shape
carat
color
clarity

Returning a Stone to IF Clarity

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Pumpsie

Rough_Rock
Thanks to Richard and everyone else for checking out my potential purchase (will only be a "potential" purchase for a few more days). The last numbers (crown height % and detail on the girdle are being overnighted to me and will arrive today).

The thing is, the girdle is rated "extremely thin to thick." So, obviously, this is a problem. I''ll get the girdle numbers later today...

But here''s the question: can a stone, if chipped, be "restored" to IF clarity by polishing? The carat weight loss would be minimal on a small chip, I''ve been told. I was told that one can "polish out" a chip and get the stone re-certified through GIA.

Is this true? I''m just planning for the worst here, just in case...

Thanks again!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
All of this is true. The GIA will charge the full fees to generate a fresh report.

If a stone is damaged, it is not always a "chip". Sometimes a diamond that was IF becomes damaged in a way that if cannot be repaired or recut. That is why one buys insurance coverage.

There are some risks....

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Thats right ~ Buy insurance and let the Insurance man lose sleep at night worrying that she is out back chopping wood with the ring on
1.gif

Ginaworld

Rough_Rock
But Iceman, if her man would go out & chop the wood, then she wouldn't have to put her lovely diamond in that kind of jeopardy....

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is a scary visual! I think if I chipped the ring while chopping wood I would have alot more to worry about than a chip on the diamond, rather where is the finger!!!

My girdle is thin-slightly thick but the crown is pretty shallow so my stone MAY have a slightly higher risk of chipping. I just got Chubb insurance and they cover accidental chips and just cut you a check for your appraisal amount. Sweet deal! Now I really don't have to worry.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results