shape
carat
color
clarity

Rhodium plated white gold: to polish or not to polish??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tiffanylynn

Rough_Rock
I have a white gold engagement ring and wedding band and am wondering if it is safe to use a ring polish on them or if this polish will remove the rhodium coating. I cannot seem to find an answer anywhere! Please help!!

Nick Toseland

Rough_Rock

yeah i guess it would do, dont do it alot though.

my Fiance had a 18Ct WG engagement ring that lasted only 9 months before turning yellow. Upgrading to Platinum now.

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
It takes a lot of polishing on a buff turning at 10,000 rpm to get rhodium off. If you want to take it off you need to emery paper it first. If your hand-rubbing it then it will be years before you get it off.

If I am wrong, let me know because I often need to remove rhodium, as it can discolour when you solder a ring that has it on. I then strip the piece by doing the reverse of plating and re-plate or I take it off the way decribed above.

I can polish a ring with rhodium quite a few times as it is a very wear resistent metal.

Hope this helps,

Phillip

imperial Jewels

Rough_Rock
W.R. Cobb now produce a white gold called "precise white" that is an abosultely white gold, rather than a yellowish-white, that does away for the need of rhodium coating and its inherent problems. Run a google search on "W.R. Cobb precise white" for a list of distributors. Hope this helps!

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
I have just finished making a piece using paladium white gold. There is no inherant need to plate that, as it is as white a w/g as you can get, but it would hurt. It depends on the person buying it if they want it plated.

Rhodium will always enhance a diamond. It is the whitest metal used in jewellery.

If you use rhodium on a very white metal there are advantages as scratches won''t be obvious when the underlying material is revealed. It never comes off under the setting where it counts.

Hope this helps,

PS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results