shape
carat
color
clarity

Review of USA Certed Diamonds Toronto (Martin Sheffield)

msnc73

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, first-time poster here, but just had to add to the positive reviews for Mr. Martin Sheffield and USA Certed Diamonds.

I've been searching for an engagement ring for about 1.5 years. This started off with going to the mall and talking to the people at the jewellery stores, where I left feeling pretty turned off (sticker shock mostly!). I realized that I'd have to do some (a lot) of my own research if I was going to get the quality of ring and stone I wanted for a reasonable price. Eventually I found my way here to Pricescope, and found Martin. I cannot say enough how glad I am to have found both Pricescope and Martin!

From the moment I first contacted Martin, I had a sense of confidence that this was a person who was exceptionally knowledgeable and would help me find exactly what I was looking for. Martin was very accommodating of my weird schedule (I'm a student and am not regularly in Toronto) and, over the course of the past 8 weeks we went from searching for a stone to a finished engagement ring! After corresponding first via email and phone calls, Martin called around to his contacts in New York and elsewhere to locate stones that fit my criteria. By the time I made it in to see him in person we'd found what I was looking for - actually a lot more than I was looking for! Initially I was hoping to get ~2 carats but Martin found this 2.54 carat stone for an amazingly low price. I never felt pressured to choose anything I wasn't 100% satisfied with and felt totally at ease when Martin went over the details and examined each stone with me in his office, helping me to determine which stone was the best. Once we found the stone, Martin also connected me with an excellent jeweller who, like Martin, went above and beyond to make sure every detail was just as I envisioned it. The photo below really does not do it justice.

I can't be happier with the way the ring turned out and the ease of this entire process. Martin was straightforward, no-nonsense, and told me everything I needed to know (and confirmed a lot of what I'd read myself) to confidently select a stone. I highly recommend working with Martin if you are looking for an excellent diamond, responsive service, and an amazing bang for your buck.

img_0238_8.jpg

miraj

Rough_Rock
Wow, a student who can afford a 2ct in Canada! Congrats! Wish I had that kind of money as a student.

Any other stats on the stone or ring?

msnc73

Rough_Rock
Oh right, that does sound weird - I worked for a few years before returning to studies so had saved up for this for a long time before actually buying it :)
Stone is 2.54, G, SI with two 0.5 carat VS1 tapered baguettes on the sides. Can't seem to get a good photo of it on my phone, but when the stone catches the light it is so brilliant!

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very nice! Congrats on the purchase and all the best with the proposal (which I presume is happening soon?)

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say I am skeptical. This dealer is consistently showing diamonds at lower prices than other dealers. (Exact same stones). I called him about a stone and he said it was in another country. But he assured me over and over again he was the cheapest and would send me a list of similar stones. That was about a month ago and I not heard a peep.

OP has a total of two posts. Fishy?

kevcenteno

Rough_Rock
That's the thing with Martin. You really need to follow up with him. He's runs a very small and independent outfit, which I imagine keeps his costs low.

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I called Martin and haven't heard back from him. I think he might be on vacation or something. He lists a smaller spread (between wholesale and retail) than other sellers. However it's still large enough that on most higher priced diamonds other sellers would probably be willing to match it.

Most sellers are intermediaries who sell other people's diamonds. This includes James Allen and Blue Nile and the like. Some also buy a little of their own inventory to lock up desirable stones or make a larger profit margin.

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
Similar experience, have tried online chat (never works) but directs you to "leave a message" which I have done twice and have never heard back. This is over the past 6 weeks.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also tried to get in touch with Martin. Never could. Gave up.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's the thing with Martin. You really need to follow up with him. He's runs a very small and independent outfit, which I imagine keeps his costs low.

"You really need to follow up with him" because "that's the thing with Martin" - yet one of the things you liked about him so much was his responsiveness? Interesting timing on this post since people have just been expressing disappointment on another thread with Martin's lack of communication.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I no longer suggest diamonds from this vendor. I just ignore the search results from this USA CERT.Go with B2C or Bluenile.
All reviews for this vendor are done by people with 1 or 2 posts who rarely come back to give other members any advice.
I would not say those reviews are fake. I say they are unreliable and meaningless.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results