shape
carat
color
clarity

Restore the luster and shine or keep the authentic look?

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
I've only recently started diving into antique jewelry and have decided to clean some of my finds. I came across a great concoction for removing tarnish from silver. Before and after photo of a horse brooch I picked up and cleaned recently.
20190522_141555.jpg
20190522_141523.jpg
Do you all typically clean your vintage jewelry? Or do you like to keep that antiqued look? Interested to hear others preferences!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Depends on the piece. I have some old silver drop filigree earrings with heavy patina that I wouldn't want to shine up. The patina accentuates the filigree and the vintage feel. I don't think they'd be as interesting/ beautiful if I shined them.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @CHRISTY-DANIELLE that it depends on the piece. In general I want to keep the patina on pieces over 100 years old, but if it's encrusted with dirt and the materials will allow it, then I will gladly give it a bath.

Some vintage pieces really benefit from a deep clean and polish, like this one:
upload_2019-5-22_15-16-54.png

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Yes, exactly @JPie . I love Manor Jewels' before and afters. Crusty, filthy, w/dull lifetimes gems...clean that up. Patina that brings out details? I'm leaving that as is.
Last year, I bought a vintage ruby cab ring for my sister, but when it arrived. ..yuck the greenish waxy goo in the crevices. THAT mess I cleaned up. :eek2:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've only recently started diving into antique jewelry and have decided to clean some of my finds. I came across a great concoction for removing tarnish from silver. Before and after photo of a horse brooch I picked up and cleaned recently.
20190522_141555.jpg
20190522_141523.jpg
Do you all typically clean your vintage jewelry? Or do you like to keep that antiqued look? Interested to hear others preferences!
The horse looks great!
So what is this concoction? Can you share?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I don’t like “tarnish” so I always polish my pieces. Some people on the other hand really value and enjoy the “patina” that antique pieces often have.

axelrich

Rough_Rock
20190522_141555.jpg
20190522_141523.jpg
I do as it keep it a newer.

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
The horse looks great!
So what is this concoction? Can you share?
Oh, yes! Sorry I missed this. I'll find the actual link, but it was a mixture of hot water, vinegar and baking soda mixed in a tin foil lined bowl. Apparently, the reaction with the foil is what "pulls" the tarnish away. Once I dig up the link, I'll post the instructions/recipe here!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I generally prefer to hand polish silver rather than using a dip. Hand polishing with a polishing cloth brings out the luster but retains patina in nooks and crannies where it helps bring out details. I also like Hand polishing with Haggerty’s Silver Foam and soft, fine sponge - again taking care not to remove patina from crevices etc where it might enhance the look of the piece. Of course there are times when a dip is called for too... it just usually isn’t my first choice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results