shape
carat
color
clarity

Riedel Crystal Lead Concerns??

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
SO after swearing I wasn''t going to register for "fancy" china and crystal, I totally did. Don''t know what got into me, I guess I can always take it off if I change my mind, but I registered for some crystal Riedel wine glasses. I was aware of the lead content issue in fine crystal, but after some further research, I am concerned about whether I want to keep them on the registry.

We didn''t register for a decanter, so the wine wouldn''t be stored in lead crystal, which seems to be a bigger concern for lead leaching into the wine. Has anyone else had concerns about this with Riedel crystal or am I crazy?
33.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
its not a concern for wine glasses.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We use leaded crystal glasses and decanter. (Nice quality, high lead content)

No problems and no concerns. Your crystal will come with care instructions that let you know how to prepare them for use. Basically, you just let them sit with vinegar in them (I think it is a vinigar/water mix -- directions will specify) for the number of hours required and then wash & use.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I did a lot of reading on this

Wine is acidic and can leach lead from the glasses, but from what I understand, the wine has to interact with the crystal for a period of time before the concentration of the lead becomes concerning. The take home point of the article was that the glasses are OK, but it is best to avoid decanting in leaded glass.

However, there are arguments in the medical community that the levels we tolerate in the blood are too high. Some argue that any lead in the blood is too high (I think that is a bit extreme, I have never gotten a lead level <1 in all the screens I do, 10 is the cutoff).

I personally chose not to register for leaded wine glasses. Me and my FI decided we didn''t want to take the risk. I am still trying to find a nice decanter that is unleaded.

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the responses! I will not be registering for a crystal decanter, regular ole glass is fine for me for that, although I doubt that will ever be used for storing wine anyways, maybe only for show at a party or something, ha!

I guess I feel like, well, I won''t be using these wine glasses on a regular basis, so it "should" be okay, right? I mean, they recall children''s toys and stuff over lead concerns, surely they wouldn''t let knowingly toxic wine glasses stay on the market...?? Yesss I know, different standards for kids stuff and whatnot, but seriously, does this seem odd to anyone?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2010 10:01:17 PM
Author: MagsyMay
Thank you for the responses! I will not be registering for a crystal decanter, regular ole glass is fine for me for that, although I doubt that will ever be used for storing wine anyways, maybe only for show at a party or something, ha!

I guess I feel like, well, I won''t be using these wine glasses on a regular basis, so it ''should'' be okay, right? I mean, they recall children''s toys and stuff over lead concerns, surely they wouldn''t let knowingly toxic wine glasses stay on the market...?? Yesss I know, different standards for kids stuff and whatnot, but seriously, does this seem odd to anyone?

It is a little different for kids because they are more sensitive to lower levels of lead, and a developing brain is very sensitive to the effects of lead. The cognitive defects that lead poisoning causes are considered irreversible.

The most rapid brain development occurs in utero and in the first 3 year of life. If course, I would not be drinking from wine glasses when I was TTC or pregnant. But, I don''t want to put anything in my body that could potentially elevate my lead level before I start trying (even if it is "safe") and have it affect the development of the fetus. It might just be paranoia, but there are enough beautiful wine glasses out there that are lead free that I just don''t want to risk it.

I also read about decanters. They are only good for 2 things. One is to filter an aged wine (filtering was the traditional use for them, but now wine really doesn''t has solid particulate unless it is aged). The other is to "open" a very young wine, but it really should not be in the decanter for more than 8 hours. I find pouring my wine in a good sized glass and waiting a few minutes before drinking it usually opens it up fine.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/13/2010 10:32:58 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker

Date: 5/13/2010 10:01:17 PM
Author: MagsyMay

I guess I feel like, well, I won''t be using these wine glasses on a regular basis, so it ''should'' be okay, right? I mean, they recall children''s toys and stuff over lead concerns, surely they wouldn''t let knowingly toxic wine glasses stay on the market...?? Yesss I know, different standards for kids stuff and whatnot, but seriously, does this seem odd to anyone?

It is a little different for kids because they are more sensitive to lower levels of lead, and a developing brain is very sensitive to the effects of lead. The cognitive defects that lead poisoning causes are considered irreversible.

The most rapid brain development occurs in utero and in the first 3 year of life. If course, I would not be drinking from wine glasses when I was TTC or pregnant. But, I don''t want to put anything in my body that could potentially elevate my lead level before I start trying (even if it is ''safe'') and have it affect the development of the fetus. It might just be paranoia, but there are enough beautiful wine glasses out there that are lead free that I just don''t want to risk it.

I also read about decanters. They are only good for 2 things. One is to filter an aged wine (filtering was the traditional use for them, but now wine really doesn''t has solid particulate unless it is aged). The other is to ''open'' a very young wine, but it really should not be in the decanter for more than 8 hours. I find pouring my wine in a good sized glass and waiting a few minutes before drinking it usually opens it up fine.

We''ve had some wine recently that had sediment that needed filtered. They weren''t aged, just had sediment. There are also some wines that need to be aerated (not just left to open) and filtering into a decanter usually does this well enough.

I like serving wine to guests out of the decanter and we bring it out for holidays and other special occasions (even if it is just the two of us) as well.

One advantage to a glass decanter is that it is lighter. Our crystal decanter is quite heavy. If you plan to set it out on a table for people to pour (or don''t want your pouring arm to get sore), the lighter weight glass certainly has the advantage. I''ve seen glass decanters in other people''s homes and they still look elegant.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results