shape
carat
color
clarity

Resetting to halo?

Azusa

Rough_Rock
Hi!

I am new to pricescope and have been reading the forum for a while, please be gentle because i am going to ask some questions that most of you might find a little silly!

I have this ring given by my mum when I got married, the ring was purchased many many years ago and i have never worn it because of the setting, the claws sits very high up and not practical for me. I do really love the center stone, it looks very sparkly and white.
I have no clue about the specs of the stone, in those days getting a lab cert isnt a common thing, it was purchased when my dad was working at a jewellery shop, I know it is definitely a diamond but nothing else.

The ring on the top as a comparison is my engagement ring, which is a 0.3 ct, so I am guessing the ring mum gave me is about a 0.4/0.5 since its slightly larger, i am a 7.5 size finger. I really want to have mum's ring reset into a round halo like the attached, but i am not sure if the stone is way too small for that.

Since its Christmas time I probably wont be able to contact anyone until after Christmas and really want to talk to Garry H about this (i live in melbourne)

What do you guys think the size could be? and if it will be possible to get that set in halo?

thanks!

screen_shot_2012-12-22_at_7.png

screen_shot_2012-12-22_at_0.png

screen_shot_2012-12-22_at_1.png

lusting

Rough_Rock
Hi Azusa :wavey:

I'm not sure whether you can get the effect you want with that stone as to me the proportions of that ring make the centre look a little larger than 0.5 carat. However it would certainly still look very pretty! As a fellow Melbourne-member I just thought I'd give a rec for the jeweller where I got my engagement ring made - Michael Wilson Diamond Jewellers. They are in Eltham (having moved their office out of the CBD) so may or may not be convenient depending on where in Melbourne you live. They also happen to make a setting very similar to the one you posted, I can't seem to post a direct link but it is the Alice Split Diamond Band. It is the last one in this gallery: http://www.michaelwilson.com.au/www/content/default.aspx?cid=661

Good luck with finding a new home for your mum's diamond!

Azusa

Rough_Rock
Thanks lusting! do really love that Alice setting! Eltham is a little out for me but I am willing to travel for the right jeweller :)
i understand it wouldnt have the same effect as the halo i posted as an example due to the size, what i am hoping for is i want to keep the halo feel of the ring instead of having the ring looking like a cluster ring if that make sense...

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
If you measure the diameter of it with a ruler and Google diamond size chart, you can probably estimate what ct weight it's close to by matching up the mm measurement. The diameter of it is going to determine the look, and the depth affects maybe the size of the head needed, if it's to be set in a prong head inside a halo. But no, it's not too small to be halo'd. They could even do something like put it in an illusion plate within a halo to bulk it up. A bezel inside a halo will also give it a big look. (I like old rings, so I don't mind a look that isn't necessarily trendy or popular right now, haha.

haloo.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results