shape
carat
color
clarity

Right proportions? Looking to exchange

joshhca

Rough_Rock
I purchased a lab-grown before I found pricescope. Purchased mid-June and received today. I have 30 days from today to return/exchange.

I felt that I did tons of research (however, I didn’t consider lab until much later). In the last few weeks, I’ve also learned that the proportions aren’t as ideal as I’d hoped (58% table, 13.5% / 33.2* crown, 42% / 40.3* pavilion).

I want to initiate an exchange for something that’s similar to what I have but with better light performance. What I got was “IGI triple excellent” but I see that’s much more generous than GIA and AGS.

I’d like to stay in the 8-12k price range, 1.75-2 carat size and in the colorless range

Is there anything wrong with this diamond, besides it being “lab grown?” If so, would anyone be so kind to help me find one with better proportions?
https://www.brilliantearth.com/lab-diamonds-search/view_detail/7911096/

Thank you in advance.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I purchased a lab-grown before I found pricescope. Purchased mid-June and received today. I have 30 days from today to return/exchange.

I felt that I did tons of research (however, I didn’t consider lab until much later). In the last few weeks, I’ve also learned that the proportions aren’t as ideal as I’d hoped (58% table, 13.5% / 33.2* crown, 42% / 40.3* pavilion).

I want to initiate an exchange for something that’s similar to what I have but with better light performance. What I got was “IGI triple excellent” but I see that’s much more generous than GIA and AGS.

I’d like to stay in the 8-12k price range, 1.75-2 carat size and in the colorless range

Is there anything wrong with this diamond, besides it being “lab grown?” If so, would anyone be so kind to help me find one with better proportions?
https://www.brilliantearth.com/lab-diamonds-search/view_detail/7911096/

Thank you in advance.

I can't speak to the proportions. But I would say that this is a LOT of money to invest in something that may not have any value at all on the secondary market. Although natural diamonds still result in a financial hit against retail price if you sell them or trade them in for an upgrade unless you purchase from a vendor with an excellent buy back or upgrade policy, at least you are assured of it retaining some value. I'm not convinced man made diamonds will. Just something to think about, as your 8 - 12 K might buy you something lovely from one of the online vendors who do offer the great buy back/upgrade policies.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should look for stones within these parameters:

Table 54-58%
Depth 60-62.4%
Pavilion angle 40.6-40.9 degrees
Crown angle 34-35 degrees (up to 35.5 or maybe even 36 with a shallow pavilion, i.e. 40.6)

As crown angle increases, pavilion angle should decrease, and vice versa.

You should run any diamonds you are considering through the HCA tool (under the Tools tab) to confirm if they score under 2, which is what you are looking for to ensure the crown and pavilion angles are working together (amongst other things).

ForSeas

Rough_Rock
My extremely non-expertise opinion...

I wouldn't worry about the grading company as much. I ended up going with IGI and their clarity grade was extremely harsh/stringent. My jeweler has seen similarly graded IGIs that are better than GIA, but I think it all comes down to the individual who is grading the diamond. Cut on the other hand, I would listen to OoohShiny. Use this tool referenced before: https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

Regarding cost, you do you. Each person has a different budget and values different things. My girlfriend will love my "expensive" MMD, and I don't care about resale price (though he said he will upgrade - I again am not concerned). Just make sure you're happy with whatever decision you make!

Did you originally buy from BE? If not, I would recommend going to see an actual jeweler to see if they can get some rounds in that you can see before buying.

Matthewgolf34

Rough_Rock
Hi Josh—I had a very similar experience to you and OooohShiny helped me realize a diamond with better proportions will likely perform better. I decided to get a new diamond with better proportions. Although I’m sure my original stone would have been a great choice for my SO, I thought I would always be left wondering.

Use OS’s numbers above to add in table and depth to your search on BE and JamesAllen. I found this stone below for you which seems like a reasonable fit.

https://www.brilliantearth.com/lab-diamonds-search/view_detail/7689656/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results