shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring broke in two!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
The attached picture shows my friend's original engagement ring (the one in yellow gold). It's not a very good picture and doesn't show the break, but the ring is 18k with a plat semi bezel in sort of a cathedral-like setting. It's hard to describe. She had a mystic topaz set in it, and when they set it, they told her they would have to cut the bezel to put the stone in it.

Well, she just now noticed that the ring has cracked in two at the bottom of the shank. Here's her description:

"I was looking at the bottom of the ring, and noticed a straight perpendicular "scratch" right in the middle. So I looked on the inside of the ring and saw the same thing. Gave it to Ryan, and he could literally pull the ring apart!"

She can't get to a jeweler's now and the guy who made it for her is located in DC, while she's up in NY. Any thoughts on what happened?

109_0964.JPG

MaybeDayze

Shiny_Rock
Bad solder? (sp?)
No solder?

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I suppose it could be bad or no solder, but the ring was only cut up at the bezel, not at the shank, as far as we know. Eeks!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow that''s scary!!!!!!! First laney, now this yikes!!!!!!
6.gif

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Actually, I did have this happen to another setting of mine. You could literally pull apart the bottom. It was from sizing. I was told it was realtively easy to correct. I switched setting so I never followed up on having it corrected. I did wear the ring for about 2 weeks w/o a problem. My concern is that it may cause some strange force on the stone - but it was fine..

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
One more question- her ring is over 4 years old. Is it possible that a bad sizing job from that long ago could be responsible for the break?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My sister had a ring which she got sized and you could see a line all around the shank. I said to her it was not how it should be but as the ring was sapphire and cubic zirconia she was not too worried about it. She wore the ring for about a year and then one day, it just opened at the line. She took it back to the jeweller and they resoldered it and this time you could not see anything. She wore the ring for years after that and it was okay. The jeweller did not charge her as it was the same jeweller she bought the ring from and that had resized it. Not a big issue and will easily be repaired.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2005 7:03:24 AM
Author: Logan Sapphire
One more question- her ring is over 4 years old. Is it possible that a bad sizing job from that long ago could be responsible for the break?
Yes
but this is just my non-expert opinion that after 4 years there are a lot of things that could have happened to it I think it could be debated if the job was bad to start with.
Good or bad job its a weak point and stuff happens.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results