shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring appraisal- is it stupid to get a CZ for one week?

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
My ring will be gone for one week while it's being appraised and I want something on my finger that looks like an engagement ring. Is it justified in spending $20 or am I being silly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
If it fits in your budget and it makes you feel better, then it's not silly. What's worth it to you, may not be to someone else, so it's really just about how you feel (and if you have the money to spend on a CZ).

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
momhappy said:
If it fits in your budget and it makes you feel better, then it's not silly. What's worth it to you, may not be to someone else, so it's really just about how you feel (and if you have the money to spend on a CZ).

I think I'll do it! I could also use it for travel (I may be going on a volunteer trip to the carribean and doing manual labor in the next few months) and a silver plated one from a department store isn't too much money and isn't too heartbreaking to lose.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marquise_Madness|1468501175|4055360 said:
My ring will be gone for one week while it's being appraised and I want something on my finger that looks like an engagement ring. Is it justified in spending $20 or am I being silly?

Ok, I'm going to be honest and say "silly" but really, it's whatever makes you feel good. $20 is a small price to pay if it makes you
feel good/better. My thoughts are, it wont be a very good fake and while a week might seem long, it will be over before you
know it. Have you called around to see if anyone can do it in a shorter period of time say 2 to 3 days? Dont forget to ask for an
evaluation for insurance purposes and not one blown way out of proportion so that you end up paying a fortune for insurance.
Basically it should be around what you paid + some percentage (15-20%) to get you through the next 5 years or so.

If you dont yet own one, I would take the $20 and put it towards an ultrasonic cleaner or a steam cleaner. You could also use the
money to purchase a few ring holders for the kitchen/bathroom so you have a specific place to put your rings when you take them
off. Just trying to think of better ways to spend the $20 that are ring related. On the other hand, if you do something a lot where
you think you may need a good fake (like wanting to wear a ring while working out) it may be worth investing in a decent fake.

P

PierreBear

I think that is a small price to pay to feel confident or placate any unnecessary thoughts that can be avoided. May I ask where is the best place to get a CZ as I might experiment with different sizes? My issues is a small ring size though so I wasn't sure if things need to be "custom done." Good luck with the travels!

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
PierreBear said:
I think that is a small price to pay to feel confident or placate any unnecessary thoughts that can be avoided. May I ask where is the best place to get a CZ as I might experiment with different sizes? My issues is a small ring size though so I wasn't sure if things need to be "custom done." Good luck with the travels!

I'm honestly doing Target because my fiancé works for corporate so we get a discount since I'm a domestic partner. I am really new with jewelry honestly.

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
tyty333 said:
Marquise_Madness|1468501175|4055360 said:

Ok, I'm going to be honest and say "silly" but really, it's whatever makes you feel good. $20 is a small price to pay if it makes you
feel good/better. My thoughts are, it wont be a very good fake and while a week might seem long, it will be over before you
know it. Have you called around to see if anyone can do it in a shorter period of time say 2 to 3 days? Dont forget to ask for an
evaluation for insurance purposes and not one blown way out of proportion so that you end up paying a fortune for insurance.
Basically it should be around what you paid + some percentage (15-20%) to get you through the next 5 years or so.

If you dont yet own one, I would take the $20 and put it towards an ultrasonic cleaner or a steam cleaner. You could also use the
money to purchase a few ring holders for the kitchen/bathroom so you have a specific place to put your rings when you take them
off. Just trying to think of better ways to spend the $20 that are ring related. On the other hand, if you do something a lot where
you think you may need a good fake (like wanting to wear a ring while working out) it may be worth investing in a decent fake.

That is a good point. I do have a few rings that are not bridal looking that I could wear and I could save money.

The shop we went to uses Cannon Gem Appraisals. Are people familiar with them?

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say do it from a feel perspective. If I'm used to wearing a ring and then stop it feels odd and sometimes I have a moment of panic thinking I lost it before I remember it is getting serviced.

I was just at target yesterday to look for mixed metal stackers to try out the look before spending $$$ on the real deal. They were doing inventory so not much selection. Good luck and get something fun!

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
kgizo said:
I say do it from a feel perspective. If I'm used to wearing a ring and then stop it feels odd and sometimes I have a moment of panic thinking I lost it before I remember it is getting serviced.

I was just at target yesterday to look for mixed metal stackers to try out the look before spending $$$ on the real deal. They were doing inventory so not much selection. Good luck and get something fun!

I think I will. Just something for going to work and if I do go to St. Lucia, for when I'm not volunteering.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the "is it stupid" part of your question. The honest PSers here who've bought more than a few rings will admit to having "stupid" in their jewelry boxes alongside "What was I thinking?" And close to "Dammit!"

And for lots more than a $20 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
azstonie said:
I love the "is it stupid" part of your question. The honest PSers here who've bought more than a few rings will admit to having "stupid" in their jewelry boxes alongside "What was I thinking?" And close to "Dammit!"

And for lots more than a $20 :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm 22! I spent $10.99 on truffle oil for my fiancé (which he seems to use as cooking oil and not drizzling oil, ew!) and that seemed like a lot. But my credit card expenses this month are maybe $250?

I asked my mom last night and she seemed to be on my side "as long as it's not too expensive." Because some CZ sets can go for $200+.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's silly, only in the fact that you care more about having a ring than actually being engaged/marrying the love of your life. I think some people get caught up in that and forget what an engagement actually is.
HOWEVER it's only $20, and if it's really not going to break the bank, who am I to say otherwise?!

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
telephone89 said:
I think it's silly, only in the fact that you care more about having a ring than actually being engaged/marrying the love of your life. I think some people get caught up in that and forget what an engagement actually is.
HOWEVER it's only $20, and if it's really not going to break the bank, who am I to say otherwise?!

It's more that I'm used to wearing a ring now and having the feeling of it on me! I am so excited to get married in general. I just want to not panic and think I lost my ring- which I already do in the shower.

susief

Shiny_Rock
I personally wouldn't because in my mind it kind of devalues the real thing, if any old ring you buy yourself for 20 dollars will do. I would be patient and wait out the week. But what do I know :wink2:

If you do buy it, make sure it's a smaller stone than your e-ring so you don't get unintended shrinkage!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If concerned about being a victim of crime you'll be just as vulnerable wearing a CZ as you'll be wearing a real diamond.

I wouldn't feel any better about being killed for my CZ than for my diamond.

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
susief|1468534454|4055518 said:
I personally wouldn't because in my mind it kind of devalues the real thing, if any old ring you buy yourself for 20 dollars will do. I would be patient and wait out the week. But what do I know :wink2:

If you do buy it, make sure it's a smaller stone than your e-ring so you don't get unintended shrinkage!

I have a pretty unique/sentimental marquise ring, so I'd probably not be too concerned about feeling like it has shrunk!

kenny|1468534675|4055520 said:
If concerned about being a victim of crime you'll be just as vulnerable wearing a CZ as you'll be wearing a real diamond.

It's more that I don't want it to get lost/damaged while traveling. Not about crime.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it's because you like the look and feel of having a ring on that finger, then I say, no, it's not stupid at all. If your ring happens to be white gold, as mine is, you'll probably have it in for rhodium plating from time to time, and you can use the alternate then, if you like.

I'm just coming off a trip to see family, where I took a cz, myself. I love my in-laws, but they rarely lock their doors. They live in a very low crime area, but I'm enough of a worry wart that in years past, I always found myself wearing my rings to the beach, even though I'd rather not. So, this time, my rings had a vacation at the bank, and I didn't feel the need to protect them ;-).

In my case, the alternate is similar to my ering. But, at some point I may go with another one, different in style or shape, for the fun of it. Just an idea for you.

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
KaeKae said:
If it's because you like the look and feel of having a ring on that finger, then I say, no, it's not stupid at all. If your ring happens to be white gold, as mine is, you'll probably have it in for rhodium plating from time to time, and you can use the alternate then, if you like.

I'm just coming off a trip to see family, where I took a cz, myself. I love my in-laws, but they rarely lock their doors. They live in a very low crime area, but I'm enough of a worry wart that in years past, I always found myself wearing my rings to the beach, even though I'd rather not. So, this time, my rings had a vacation at the bank, and I didn't feel the need to protect them ;-).

In my case, the alternate is similar to my ering. But, at some point I may go with another one, different in style or shape, for the fun of it. Just an idea for you.

6834357a6bfcc30f532d4114cdf853bb.jpg

I won't find much similar. I will probably do a solitaire.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marquise_Madness said:
susief|1468534454|4055518 said:

I have a pretty unique/sentimental marquise ring, so I'd probably not be too concerned about feeling like it has shrunk!

kenny|1468534675|4055520 said:

It's more that I don't want it to get lost/damaged while traveling. Not about crime.

I think what Kenny is saying is that even though you don't care about damaging or losing the fake, a thief doesn't know the difference and may target you all the same. Does that make sense? I also would not wear a CZ doing manual labor no matter how inexpensive it was. For a trip where I wanted to be inconspicuous and where I would be doing manual labor I'd want a simple plain band. Maybe that's an alternative since the band will give you the feeling of a ring on that you are wanting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results