shape
carat
color
clarity

Revisiting the recut option

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Recently in my adventures to find a new jeweler I went back to a shop I have used before, I didn't own the OEC the last time I was there.

When I went in I told her all the problems I've been having lately with getting a jeweler to set a stone for me and I also showed her the diamond while I was there. She said she knows a diamond cutter in upstate NY who could recut it, she had to make a phone call though to see if they could keep the same OEC cut.

She left a message today that she heard back and yes they would be able to keep the same cut, best of all it would be insured under the jeweler during transport and insured under the cutter during the actual recut.

My hesitation is how much weight it will lose so what do you guys think? Do I send it away and make her perfect or do I keep the chips and size she is now? She said the cost is $450 per carat, mine is just under 1.25 currently.

By the way I know I could post this in RT but I feel like the vintage folk might have a different perspective so wanted to post here, plus it's the home base you know?

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @kgizo I really appreciate it. My hesitation is just that this is a very clean diamond and also my ideal weight so to lose some of that weight or if the diamond were to go missing I would be crushed. So part of me feels to leave it as it is and not mess with it. Of course it's not really worth anything in its current state to anyone but me but I will never sell it so the value is not really a concern.

And I just have to say again that your avatar is my favorite by far, could stare at it all day.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I'd want to do some research on the cutter being put forward for consideration, to assure myself that their work was good quality, but I appreciate that can be hard if they don't have any social media and/or are too far away to visit.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny, that makes sense, I just don't know if it's foolish not to go through with this, it's really ridiculous because I didn't pay a lot for the stone but I am massively attached to it. Still thinking about it but my anxiety may get the best of me in the end.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, there's no harm in just holding on to it and seeing how you feel after a little while - old cuts are all about the character, and there's nothing wrong with loving some wonky old thing that's slightly leaky, it's no different to cars and pets :) (and partners ;-) :lol: lol)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on a recommendation here I recently took 2 OECS to be “cleaned up” to Southwest Diamond Cutters. They should be ready next week. Here is their price list so you have a comparison:
https://southwestdiamondcutters.com/diamond-cutting/

Here’s the thread recommending them. Perhaps the before and after can give you a general idea about what to expect.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oec-recut.240785/
@kgizo Hope you will share the results! Exciting project!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @OoohShiny Old cuts have character, charm & stories to tell. Their quirkiness is what makes them special & unique. If you are uncertain about sending it to be recut, then your heart is just not ready to do it yet.

There's no hurry :))

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks ladies, this is something I think about from time to time but the anxiety of a bad outcome always wins and this time is no different.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @Alex T
If you are having doubts, then don't do it. The recut will cost half what you paid for the ring and the work you already had done on it.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @Alex T
If you are having doubts, then don't do it. The recut will cost half what you paid for the ring and the work you already had done on it.

We really need to live closer so you can talk me out of all my crazy ideas before I post them and solidify the impression that I'm unstable!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We really need to live closer so you can talk me out of all my crazy ideas before I post them and solidify the impression that I'm unstable!
You know, my funds are extremely limited, so I always look at the bottom dollar when I want something. Everyday, I wish I had the freedom to get what I want, when I want. PS sometimes makes me feel pretty out of place because I can't do that.
You got the greatest deal ever on that big diamond. Relish in that fact and resist the temptation to keep spending on her. I'm not lecturing, just sending love! I know it's hard. I want everything I see posted here, and it's hard not to be influenced by all the great bling!

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, you are so right and it is hard not to get caught up in the excitement of it all. I appreciate the reality check. Nothing but love for my vintage sister =)2

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @kgizo I really appreciate it. My hesitation is just that this is a very clean diamond and also my ideal weight so to lose some of that weight or if the diamond were to go missing I would be crushed. So part of me feels to leave it as it is and not mess with it. Of course it's not really worth anything in its current state to anyone but me but I will never sell it so the value is not really a concern.

And I just have to say again that your avatar is my favorite by far, could stare at it all day.
Coming late to the thread but that bolder bit jumped out at me. You have a strong attachment to this diamond as it is. And you got a great deal (if it’s the stone I’m remembering). What are you looking to do by recutting if you’re happy with it as it is? :P2 I think sometimes we chase perfection but maybe we don’t need to if it makes your heart sing as it is.
Now if it’s a matter of “I love it but...” every time you see it, that’s a bit different.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@foxinsox, this honestly wasn't even on my radar until there was the real possibility presented by the jeweler. However there really isn't a good reason to do that because I'm not going to sell it and am not really concerned with the value of it when I die so.....

I've got a colored stone project I'm working on so I'm going to focus on that and forget about this because if it ain't broke don't fix it :mrgreen2:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m glad you aren’t recutting it. While it is unlikely for things to go wrong, it happens and given how attached you are to it I would hate for you to have any regrets. I had 2 CS’s get chips that had to be polished out and was devastated.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m glad you aren’t recutting it. While it is unlikely for things to go wrong, it happens and given how attached you are to it I would hate for you to have any regrets. I had 2 CS’s get chips that had to be polished out and was devastated.

Oh no, anytime anything happens to one of our pretties whether a colored stone or diamond it is just the worst freaking feeling ever. If anything happened to this diamond I would be pretty devastated so we will just leave her be.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results