shape
carat
color
clarity

Review of Riveria Maya

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know picking a honeymoon location is kind of stressful. We were worried about the weather (because of the time of year) so with some advice from a travel agent we backed away from our top picks (Punta Cana and somewhere in Costa Rica) and decided on Riviera Maya, Mexico (her favorite). We flew direct into the Cancun airport (around 2.5 hours!!!
9.gif
) From there we took an overpriced taxi to Iberostar Paraiso Beach Resort. It took about 20 mins. The resort is BEAUTIFUL. Very lovely, clean, grand. The pool was huge. The staff was very friendly. At times the night entertainment was silly, but still fun. They had everything you would need (Gym, Spa, Computer room, Game room...) The only downside was the food. Neither of us have ever been to an all-inclusive so maybe this is common but it kind reminded me of dorm food. We did get 3 nights as their "nice" restaurants which was actually good food. Two other nights we went to Playa del Carmen for dinner so it was fine. The weather was very nice. Looks like we got out of there just in time. It was nothing like Cancun. Had a more relaxed vibe vs. party vibe of cancun. In all it was an amazing deal and we had a great time. It was so nice to just worry about our tans after a stressful month (we both were working on big projects (yah, another issue to print!) and the wedding of course took a lot of time). The all-inclusive was nice as well. It was great not having to carry around money or a purse. I did leave my e-ring at home and my finger did miss her very much. I was so excited to be reunited. I probably would have felt safe with it but I just didn't want to have to worry about it. We both agree that we would be happy to go back there again.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
pics, pics, pics, please!

I''ve heard that the riviera is gorgeous! It''s one of the few places in Mexico that I''m not familiar with. Glad to hear that it''s nothing like Cancun (yuk).

Did you go see any of the ruins, or are they far from where you were?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2006 11:26:47 PM
Author:Tacori E-ring
I know picking a honeymoon location is kind of stressful. We were worried about the weather (because of the time of year) so with some advice from a travel agent we backed away from our top picks (Punta Cana and somewhere in Costa Rica) and decided on Riviera Maya, Mexico (her favorite). We flew direct into the Cancun airport (around 2.5 hours!!!
9.gif
) From there we took an overpriced taxi to Iberostar Paraiso Beach Resort. It took about 20 mins. The resort is BEAUTIFUL. Very lovely, clean, grand. The pool was huge. The staff was very friendly. At times the night entertainment was silly, but still fun. They had everything you would need (Gym, Spa, Computer room, Game room...) The only downside was the food. Neither of us have ever been to an all-inclusive so maybe this is common but it kind reminded me of dorm food. We did get 3 nights as their ''nice'' restaurants which was actually good food. Two other nights we went to Playa del Carmen for dinner so it was fine. The weather was very nice. Looks like we got out of there just in time. It was nothing like Cancun. Had a more relaxed vibe vs. party vibe of cancun. In all it was an amazing deal and we had a great time. It was so nice to just worry about our tans after a stressful month (we both were working on big projects (yah, another issue to print!) and the wedding of course took a lot of time). The all-inclusive was nice as well. It was great not having to carry around money or a purse. I did leave my e-ring at home and my finger did miss her very much. I was so excited to be reunited. I probably would have felt safe with it but I just didn''t want to have to worry about it. We both agree that we would be happy to go back there again.
Apparently this is quite common...

I do like the area, and for a resort that has better than average all inclusive food, I can recommend the Royal Hideaway. Their beach is also a bit nicer than some of the other ones we walked down. Their hook is that they have pretty good food and offer a more premium selection of alcohol. It''s pricey, but we did a bid on skyauction.com . The nice part about the auction is that if you win, you get to name the time you want to go. If there is no availability on those exact dates, you don''t have to pay. I checked and they still have these auctions... http://www.skyauction.com/action/offer/1185156 . Do a search on royal hideaway on the site...they have auctions for the resort with business class flights too (although I am not sure how those work.) The current auction I linked to has a high bid right now for $70 a night. Dirt cheap if the winner gets it...I think it''s normally at least $350 per person per night. We got ours in 2004 for $175 per person, per night. Everything is included.

www.royalhideaway.com

heatherdurant

Rough_Rock
Wow....I wish I had known about sky auction earlier. We just booked a 9 night stay at the Secrets Excellence, Maya Riviera. All-Inclusive, The Excellence Honeymoon Suite (1,041 square feet!!!) for $8,500. I did a ton of research and the food was always getting great reviews, above average for an AI. Also, great info for anyone researching honeymoon spots, reviews etc...
www.tripadvisor.com
Oh...May ''07 is when we plan to go!
Cant wait!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2006 11:02:27 PM
Author: heatherdurant
Wow....I wish I had known about sky auction earlier. We just booked a 9 night stay at the Secrets Excellence, Maya Riviera. All-Inclusive, The Excellence Honeymoon Suite (1,041 square feet!!!) for $8,500. I did a ton of research and the food was always getting great reviews, above average for an AI. Also, great info for anyone researching honeymoon spots, reviews etc...

www.tripadvisor.com

Oh...May ''07 is when we plan to go!

Cant wait!

You will love it. I don''t know if anyone watches "Chris Angel:Mindfreak" (DH loves it) but he just filmed from Iberostar in Rivera Maya (the same resort we stayed in!) DH would have died if we had gone the same time as him. Anyways, it is very beautiful and we can''t wait to go back so you will have a blast. I remember driving past Secrets on the way to Playa del Carmen (which was a nice day trip)

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got my favorite sundress EVER at a random stand in the Playa Del Carmen open-air street market.

One day I will get back there, and buy the whole rack!!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH took me to Playa del Carmen for our first "dating" trip together--we loved it! That was hmmm, 5 years ago? We have wanted to go back ever since, almost went back last spring but Katrina or some other hurricane had hit the whole Riviera Maya pretty hard and although our travel agent said it looked like everything would be fine, we opted to stay in country for our summer vacation instead. We stayed at an all-inclusive resort called "Riu" I believe, of which there are 3 in Playa del Carmen...we had full use of all the amenities in each resort, including the nightlife, of course. I would definitely recommend the area to any honeymooners, they really take care of you. My favorite little "perk" was that the maids came in every day and made little "sculptures" out of the hand towels and wash cloths and put them on our bed! I know, it doesn''t take much to amuse this traveler, lol! It was a cute touch, though. Everyone working in the resort was soooo friendly and nice, spoke a fair amount of English to our minimal Spanish, and made every effort to make us feel welcome and comfortable. We loved it, and would gladly go back. I''ve heard Cozumel is really nice as well.

35.gif

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for the reviews! my little brother is planning a wedding in riviera maya next summer. we plan on making it an anniversary trip! SO we are checking out some other resorts to stay at for a few nights, then meet up with them for the wedding activities!

glad you enjoyed your honeymoon. but come on....where are the pics????

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/22/2006 12:16:15 AM
Author: monarch64
My favorite little ''perk'' was that the maids came in every day and made little ''sculptures'' out of the hand towels and wash cloths and put them on our bed! I know, it doesn''t take much to amuse this traveler, lol! It was a cute touch, though.

35.gif

I loved that too! I even took a picture because I am lame. The put flowers on it too. Very cute! Hey, I got another place setting but DH wants me to return it. He doesn''t understand why we need 11 (even though I want 12) Haha.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/22/2006 1:32:06 AM
Author: msflutter
thanks for the reviews! my little brother is planning a wedding in riviera maya next summer. we plan on making it an anniversary trip! SO we are checking out some other resorts to stay at for a few nights, then meet up with them for the wedding activities!

glad you enjoyed your honeymoon. but come on....where are the pics????

I will try to post some tonight! Your brother''s wedding will be beautiful. Are they getting married at a resort?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is for Monarch!

356077933_0_464.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
View from our room.

356075919_0_464.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
another view.

356075975_0_464.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
The pool was HUGE. More like a river. At one end is a huge waterfall. The other end is a pool bar. There is also a smaller pool that has a bar as well.

356075047_0_464.jpg

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
WOW! Everything looks beautiful! Cant wait to go to rivieria maya next summer. My brother still hasnt booked, so who knows where it will be. But I should plan on spending a few days there!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

My family and I went to the Paridsio Maya last year and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Love the extensive well groomed properties. Jr. suites were great! I would return in a heartbeat.

cheers--Sharon

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2006 12:19:19 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

My family and I went to the Paridsio Maya last year and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Love the extensive well groomed properties. Jr. suites were great! I would return in a heartbeat.

cheers--Sharon

The landscaping was very beautiful. The buildings themselves are all very well maintained. We stayed in the "Beach" property which is the one nextdoor. The staff was very friendly as well.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2006 4:15:16 AM
Author: msflutter
WOW! Everything looks beautiful! Cant wait to go to rivieria maya next summer. My brother still hasnt booked, so who knows where it will be. But I should plan on spending a few days there!

You will have a great time. There was a wedding where we stayed. I am sure all the major resorts offer some sort of wedding package.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results