shape
carat
color
clarity

Review: Mark at Engagement Rings Direct (ERD)

ny_dan

Rough_Rock
Had a great experience with ERD earlier this year and remembered recently that I hadn't posted up a review yet (the website redesign over summer threw me off). My review:

Mark at Engagement Rings Direct (ERD) was an incredible person to have on my side. I was focused on getting a Canadian diamond, mainly because we are trying to be responsible global citizens, as well as a cushion cut because of her preferences on the setting.

Browsing through PS, I narrowed my search down to ERD and GOG based on reviews and the fact that I live in NYC. Emailed them both - GOG took a while getting back to me while Mark was very quick in responding. Mark is located in the heart of the diamond district in NYC, which means a lot of the diamond dealers are in his building - and that means he sees a lot of stones! At first I wasn't tied to any cushion cuts, but when I brought my sister to view a few stones we quickly agreed we had to go with an Old Mine cut - Mark's specialty.

It took a while to find, but in the end we got a Canadian Old Mine Brilliant, 1.5 H VS1 at a very competitive price. On top of that, I got Mark's personal attention and service in getting the Canadian certificate for the diamond. He went out of his way to work with the diamond cutter and Rio Tinto Diavik mine in Canada to get the certificate, which took a lot of work to get but came through in the end. Mark kept me up to date the whole way through, and was a pleasure to work with. The one thing I would say is that Mark is a busy man (just look at all the PS reviews) but am sure his coworkers are just as attentive.

Overall, the process took longer than I expected but was well worth it. It took about a month to find the diamond, a month for the certificate, and another month and a half to manufacture the custom ring. Not quite the Blue Nile overnight approach, but wouldn't have it any other way. My fiancé loves the ring and is constantly raving about it to her friends!

Thanks again Mark and ERD!

PS Just wanted to say the PS community was super helpful in helping me navigate the process - there's a lot of good stuff out here, and appreciate the help. Unfortunately don't have a great camera or picture of the ring, but attached the best I could do

Diamond: Engagement Rings Direct
Setting: Greenwich Jewelers
Insurance: Jewelers Mutual

Ring  .JPG

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its a very beautiful ring.

Would you mind explaining more about why you wanted a Canadian diamond. I'm sorry I am a bit ignorant on these issues. :))

ny_dan

Rough_Rock
Thanks! Don't want to make this a political discussion, so I'll just say that my fiance had a preference. Linked a quick article below for context. (If anything, the chart in this article helps shed some light on where diamonds come from)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704198004575311282588959188.html

The complexities of certificates on the other hand are probably another topic entirely ;-)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, your ring with your Canadian diamond is just beautiful!!

Wear it in good health :))

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the link. I read it with interest.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is gorgeous, and looks perfect on your hand!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results