Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

resizing my new platinum engagement ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shinythings

Shiny_Rock
hi everyone! i just received a beautiful engagement ring made by mark turnowski. the only problem is it appears to be the wrong size. i ordered it in a 4 3/4 and i''m pretty sure it''s a size 5.

it''s a bit loose and spins around which is annoying. i''ve written him about getting it resized but figured i would ask here also-can they do this with a platinum engagement ring without harming it?

it''s a vatche 3 stone with a round center and pear sides.

thanks for your advice and help!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can understand not wanting to go through the hassle of shipping/mailing the ring back & forth to fix the sizing again. I don''t think this will be a problem for the local jeweller to resize the ring. Just in case though, give Mark a call to make sure it will not void any warranties on the setting and stone.

shinythings

Shiny_Rock
thanks- i actually live in ny so he's a local jeweler. he said to call and come in and that it wouldn't damage the ring-so that's good news!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear that Mark is local to you. This is why I always advise calling the vendor first. You never know how much gets resolved quickly and painlessly this way.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Keep in mind that fingers tend to swell a bit in the summer ... and that rings seem tighter when stacked with a w-band. If your wedding is coming up in the next year -- ya might want to wait it out -- see how it fits over the summer, or with a w-band first. OR -- try a temp solution, like sizing balls.

Just a thought.

shinythings

Shiny_Rock
that''s a good idea. the only other reason i''d resize it is because it''s a knife edge and i didn''t realize how much they stick out on the side, so i thought it might help with that too. not sure if 1/4 size would make much of a difference though.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
It shouldn''t damage the ring at all. It should be a simple process, if your ring contains no pave or detailing on the shank.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2007 1:16:46 PM
Author: decodelighted
Keep in mind that fingers tend to swell a bit in the summer ... and that rings seem tighter when stacked with a w-band. If your wedding is coming up in the next year -- ya might want to wait it out -- see how it fits over the summer, or with a w-band first. OR -- try a temp solution, like sizing balls.

Just a thought.
This is exactly what I was thinking---perhaps wait till the summer hot weather comes around and assess the situation then? And use a temp solution for now?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you haven''t tried it on with a wband yet, do it before you get it resized. I tried on sizing rings and thought for sure I wanted a 5.5 or 5.75 depending on the width of my ering. I then tried on another band with it and it felt too snug, so I decided to get a 6 ering. My worst fear is sausage fingers! My ring now is a 6 and is a little loose currently, but with a wedding band it is perfect so I am just going to wait.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip’s Love Story told through Jewelry
    Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip’s Love Story told through Jewelry
    Style File: Emma Watson
    Style File: Emma Watson
    F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda Sayre's Wedding
    F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda Sayre's Wedding

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.