shape
carat
color
clarity

Resizing Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
My new engagement ring is slightly too big, and I am thinking that I should have it resized. It is a size 5.5 platinum six-prong tiffany-style solitaire.

The ring slides almost all the way down to my knuckle, which is making me nervous. I went into a jewelry store in Toronto today to inquire about having it sized down. The price quoted was $300 CDN, which seems steep. The jeweler explained that it's not easy to resize platinum and that it requires cutting the ring, which makes the work difficult and expensive.

What should I be paying (roughly) to have the ring sized down from a 5.5 to a 5 1/4? I'd welcome some input.
1.gif

Edited because syntax is important.
1.gif

pulp_princess

Shiny_Rock
I had my ring resized at the same place it was purchased. It was free, both times I had it resized. Is having it resized the same place it was bought an option? Mine was sized down a quarter of a size and they had to cut it. If it's done improperly, you will be able to see where they cut it, so go with someone you trust.
1.gif
Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey CanadianGirl,

I had my fiance's platinum ring sized about a year ago..$60.00.

I personally think the qoute you received is Highway Robbery...

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I have paid $30 US both times I've had platinum rings sized down. The fee would have been higher if I was going up in size due to adding plat to the ring.

Be sure the jeweler uses a good platinum smith! You don't want to be left with a seam mark or other blemishes on your e-ring.
2.gif

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
$300 to size down? That seems steep for me. I know that you probably posted in Canadian funds (if thats U.S $$ thats **absolutely** crazy). Where did you go?
If you're in Toronto, try going to:
1. Damiani in Woodbridge. Their benchman has a studio above their store & the prices I've found to be reasonable. Talk to Claudio (son in law) regarding this.

2. There's a platinum manufacturer called Platinum Unlimited in Thornhill that supplies rings for the jewelery stores. If you find any tension settings in Toronto, then they did it. Their company symbol is two P's back to back. I dont know if they do sizing, but they might be an option for your band. They arent cheap, but they do excellent work. If interested, email me & I'll give you some numbers & a contact name. A co-worker of mine went to get his rings there & they look lovely.

Judy
:)

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone.
1.gif
I figured they were trying to rook me.

Judy, that price is in Cdn $$$. Thanks for the advice on Damiani, I'll probably give them a call, they have a good rep so it would be worth the drive.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results