shape
carat
color
clarity

rhodium plating???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jackson

Rough_Rock
My E color Ering is set in white gold....the jeweler said he was having it rhodium plated after he soldered on the head which would accomodate the size of the stone....
I picked it up, and it looked great...But now it''s looking a little yellowish at the base of the head...esp. where soldered on.....He said he hadn''t plated it , because he thought it polished up OK...but offered to have it plated....
What effect would that have on the diamond? There are also several side stones. Should I get it plated....get platinum head, or what? I don''t want stone to pick up color.......Help! Can it be plated with diamonds in setting?

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Yes the stones can't be plated onto and the extra whitness at the solder and under the stone will last forever. It will scratch off in exposed areas after time, but if it is a good white colour metal then you won't really notice.

jackson

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I get pretty nervous about these things.....I read on another website...a plating website, that it can get "stuck" under the stones....I guess that person was trying to remove the plating from yellow gold (they plated the YG w/ rhodium and it started to wear off).
Your response to the "prong" thread was scary...isn''t the stone in danger of being chipped when it is not seated right?
I have a diamond with a crack near the girdle that I whacked while doing dishes in college dorm...I was later told that it was probably due more to incorrect soldering than the height of the setting.....
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results