shape
carat
color
clarity

Rhodium plating?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all! I have a Simon G platinum engagement ring. When I tried on the matching band (also in platinum) in the B&M, I noticed that the wedding band metal was much whiter/shiner. This got me thinking that maybe Simon G rhodium plated their platinum. I asked the question and it turns out that they do. I''d like to get my e-ring re-rhodium plated before our wedding (Sept. 6) so the metals match.

Is anyone out there willing to share how much it has cost them in the past to have a ring rhodium plated? Also, my ring has very delicate milgrain. After rhodium plating, do they need to re-do this? Do they need to remove the stones for rhodium plating?

Thank you all for your help in advance, and please excuse my lack of knowledge.
1.gif

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Gary!

laineybugger

Shiny_Rock
Thank you that is good to know!! My white gold e-ring is looking like it needs to be re-plated and I was worried it would cost too much to have it done every year.

Schell

Rough_Rock
I''m also interested in the rhodium plating process. As the OP asked, does the plating "wash out" any of the delicate details of the original design?

denverboy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/31/2008 1:37:46 PM
Author: Schell
I'm also interested in the rhodium plating process. As the OP asked, does the plating 'wash out' any of the delicate details of the original design?

I asked a similar question about this in a post a few weeks ago and someone replied that the coating was a few atoms thick and wouldn't "cover" and delicate details like milgraining. But would be good to get a confirmation of that from someone or a good website..

Here is the post from my thread, from Mercoledi:

The milgraining will not be adversely effected by rhodium plating either. Electro-plating adds a layer of metal that is literally atoms thick; it won't gunk up your setting's milgrain or engraving. Milgrain will naturally wear down over time, but you can either take that as a mark of how much your lady wears her ring, or have it re-done occasionally.

One caveat, really nice milgrain is hard to replicate, so if you want it to always be sharp, build a relationship with someone who does it well.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2008 1:37:46 PM
Author: Schell
I''m also interested in the rhodium plating process. As the OP asked, does the plating ''wash out'' any of the delicate details of the original design?
My ring is very heavy on Milgrain and I just got it rhodium plated ($40). All details are still there, nothing changed at all. The thing that would change detailing on a ring is the polish that is done before the plating process, however your jeweler should only polish smooth surfaces and leave the others untouched (at least this is what mine did).

AndyMN

Rough_Rock
Trade
The stones will not be removed. An electric charge will be applied to your ring when it us put in the solution and the rhodium will adhere to the ring’s metal only. It''s a very clean, easy process and your ring will again look like the day you got it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results