shape
carat
color
clarity

Rhodolite vs Umba Garnet Comparison

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my quest for a good, ‘crimson red’ CS - not having the budget for a nice, sizable natural Burmese Spinel or Ruby :cry2: - I started looking at alternatives awhile ago, and only recently came across both of these garnets which showed the most promise color-wise given the vendor pics & descriptions, so I ordered them both to see them in person. I think both are beautiful in their own right, so I’m not posting this so much to suggest one is better than the other.

Rather, I’m hoping this might help someone else considering both garnet types, as I couldn’t find any side-by-side comparisons to understand the difference when I was searching. And these both happen to be the same size, albeit different cuts (rhodolite has a taller crown while the umbalite has a larger, lower table. Both of these were described by the vendors as being “more on the red side” (Rhodolite/PrecisionGem) and “crimson red” (Umbalite/Litnon). To my eyes, the Litnon garnet is more ‘crimson’ than the pics reveal (they look slightly orange-ish in the photos but it is really a ‘crimson red’ IRL) and the PG garnet looks more reddish-purple than purplish-red IRL to me.

My observation of the two side-by-side strictly on ‘color performance’ is that the rhodolite seems to ‘black-out’ a bit easier/more frequently, whereas the umbalite tends to be brighter more often in terms of color consistency and not black-out as much, if at all (which these pics do not show, actually, they show the opposite of what I see IRL). I tried to take a variety of pictures to show them in different light settings and angles, but it was more to show the color & faceting as opposed to trying to show one/other ‘at its worst’, if that makes sense. Again, both are beautiful stones, and it’s really a ‘first-world problem’ to own both. ;)2

Indoors, diffused light (Rhodolite top; Umbalite bottom):
D32B0499-E665-49F3-B407-25AEABE45B0C.jpeg
Outdoors, indirect light (Rhodolite top; Umbalite bottom):
A3EEB6FF-A8AC-405D-8C16-F9A706771629.jpeg
Also outdoors, but I’d tapped my iPad Pro screen to focus and the color changed/white-balanced (not sure):
6B871D18-B449-4F09-A695-A3289C54B4E8.jpeg
Indoors, diffused light (Rhodolite left; Umbalite right):
39901D2C-2554-41F1-8570-03B85EC164E0.jpeg
Indoors, diffused light (Rhodolite right; Umbalite left):
5B9585A7-7BD8-469B-BABB-4D582CF2B80E.jpeg
Indoors, diffused light (Rhodolite top; Umbalite bottom):
01FBBCBD-F2FC-4CBC-905C-988237E9C64E.jpeg

Obviously, these are both cut by different people/from two different vendors. But I am curious - if anyone can answer - why the cuts vary so much (e.g., in terms of the facet pattern, crown angle, etc.). Is there that much of a ‘call’ by one vs. the other garnet material/type to have a lower crown and chunkier facets, or is it simply a matter of cutter preference based on the material?

Lastly, if anyone else has any pictures, comparisons, or commentary about the differences between these two varieties of garnet, please feel free to chime in and add your photos, thoughts, observations, etc. I wish I could have found more direct comparisons explaining (in layman terms) how these two differ when I was searching, so every little bit of information might help the next consumer! :wavey:

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the comparison, very interesting! I’m really surprised how red your Umbalite is. Here’s a (bad) pic of mine that looks very different...
9E4B4B29-26A0-49BC-9B31-3A110BA20AF8.jpeg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the comparison, very interesting! I’m really surprised how red your Umbalite is. Here’s a (bad) pic of mine that looks very different...
9E4B4B29-26A0-49BC-9B31-3A110BA20AF8.jpeg

Wow, they are different in color! I imagine though that there are different variations in the ‘red’ family, even in that same region.

I’m curious though what the profile of your umbalite garnet looks like in terms of how high/low the crown is, table, etc. Any chance you have a side view of it? :think:

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
An Umbalite garnet is essentially a rhodolite garnet, the refractive index and other properties are the same. An Umbalite garnet got it’s name from the source of the Umba valley, and to be called Umbalite, they are a lighter more pink color than the typical rhodolite. Rhodolite are a mix of Pyrope and Almandine garnets. There is also another garnet called Umba garnet that is different than rhodolite, but also comes from East Africa. These Umba stones are more red with some orange. From your pictures, the stone you are calling an Umbalite, looks more like an Umba garnet to me.
East Africa is rich in garnets, with so many mixes of types, that names often come from the locations they are found. Most of the garnets from this region are a mix of Pyrope, Grossular, Almandine and Spessartite. There is a lot of debate on the proper names for these and how to classify them. There is a whole book devoted to naming garnets by W. Hanneman Phd called “Naming Gem Garnets”.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@PrecisionGem You are correct; I just double checked the info regarding the Litnon stone, and it is an Umba Garnet; not an Umbalite. Thank you so much for the catch & explanation about the two different types! VERY helpful! :appl:

And I’ll see if I can get admin to update/correct the thread title so as not to cause further confusion.

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow, they are different in color! I imagine though that there are different variations in the ‘red’ family, even in that same region.

I’m curious though what the profile of your umbalite garnet looks like in terms of how high/low the crown is, table, etc. Any chance you have a side view of it? :think:

It’s not with me at the moment so I can’t give you a profile pic, sorry...:(2

Gene’s post explains a lot. That’s something that always throws me, these garnet mixes that look very similar but are given different nanes. Umba, Umbalite, Tanga, Tocantines, ‘Rose Blush’... the list goes on...

arglthesheep

Rough_Rock
Trade
Yes you have differentiate between trade names and gemmological names. Some tradename are established for years like tsavorites or rhodolites. Some are coming just to name some color tones like strawberry garnets or imperial garnets. Garnet is a very big group and most of the members are mixtures. Pure members (like pure Almandin, pure spessartin, pure pyrop) are rarely found as there is normally some kind of mix present. But this is also why we can find so many shades of colors and properties (liks colorshifting or colorchanging). We love garnets and its really awesome to see what is coming out of these garnet sources every time.
I can only point again to the Site of Kirk Feral, where you can find many infos regarding garnets. Its worth spending a little time to understand them as it is one very interesting group in the gemstone world.

https://www.gemstonemagnetism.com/garnet_classification.html

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a very helpful post! Thank you for taking the time to post pics of comparisons as I know many people (including myself) have thought of these garnets as an alternative whilst looking for a red stone. :appl:

arglthesheep

Rough_Rock
Trade
In my opinion the world of garnets is the most underestimated part in the gemstones business. You get plenty of real nice stones, with good hardness to set in jewellery for mostly a fair amount of money. Garnets are to me one of the most honest stones as nearly none of them is treated or respond to treatment. Probably demantoid is the only exception here, as some get heated.
Just have a look here to seem some of this great variety:
https://4cs.gia.edu/en-us/blog/january-birthstone-where-garnets-come-from/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results