shape
carat
color
clarity

Rhodium nightmare & diamond questions

catia

Shiny_Rock
Have limited time to post-will try to be quick.

I had a vintage style 14kt white gold setting that has a bunch of fine detail of a flower with what appears to be milgrain & the teeniest diamonds.
It was never used, it sat in a box for at least decade. The pics doesn't show the detail well, it is a very old 'stock' photo from a decade ago & the pics is a little over bright but shows the flower design. It was much prettier in person
It sat in a box, never set a stone in it. because I had to cancel plans & it also needed sized down. Life happens & things get put to the side.

Fast forward to now, I am viewing stones for this setting & needed it sized. I seeked out a local jeweler, with good recommendations for "my area"-spoke to them on the phone, went in person to discuss the ring being sized because he said he would need to look at it due to the sapphire side stones-to see if sizing would affect...

I trusted what the jeweler told me-because he looked at it when I took it to be sized. He said no problem with sizing it.
He told me that in order for him to size it, he would need to also do a new rhodium plating or my ring would be ugly & I would be dissatisfied, so whenever he works with white gold, he always does a new plating. He said if I did not, the ring would show lines from sizing & a very distinct color variation due to the sizing & it would be an ugly dark mark...He said the actual tone of the white gold under the rhodium is not a pretty color. He was very adamant about this being necessary, & that it is good to show off diamonds- I was told rhodium plating was standard & that my ring was rhodium plated.

But my ring was not obnoxious, if it was rhodium plated- it must have been antiqued or maybe it wasn't originally plated, BUT-you could clearly see-without trying, the delicate details of the petals/flower design, & clearly see the petals & milgrain-while the diamonds are so teeny-almost not worth mentioning, they had some sparkle that was not just reflection of the tiny tables. Those tiny diamonds actually gave off color sparkle.

BF picked up my sized ring. I didn't look at it at 1st, I just pulled it out of the bag to try on. The sizing is off-I can get it on my finger, but it fits like a 4.5 not a 4.75-5, but the worst part was when I looked at it
IT IS UGLY-it now just looks like some OBNOXIOUS GLOB OF FAKE METAL. ALL detail on the ring can't be seen unless you are right on it less than 12 inches from your eye. It has ZERO diamond sparkle-but OBNOXIOUS shine from the metal only-I mean ALL of the pretty details are lost-I may as well not even have ANY design at all-it just looks like a blob
At 1st I thought it must have just been dirty from fingerprints because there was not a twinkle from the diamonds AT ALL-I scrubbed it with toothbrush & dishsoap-nothing. The metal is so obnoxiously bright & shiny you just can't see the diamonds. while tiny, the diamonds are white & the whiteness of the metal just makes everything wash out. So much so that I got out a cheapie 10x loupe to see if any of the diamonds are missing-that's how hard it is to see the details on the ring now.

Has ANYONE has success in removing this god awful rhodium plating?
I've only had time to do brief searches due to work schedule-I need help please!
I see rhodium can be "buffed' off-but that process sounds pretty abrasive & may affect the very delicate details.
I've also read there may be some way to reverse plate using a reverse type of electroplate process-but there is painfully little online & I've not found pics for comparison before/after.

I'm now so on the fence-about what to do:
because I do not know if the ring was in fact rhodium plated originally, & based upon what my local jeweler said about the actual color of the base 14kt white gold being an ugly color, I am doubly stressed...
I was just fine with the color of the metal when I originally purchased, & just fine with the mellowed color from sitting in a box for over a decade (I read all white gold mellows with age whether worn or not).
I do not want the fix to be worse than what I've got now...And I've got to make a decision because the stone is going to be set within the next week or so.

**FYI: I am in contact with Jonathan/Rhino from DG about this, & he said his bench jeweler can remove it, but I do not know which process will be used. I will ask for clarification.**
Also is the unplating going to weaken the base 14k white gold or mess with the integrity of my setting???

I'm here wanting to hear more than 1 person's experience, or more than 1 professional's opinion. Only listening to 1 person is what got me into this mess!

If anyone has any pictures to post that would be great. I have no idea now what the color *may* end up post rhodium removal-just that local jeweler convinced me the metal under was ugly-which worries me-but I know some of you ladies here do not get rhodium-And to be quite honest, this crap should be illegal-or someone should at least WARN you ahead that you will lose ALL DETAIL AND PATINA & the metal shine will overpower and sparkle from small diamonds & wash everything out.

IMHO rhodium plating makes it look *Hood Rat FAKE* like putting chrome on a finger-IT IS AWFUL

***I was so disgusted with the lack of detail, in an effort to try to get some details back in my ring, *I let it soak in wet coffee grounds and ashes*...hoping it might allow me to see the petals & tiny milgrain like details again---NOPE!!! This rhodium crap lets NOTHING stick to it, I rinsed it & the ONLY thing it might have affected was that I can see an ever so slight twinkle of color in 1 or 2 of the tiny diamonds, but did nothing for detail...

Thank you for letting me rant-and WHINE!!!
I hope this serves as a WARNING to anyone getting a white gold ring sized and being talked into rhodium plating-or not being told they will replate-it may completely destroy ALL details of your setting-especially if fine & delicate. my sapphire mounting.jpg

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
Can you provide a pic of how the ring looks now?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Black rhodium plating? I dont know if they can do it at various degrees to keep it lighter but you may find it more pleasant
than the OBNOXIOUS GLOB OF FAKE METAL that you have at the moment. I'm sure some others will pop in with some other
ideas.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In a relatively short time rhodium plating that looks overly white wears away from the highest surfaces of a ring to re-expose the details that were just recently plated. The lower portions of the plating remain in place for a far longer period of time. Nothing about rhodium plating degrades the detailing of a piece of jewelry. Possibly, the ring was polished a bit after sizing and a little detailing was lost before rhodium was plated on. We surely won't be able to tell by a relatively small photo.

Since the ring does not fit correctly, it needs to be re-sized yet again. Ask the jeweler not to re-polish the upper parts of the ring, just the bottom of the shank. That will save the details of the upper 2/3 of the ring from any further degradation.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In a relatively short time rhodium plating that looks overly white wears away from the highest surfaces of a ring to re-expose the details that were just recently plated. The lower portions of the plating remain in place for a far longer period of time. Nothing about rhodium plating degrades the detailing of a piece of jewelry. Possibly, the ring was polished a bit after sizing and a little detailing was lost before rhodium was plated on. We surely won't be able to tell by a relatively small photo.

Since the ring does not fit correctly, it needs to be re-sized yet again. Ask the jeweler not to re-polish the upper parts of the ring, just the bottom of the shank. That will save the details of the upper 2/3 of the ring from any further degradation.

This. Rhodium plating doesnt remove details. It just changes the color of the metal. I am worried that maybe they polished some part of it. Btw, unplated white gold isnt ugly at all. It's a kind of warm white. I have an unplated WG ring and cant tell the difference between it vs pieces I've worn and haven't gotten re plated.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have seen the same thing happen.
When fine detail are polished and even more so over time the high spots takes a different finish than the low spots, this provides contrast and makes them stand out.
Rhodium plating then makes for a uniform look that ruins the contrast.
Also to much polishing can remove the details.

One its plated, removing it by polish will wreck the ring so make sure you know how whoever you choose to deal with it is going to do it.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forcing one to rhodium plate gives the jeweler license to use whatever color of gold solder s/he wants. Seems mighty lazy, but has happened to me.

catia

Shiny_Rock
Karl K-you are exactly right-it makes for a uniform awfulness. An obnoxious blob.
It destroyed the contrast. The contrast IS the DETAIL.
It is the low spots I want this out of.
When I bought this new it NEVER looked like this-I would have never bought it if it did.
I feel like I'm competing with spinner hubcaps.

No polishing-just plating as far as I understand. I will NEVER go to that jeweler again. I'm far too disgusted. 2 screw ups in one shot.
This isn't a designer expensive piece-but it wasn't super cheap either-it had just enough pretty detail it could past as real vintage. These pics aren't the best, but I think it is pretty clear just how much fake looking crap is on this ring.
I've read somewhere the rhodium can be removed WITHOUT buffing-by reversing the charge for electroplate--any one know??? rhodium1.jpg rhodium2.jpg rhodium3.jpg

catia

Shiny_Rock
ARGHHHH!!!!--it just looks so CHEAP!!!--It's embarrassing to even post the pics.
those pics are AFTER it soaked overnight in wet coffee grounds & ashes-I did NOT shine it-I just ran it under the faucet- rinsed off as if never there-no soap!

The ONLY thing that is more viscous that this rhodium plating is dog saliva.

Why when white gold is called WHITE GOLD, indicating that it is both white, AND gold, do we need to fix something that ain't broke?

I'm afraid I'm going to be home invaded ferrets & crows.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am sorry you are so unhappy.

Personally I don’t like unplated white gold for my wg rings. The natural yellow color gold is makes it look - tinted-. As far as I know it is normal for many white gold ring to be rhodium plated. I get mine replated once a year when the plating wears down so they look new to my eye!

Fwiw yes rhodium plating can be removed by a competent jeweler. Find a jeweler you trust this next time!

I don’t think it looks like a glob of crud.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
white gold
Well those are 2 words and 2 lies.*
Its not white and its not all gold.
They are approximations of white and usual not great ones and are only part gold.*

*stuller 14k x1 is close enough to white to be called white but its ~58.3% gold.

catia

Shiny_Rock
I am not a bright shiny things person, I have a love of metals, just not this metal.

I prefer matte finishes, brushed metals & patina, and I actually like most of the colors of gold except the actual gold color- am not a fan of shiny brass either. I love bronze though, & off tints & hues-

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
catia, I understand your outrage, and my compliments to your powers of description. Spinner hubcaps, dog saliva, wonderfully graphic.
Mr. CarParts has a good friend who's a metal guy, taught at university level. We're going to ask him today.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Okay, the word is, rhodium is just like chrome, it's electroplated and removed by reversing the process. He said take it back to who did it and tell them it's awful, you want it reversed. He said it will not hurt the gold ring.
Don't know if I'd trust whoever did it. The guys I asked are restoring an Alph SS and they're very fussy about the quality of chrome work. Maybe talk to a good chrome shop?

catia

Shiny_Rock
LOL told ya it is competing with spinners!

Are those USA possums or some other type?
The possums in my yard never hang like that-they are great climbers though. Gonna hafta have a chat with the mama 'bout what she's been teachin the pups.

Dog saliva was a good descriptor I thought-ever try to scrub it off a hard surface?

I'm thinking since so many people seem to like this rhodium effect-I will just sell it.
Let someone enjoy it.

I am going to have a fun setting made that is functional & comfy that breaks all of the metal rules, & suits my lifestyle and stick a diamond in that.

I work with rocks & metal, on my days off work-for fun-literally am over 100 tons into my current project. I realized I am getting stressed out about a tiny 'rock holder'.

Not gonna let this 'rock holder mishap' stress me out any longer-the rhodium nightmare may have been a blessing in disguise.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
catia, I think selling the setting is a good idea. You'll come up with something we can't wait to see.
The Virginia Opossum should not live up here in Wisconsin but they do, and despite the food I put out every night and the nests I make, some don't survive. I love them and I wish they weren't such nomads because my garage and barn provide ample shelter.
What is your criteria for a setting?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If it is being resized no problem.
If you want to spend some time by yourself you can give the ring a gentle rub with some steel wool for a few seconds then while watching a movie polish off the rhodium with a silver polishing cloth from the supermarket. It may take an hour or so and will only take off the highest polished raised bits and will deposit darker material in the crevices reproducing an old vintage appearance.
Or ask the jeweler resizing to only use tripoli and no final polish rouge or Lux type highlight polish.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My solitaire in my avatar is unplated white gold. I love it.

catia

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Garry-good to know.

Ibrakeforpossums--My 1st love for jewelry is old vintage which is easy peasy all day long on this site.
But my true love of metals in general is much more industrial.

My love of rocks isn't limited to what the majority find pleasing on this site.
I've had a passion for rocks since i was born. As a young child I walked around the neighborhood with a hammer to break open rocks to see what was inside.

Sometimes I get off on dark specks/inclusions in diamonds-specifically when they are reflected in the facets and show pattern. I like to refer to them as freckles.
I LOVE freckles-on people & in diamonds.

Then there is the other issue- I'm color sensitive.
but in all the "wrong' directions from what most prefer on this site.
Mostly I prefer lower colored diamonds. Few diamonds higher than a J color do anything for me.
My last vacation I got all sidetracked while taking the dog swimming in some backwoods lake in Tennessee-because the rocks on the lake bottom had a color I had not seen before. I lost myself & ended up with about a 5 gallon bucket of stones.
By color sensitive here is an example:
I have a small house that sits at the bottom of a steep slope most would consider a mountain. I needed to figure out how to build a retaining wall.
Decided on rock & metal.
1st triaxle of limestone (25 tons) I sorted by size & color...then came across old broken granite setts from an old road that was torn up. Sorted those by color, because there was a difference between blush/peachy & pinks. Drove my significant other NUTS because he can't see the point. I explained I am grading the color in a way from pink to peach so that you don't pick up the color change based upon the shadows of how the sun moves across the house-I like the pinks best & put them on the side I will use the most & graded to peach on the side I see the least. 3/4 of the way through, at about the 75 ton mark, we're working during a good rain, he began to understand the method of my madness when the saturation of the stones shows the most color.
I've got a graded color changing stone wall set in metal...Didn't need to be hand stacked, but it is.
This is how I do "bling".

What I've got in mind for the setting isn't gonna fly well here on PS.
I'm leaning towards a more industrial steampunk theme.
I'm not sure gold will even be a part of it.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What has happened is the “bright whiteness shine” has changed the look of the detail.
Not sure how reversing rhodium plating works but worth enquiring about.
Other than that and If you really hate it I’d try using some Brasso metal polish. It is an abrasive metal cleaner but not as strong as steel wool. Use a toothbrush. It isn’t going to “strip away” all the plating instantly but it should tone it down.
Rhodium plating is only micron thick so it does wear off over time.

StarshineSweet

Rough_Rock
Trade
Okay, the word is, rhodium is just like chrome, it's electroplated and removed by reversing the process. He said take it back to who did it and tell them it's awful, you want it reversed. He said it will not hurt the gold ring.
Don't know if I'd trust whoever did it. The guys I asked are restoring an Alph SS and they're very fussy about the quality of chrome work. Maybe talk to a good chrome shop?

Except that chrome is chromium and steel and a few other things, and rhodium is in the platinum family.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I had this happen..ONCE..just once. I lost the patina, and I lost the detail. I was heartbroken and disgusted. The jeweler does it to upsell his services, not caring or realizing that ps'ers pay very close attention to their pieces. He underestimated you, he lied about what the "old" color would be, there may or may not have even been plating on your ring [im guessing not because something with that kind of patina usually means there was no rhodium], and apparently they didn't size it properly. I am sorry this happened to you, and I sure hope you can get it reversed. But even if you do, im afraid the original patina is now gone.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Garry-good to know.

Ibrakeforpossums--My 1st love for jewelry is old vintage which is easy peasy all day long on this site.
But my true love of metals in general is much more industrial.

My love of rocks isn't limited to what the majority find pleasing on this site.
I've had a passion for rocks since i was born. As a young child I walked around the neighborhood with a hammer to break open rocks to see what was inside.

Sometimes I get off on dark specks/inclusions in diamonds-specifically when they are reflected in the facets and show pattern. I like to refer to them as freckles.
I LOVE freckles-on people & in diamonds.

Then there is the other issue- I'm color sensitive.
but in all the "wrong' directions from what most prefer on this site.
Mostly I prefer lower colored diamonds. Few diamonds higher than a J color do anything for me.
My last vacation I got all sidetracked while taking the dog swimming in some backwoods lake in Tennessee-because the rocks on the lake bottom had a color I had not seen before. I lost myself & ended up with about a 5 gallon bucket of stones.
By color sensitive here is an example:
I have a small house that sits at the bottom of a steep slope most would consider a mountain. I needed to figure out how to build a retaining wall.
Decided on rock & metal.
1st triaxle of limestone (25 tons) I sorted by size & color...then came across old broken granite setts from an old road that was torn up. Sorted those by color, because there was a difference between blush/peachy & pinks. Drove my significant other NUTS because he can't see the point. I explained I am grading the color in a way from pink to peach so that you don't pick up the color change based upon the shadows of how the sun moves across the house-I like the pinks best & put them on the side I will use the most & graded to peach on the side I see the least. 3/4 of the way through, at about the 75 ton mark, we're working during a good rain, he began to understand the method of my madness when the saturation of the stones shows the most color.
I've got a graded color changing stone wall set in metal...Didn't need to be hand stacked, but it is.
This is how I do "bling".

What I've got in mind for the setting isn't gonna fly well here on PS.
I'm leaning towards a more industrial steampunk theme.
I'm not sure gold will even be a part of it.

Lots of sensible advice here.
I can't wait to see what you do. With your background, it'll be amazing.

catia

Shiny_Rock
Before I get too froggy & leap I do have some other questions.
I've not yet found a jeweler who says anything about the reverse electroplate, just the 'buffing it off' thing-which I am worried may remove more detail.

I am curious now about the black rhodium-which appears to have issues as well.
What I am reading is people who purchased entirely black rings, but the rhodium wears off after a few months-
What I am curious about is if this is the same type of stuff jewelers use for 'antiquing' a ring? Or do they use something else that is more controllable?
does it gets into tiny crevices like into the milgrain where it doesn't get rubbed off like the highspots?

I've seen beautifully antiqued rings by CVB & I can't imagine that the people purchasing those settings are having to constantly re-rhodium to keep that effect.
what is used to get the antiqued effect?

I like the darker metal colors like tungsten & titanium, looking for more gun metal color-that would be my ultimate metal color but the choices for 'custom' don't seem to be truly custom.
-in my searches it appears these metals are difficult to work with & those rings are mostly just laser engraved bands & I'm not 'feelin it' on lazer engraving, I do want something that has a more carved softer look & not assembly line laser effect.

What are my choices for gun metal?

catia

Shiny_Rock
Lots of sensible advice here.
I can't wait to see what you do. With your background, it'll be amazing.

FYI-I sent back the 2 AVC's I was viewing & could use some input on the 3 I've got coming-I started a thread over in lab grown: Champagne Taste Hot Dog Budget

headlight

Ideal_Rock
This is so unfortunate… putting a bright rhodium kills the vintage look of that style ring… too bad it isn’t in platinum as that really seems to me to be more suited to a vintage style.
But a rhodium over gold (aka known to most as “white gold”) can be a good thing… for the right look. Many ring styles look fantastic this way, especially solitaires. And also with colorless diamonds… a super pretty and striking look.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results