3x that seems like a LOT?

It's a ton. I would recommend it if a relatively-healthy someone was trying to reduce excess retention but not in relation to illnesses, etc. A "normal" daily intake is around 2/3 of body weight. I was very unclear with that response, so my thanks to you and Alex for your comments.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Do you have a metric conversion for that ?
Its about to be summer here and i get cranky when im thirsty

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the great advice! I think I'll probably get another ring (or two) in different sizes. Eventually I may resize my ring and just stack to get a tighter fit. I should also drink more water, I do think it's the heat (since it's cold out) that may be causing the swelling too. When I do decide to resize, do you think it's safe to send it in the mail or better to resize locally?

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the great advice! I think I'll probably get another ring (or two) in different sizes. Eventually I may resize my ring and just stack to get a tighter fit. I should also drink more water, I do think it's the heat (since it's cold out) that may be causing the swelling too. When I do decide to resize, do you think it's safe to send it in the mail or better to resize locally?

If it's a simple enough setting I think resizing locally is best. Posting things will give me a heart attack right now. And that way you can see if it fits etc.

Sibsgirl

Shiny_Rock
Do you have a metric conversion for that ?
Its about to be summer here and i get cranky when im thirsty

Sure. For everyday life, you'd take your weight in kilograms times about .04 (a 45 kg person would drink right around 1.8 liters). If you wanted to actively help with swelling, you'd double it temporarily so long as you're healthy. These are general recommendations. You should try it out and see how you feel personally. People who are physically active will require more, and we all have different lifestyles, so it's just a guide.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results