shape
carat
color
clarity

Rethinking AVC studs?!

AnaSpark

Rough_Rock
Hi All,
I recently purchased a .85k AVC as 1/2 of a set of studs (Jon @ GOG is having a few stones cut for potential matches...) and had it set into a pendant (which I adore) until the match arrives. See details here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/introducing-1-2-of-my-soon-to-be-avc-studs.155520/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/introducing-1-2-of-my-soon-to-be-avc-studs.155520/[/URL]

Howevvvver....since these are going to be my perma-studs, I keep going back and forth between AVCs and AVRs. I was trolling GOG this morning (really need to stop doing that! :angryfire: ) and found these new AVRs:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7726/
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7727/

They are slightly smaller (5.39mm vs about 5.6-5.7mm for the .85K), but a much more comfortable price (could trade in the .85k and cover a LOT of the cost of this set!). Plus, I keep thinking that I'd prefer my daily studs to be rounds vs cushions (since it is hard to see the shape once mounted on the ear anyway...).

So, dear Pricescope community, what do you think?? Will there be much (if any) visual difference here? Are round studs more versatile than cushions (though, either way, I am sticking to my AV_(R/C)'s like GLUE! Once you go August Vintage, you never go back...)? What would YOU do?*

*I originally had a set of 1ctw RB studs, Fs, H&A, which just didn't get my jazz hands a'fluttering the way AVCs/Rs do, so the .6 AVRs would be almost identical to my old set in size.

Appreciate your assistance as per usual. And Jon, if you're reading this, PLEASE stop putting up such fantastic new stones. Can't. Stop. Scouring. GOG. For. New. Rocks.

zaq12

Rough_Rock
I have rounds in that size and wear them daily. i think they are the perfect size. I would go with the rounds! (i do have a cushion e-ring as well)

you could get a 4 pring setting (something like the w prong at whiteflash) and might look a little cushion-like as well.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a very personal choice I think. For me, it would be the rounds. I'm just a round stone girl for earrings, pendants, side stones and mountings. I think I would find myself fidgeting with the cushions and checking them in a mirror to keep them in the right position on my ear. Cushions are lovely though. Why not turn it into a RHR? and just start over.

AnaSpark

Rough_Rock
-Zaq12--would love to see a picture of your studs! I also think .5-.6 is a lovely size for studs, though I was feeling awfully giddy about the jump to .85! My old studs were set in a halo (not sure how many mm that added) and I am wondering whether the .6 AVRs might look smaller than I am hoping for b/c I plan to set them in a bezel.

-Gemgirl--ohhh, how I wish I could keep the pendant AND the studs! If $$ were no object, I would certainly do that :naughty: :appl:

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Hmmmmm. I don't think the size difference is going to be that apparent on the ear, once they're set and you're wearing them.

I kinda prefer rounds for earrings, but the AVC isn't aggressively squared off either. The biggest difference between an OEC cut and the AV Cushion is the type of facet sizes. An OEC is more uniform, more even. Basically a very even large virtual facet look. The AVC is a lot more of a mix- you have the absolutely huge maltese cross facets, then the much smaller faceting around the edges. So they're more a mix of extra-large and medium-small virtual facets. I think maybe the evenly large faceting of an OEC is my vote for earrings. Too bad you can't keep the diamond you've got now too! It's lovely.

AnaSpark

Rough_Rock
LGK--I think you hit it right on the head with the facet differences. I LOVE the AVCs and absolutely prefer them for a ring, and even pendant. But whenever I hold the stone up to my ear, the facets sort of disappear and all I focus on is the shape. I'm thinking that the AVRs might better satisfy my AV craving + the stud shape I'd prefer.

Have ordered the AVRs and they will be arrive tomorrow for the big comparison. Then shall say goodbye to either my lovely little AVC "'pendant" or the AVRs.

AnaSpark

Rough_Rock
And one more little worry---

Any problem with having one stud w/ strong blue fluorescence (the J) and one w/ no fluorescence???

(where would I be w/o Pricescope??)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like rounds for studs too. I love the AVC but I think it would drive me nuts if they weren't always lined up perfectly in my ear and since earrings spin, that's likely. I've got OCD issues though :wacko:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AnaSpark|1297786818|2852344 said:

Any problem with having one stud w/ strong blue fluorescence (the J) and one w/ no fluorescence???

Well, I can give you first hand advice because I actually sent for those stones! So I can definitely give you an informed opinion!

I never saw the flouro in either stone and in fact could not for sure tell the I from the J! They are a terrific match! The size is nice, but you'll have to adjust to the size in comparison to your AVC. If you were comfortable with the color of the AVC, then I would think you'd be completely fine with these.

One of the main reasons I'd want the AVR's for studs is that you can get jackets for the rounds and make them look bigger when you have a special occasion. Yet they are a very nice size for everyday. I would love an AVC for a ring or pendant, though!

I had some doubts about the color for me since I have a G-H e-ring and my other studs were H color. Ideally I wanted G-H for studs but when I found this great matched pair, I decided to take a look at them. They are so pretty and it is probably more of a mental thing for me to want higher color. Their clarity was great, which is another of my mental things! I just didn't want to keep them and keep watching until I could ultimately trade up to G or H color. So I decided to return them so they could go to a home that would love them as they are!

They are little beauties and I hope you really love them!

AnaSpark

Rough_Rock
mrssalvo|1297786973|2852345 said:
I like rounds for studs too. I love the AVC but I think it would drive me nuts if they weren't always lined up perfectly in my ear and since earrings spin, that's likely. I've got OCD issues though :wacko:

Hah! ME TOO. Drives me crazy when my necklaces aren't hanging perfectly front and center...

Very valid concern w/ the cushion studs!

AnaSpark

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1297805337|2852613 said:
AnaSpark|1297786818|2852344 said:

Well, I can give you first hand advice because I actually sent for those stones! So I can definitely give you an informed opinion!

I never saw the flouro in either stone and in fact could not for sure tell the I from the J! They are a terrific match! The size is nice, but you'll have to adjust to the size in comparison to your AVC. If you were comfortable with the color of the AVC, then I would think you'd be completely fine with these.

One of the main reasons I'd want the AVR's for studs is that you can get jackets for the rounds and make them look bigger when you have a special occasion. Yet they are a very nice size for everyday. I would love an AVC for a ring or pendant, though!

I had some doubts about the color for me since I have a G-H e-ring and my other studs were H color. Ideally I wanted G-H for studs but when I found this great matched pair, I decided to take a look at them. They are so pretty and it is probably more of a mental thing for me to want higher color. Their clarity was great, which is another of my mental things! I just didn't want to keep them and keep watching until I could ultimately trade up to G or H color. So I decided to return them so they could go to a home that would love them as they are!

They are little beauties and I hope you really love them!

Hi DS--so funny to hear that you had these stones. Isn't it interesting to think about how stones journey around the country (or world) in the hands of different Pricescopers before finding their permanent homes?! Maybe we should start sticking little notes in the box ("I was just in Florida!", "I was just in Arizona!") before sending them back to GOG...It makes total sense that you would want a higher set of studs to go with your e-ring. Did you end up finding another pair of AVRs yet? I was actually hoping for a studs of a lower color (of the J/K/L variety) because I thought it would allow me to size up a bit. So in addition to figuring out whether I would be happiest with a cushion or round, also have to consider that this pair is that it is almost identical in size to my original studs (1.08 ctw) and smaller than my AVC pair could be. I have never seen an AVR of this size so I am hoping that there will still be a lovely visual difference (even if not in terms of size) in sparkle, chunky flashes ( :lickout: ) from my old round brilliants.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it would be interesting to know where stones had travelled! These definitely have a different sparkle. I was very drawn to looking at them. I am sure the bigger the stone, the more amazing they are! But still, I could definitely see the difference between these and traditional cuts. I even considered trading in my H&A e-ring stone, but I do love it, so I don't think I will.

I'll be very interested to hear what you think!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for the AVRs. While I love love love AVCs in rings (especially those yummy Leon Mege halos :bigsmile: ), I would much prefer the rounds for studs. But it ultimately has to be what YOU like. What are you leaning towards?

AnaSpark

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006 said:
Yes, it would be interesting to know where stones had travelled! These definitely have a different sparkle. I was very drawn to looking at them. I am sure the bigger the stone, the more amazing they are! But still, I could definitely see the difference between these and traditional cuts. I even considered trading in my H&A e-ring stone, but I do love it, so I don't think I will.

I'll be very interested to hear what you think!

I'm surprised that we don't see more AVR e-rings, mainly AVCs. I also always wonder why there aren't more high color, large AVRs on GOG, because I think those would just fly off the shelves as E-rings.

The stones should be here in the next few hours!

AnaSpark

Rough_Rock
stargurl78|1297818515|2852774 said:
Another vote for the AVRs. While I love love love AVCs in rings (especially those yummy Leon Mege halos :bigsmile: ), I would much prefer the rounds for studs. But it ultimately has to be what YOU like. What are you leaning towards?

Hi Stargurl! Since the stones still aren't in my possession, I am leaning slightly towards the AVRs for a few reasons: 1) the price is a big deal. I would save a lot of $ by sticking with these guys rather than purchasing the match for my .85k (especially after seeing the recent news on diamond price increases), 2) I also think that I might be happier with a round stud, if vintage cut, because of the aforementioned problems with the cushion spinning and the awesome facets being a little difficult to see when on the ear.

But I am quite attached to my warm colors and love the size of the AVC. I guess the big dilemma will be if the AVRs look similar to the AVC in size and they look better against my ear than the cushion shape. I see a lot of standing in front of a mirror and holding loose stones and a pendant up to my lobe 18,000,000x in my future...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, the perfect solution to me is to keep the beautiful AVC in a pendant and get the rounds for the studs...but I know it is always easier to spend someone else's money! As far as the availability of higher colors and clarity goes, I think it just depends on what rough the cutters can access, and the higher colors and clarities are more rare. But I agree, they could sell a LOT of G-H VS stones if they could just get them!

AnaSpark

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006 said:
Well, the perfect solution to me is to keep the beautiful AVC in a pendant and get the rounds for the studs...but I know it is always easier to spend someone else's money! As far as the availability of higher colors and clarity goes, I think it just depends on what rough the cutters can access, and the higher colors and clarities are more rare. But I agree, they could sell a LOT of G-H VS stones if they could just get them!

I agree 100% that keeping both the pendant and the AVRs would be the perfect solution if it were economically feasible! And maybe throw a couple more AVCs in the mix for a bezel bracelet :twirl:

AnaSpark

Rough_Rock
They're here! Very sparkly little things. I definitely see a size difference between the .6s and the .8 AVC (even w/ a cushion facing up slightly smaller than a round). Still not sure what to do!

Keep trying to add a few pictures, but getting "image is invalid" response with both JPG and GIF formats...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are the measurements of the cushion? Never having tried an AVC on the ear makes it impossible for me to compare. I'll be interested to see what you decide! I didn't even attempt to take pictures because I am not good at all at close ups.

AnaSpark

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1297913942|2853649 said:
What are the measurements of the cushion? Never having tried an AVC on the ear makes it impossible for me to compare. I'll be interested to see what you decide! I didn't even attempt to take pictures because I am not good at all at close ups.

Keep trying to get these pictures up but no success! Any one know why an image might fail (be invalid) in both GIF and JPG format?

The cushion measures 5.64 x 5.72 mm, the rounds measure 5.35 x 5.39 mm. I wouldn't have imagined much of a difference visually but can definitely see it. It is hard to judge well b/c I can't get the rounds to face up straight unless in the tension holder and the prongs obstruct the size a bit.

I think I do prefer the round shape as an earring and am now leaning towards the AVRs, but not sure that these AVRs are the best pair. Would love to drop down a color or clarity and have a little more size.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only thing I can say is that a well matched pair is SO rare. If you really like them, it wouldn't be bad idea to take these and then upgrade them later if Jon gets a larger pair in or is able to find larger stones to recut. I am just worried about price increases down the road. But certainly, you could ask him how long it might take to get a matched pair cut.

AnaSpark

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006 said:
The only thing I can say is that a well matched pair is SO rare. If you really like them, it wouldn't be bad idea to take these and then upgrade them later if Jon gets a larger pair in or is able to find larger stones to recut. I am just worried about price increases down the road. But certainly, you could ask him how long it might take to get a matched pair cut.

I agree, DS! Plus, .60 stones are certainly far from small and would make a lovely perma-pair of studs if upgrading was no longer a possibility in the future. But since setting and insuring the stones will be no small cost, I want to be 100% sure that I'll be happy with this set. The price difference between this set and the .85k and its future match is a big consideration. I saw a few new AVCs of similar size/color (of the .8-.9, J/K/L variety) pop up on GOG yesterday, of lower clarity than my stone, and the prices do seem to have risen already.

I am planning to set these into milgrain bezels and think that might add 1mm or so to the diameter also.

But also...these are just earrings. Gotta stop obsessing over size, color, clarity, and GOGs inventory at some point!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I can so relate! I have spent far too much time looking at that inventory!!! Milgrain bezels would be absolutely gorgeous for those stones! I still might even get a smaller pair of AV rounds and do that, too. I really wouldn't care to bezel stones any bigger than that. So I actually think those would be perfect if that is the setting you have in mind!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
AVRs in milgrain bezels...sounds like a winner to me :)

AnaSpark

Rough_Rock
And the winner is...

AVRs!!!!! The beautiful little AVC is going back to GOG (maybe another lucky Pricescoper can snatch it up!) and I am keeping the .6 ea. AVRs and setting them into those yummy bezels.

Thank you for all the help, everyone!

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
Cushions would bug me because they would never be in the "right" position on the ear.

AnaSpark

Rough_Rock
EHR2009|1298062264|2854937 said:
Cushions would bug me because they would never be in the "right" position on the ear.

Yep, agreed. This is something I didn't even consider until I had the cushion in hand and started holding it up to my ear. The AVC is my preferred choice for both ring & pendant, but the AVR won me over for studs.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AnaSpark|1298064143|2854962 said:

Yep, agreed. This is something I didn't even consider until I had the cushion in hand and started holding it up to my ear. The AVC is my preferred choice for both ring & pendant, but the AVR won me over for studs.

I was out of town yesterday and today and had to find this thread to see what you had decided! Yay! :appl: :appl: :appl:

I just cannot wait to see them!

AnaSpark

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1298173861|2855801 said:
AnaSpark|1298064143|2854962 said:

I was out of town yesterday and today and had to find this thread to see what you had decided! Yay! :appl: :appl: :appl:

I just cannot wait to see them!

DS-you were a big help in making this decision! Thank you for all of the replies! Will definitely post pictures (if I can ever figure out why my GIF AND JPG pics keep failing to upload) when the studs are back in my hands.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Oh, how I cant wait to see them!!! Who is doing the milgrain work? I so adored your pendant (I would love to snatch that up), but I totally understand why you made the decision you did. They are going to be so fabulous!!!! :appl:

ETA: Now you have me thinking I NEED that AVC!!!!! Darn you, woman!!!!!! Can you post some more neck shots if you still have it in your posession, oh please????

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results