shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring: Alexandrite, Corundum, or Garnet?

OmniStone3

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I bought a ring that changes color in different light sources. It is not as large as it looks, as it is approximately 15mm x 8mm x 3 or 4mm, assuming measuring this with a ruler is in any way accurate.

It is from Russia, for the stamps are indicative of this. One includes initials or a word in Cyrillic text. The other is .583 (14k?) and a hammer and sickle as well as a Soviet star. This leads me to believe it was made after 1922. The markings are on the exterior, rather than the interior of the ring.

In incandescent lighting, it emits a reddish purple with the occasional red scintillation. In sunlight, a green-blue or teal is released. In some angles, a verdant green is reflected. Sometimes, it is mixture of the two. It has a red fluorescence in the dark with ultraviolet light. The camera on my iPad is unable to capture any color aside from purple; the other colors won't even be visible on the screen prior to a shot.

What gemstone could this be?

Thank you in advance.

image_928.jpg image_929.jpg image_930.jpg

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to Pricescope, OmiStone,
Most people here with far more experience than I will tell you that it's not possible to identify a stone from a photo. As far alexandrite goes, you may want to read this:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/have-you-really-got-an-alexandrite-read-this-first.179784/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/have-you-really-got-an-alexandrite-read-this-first.179784/[/URL]
Your stone doesn't look like a garnet to me, but I don't know what it could be. Sorry I can't be any more helpful than that.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given the size and clarity, I suspect it's synthetic. It's a pretty ring!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OmniStone3|1467995951|4053156 said:
It is not as large as it looks, as it is approximately 15mm x 8mm x 3 or 4mm, assuming measuring this with a ruler is in any way accurate.

That is a huge stone and based on your description, my guess is synthetic.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results