shape
carat
color
clarity

Resizing my upgrade

Hannahbug29

Rough_Rock
Hi! I just got an upgrade to my engagement ring. We went with a solitaire 6 prong setting with a 1.5 carat diamond, both from James Allen. With my old engagement rings, I had multiple pave bands stacked, so it didn’t feel super comfortable to have them very tight. I didn’t think about that, and we got a 6.5 when we got this ring. I actually need a 6. I’m so in love with my new ring, it’s literally my dream ring, so idk if that’s why I’m so paranoid or what. I don’t really want to send it back to JA because it will be gone for what’s usually 2 weeks, but I assume it’ll be longer due to COVID. Thinking about taking it to a local jeweler, but is there any way resizing a ring can change its appearance? It’ll only be by half a size. The main part I’m worried about is the circled portion in my picture. I’ve seen tons of people on forums saying that their ring was fine after resizing, but if you had your ring resized, did it look the same afterwords? Any subtle differences? 0C4E1262-80EE-4E94-825E-17626BCABBF5.jpeg

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty ring! I would add sizing beads or bumps in this case. You can always remove them and they help prevent spinning and wouldn't require cutting into the shank to size down. Good luck.

ETA They won't mess with the area you have circled. To resize, they cut into the bottom of the shank and if done correctly, you should not see a thing.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Pretty ring! I would add sizing beads or bumps in this case. You can always remove them and they help prevent spinning and wouldn't require cutting into the shank to size down. Good luck.

ETA They won't mess with the area you have circled. To resize, they cut into the bottom of the shank and if done correctly, you should not see a thing.

Yes. Just add sizing beads with a local bench, unless that voids any warranty you have that is important to you.

Hannahbug29

Rough_Rock

Thanks! I didn’t think they’d mess with that area but didn’t know how they actually get the metal to join together once they cut it so didn’t know if there would be any shifting. How did I not know about sizing bumps?! I’ll be doing that instead!

Thanks everyone!

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! I didn’t think they’d mess with that area but didn’t know how they actually get the metal to join together once they cut it so didn’t know if there would be any shifting. How did I not know about sizing bumps?! I’ll be doing that instead!

Thanks everyone!

My 2 cents....Make sure you are comfortable with the sizing beads 1st. I find them annoying and uncomfortable, but I have mild sensory issues. Good luck with whatever you choose!!
Btw, Im sure we'd all like to see some pics of your new ring! I have a 1.5 ct. as well, its a very nice size, right?? Show us please? :D

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I know you don't want to send it back, we all wait so long and then don't want to have to let it go again. But you want it done right.
I am not a fan of sizing beads. Nor other quick fixes. You paid a lot for a quality piece and it should fit properly.
My only question to you before you resize is what are you going to do about a band? As you already know, the more rings you add to the same finger, the more fitted they will all be as a whole.
With that said, if your ring is already too loose in summer, it will be that much bigger in winter.
Is it really too large, where you can't wear it? I'm just wondering if you should hold off until the seasons change or you get a band to wear with it. How long with they give you to send it back for a sizing? Is this complimentary?
The easiest solution is if you have a trusted jeweler that does quality work and do it locally so they can see your finger with the ring. This is what I hate about the whole online shopping situation. Ring sizing is problematic in brick and mortar jewelry stores, so trying to do virtually is hit or miss and often requires being sent back for this exact reason.
I am very particular about something being altered from the original so I totally understand your concern.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think comfort with sizing beads is a personal thing for sure. I find that I do not even feel them and request them in all of my rings. I also think that finger shape should be taken into account. I have large knuckles, but where the ring sits is much smaller, so all of my rings spin. I love the beads as they keep the top facing up and I don't feel them at all tbh. Good luck!!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have advice for you, but I just wanted to say that I think your new ring is gorgeous! You should do a "Show me the bling" on it. I'd love to see more pictures. =)2

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I think we are talking about 2 different issues: there’s the issue where a ring spins because the finger size is smaller than the knuckle (where sizing beads as suggested are one option to try for that). Then there’s the issue of the ring just being the wrong size which is what I think is going on here.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results