shape
carat
color
clarity

resetting a pear to look more like a Harry Winston pear?

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

I'm helping my sister's boyfriend navigate the process of resetting and perfecting her engagement ring and would love some thoughts. She would have preferred a round or oval ring but he has a poignant family heirloom and I think that it will make her happy. Here is the ring:

With this all in mind, she and I went to Harry Winston fantasy ring shopping and I got her to try on the pears and really think about them and she really strongly fell for the pear with baguettes, even ranking this one second to the rounds. She had a few distinct comments though and I wanted to share and ask how you would direct these to a jeweler to best address them.

1. she'd rather it look more round, and felt thicker baguettes seem to balance it and make it look that way.
2. she doesnt like the bar on the HW one and asked if it was possible without it.
3. she prefers a minimal 'cap' on the point of the pear if possible
4. she really wants it to be low set and feel flat where the baguettes and pear are flush -- like the HW one. (see below) -- the ring left and Harry Winston's right.

with all that in mind, any advice or tips / thoughts on how to approach this? do you think this would require a custom CAD setting or do you think there's likely to be something like this already done? I'm planning on working with a highly regarded by PS NYC jeweler who I've worked with before. I'm slightly concerned it's simply too long and thin to ever look more 'round' but perhaps a new setting can get closer to the HW style?

Thanks so much in advance

screenshot_2017-03-17_02.png

screenshot_2017-03-17_0.png

screenshot_2017-03-17_2.png

screenshot_2017-03-17_01.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you'll have to go custom (you are planning on reusing the baguettes, right). Your sister has a lot of likes/dislikes so
if you want that I think you'll want CADs to see how her changes look in person.

That ring on the right is not low set (I understand she wants the baguettes flush with the pear). A lot of times when they
are flush with the main stone the ends of the baguettes connect at the bar in the basket. If she doesnt want the bar not
sure where the baguettes will end. You want to avoid that "hanging in the air" look.

Another thing to consider...that setting is very difficult to find a wedding ring to go with it (unless you want the matching
baguette wedding band). I used to have my pear in a 3 stone baguette setting. I finally found a 5 stone that I thought looked
good with it. She might want to consider what kind of wedding band she would like to go with it. I finally reset my pear
because I did not like the 3 stone. After that, I wish I hadnt waited so long to reset it.

*the reason it is hard to find a wedding band to go with is that you end up with a gap (due to the rounded end) and you have to
take into account sort of matching up the wedding band with the height of the baguettes. Hard to find in an over the counter
ring. If you want to do CADs for a wedding band then you can get/do what you want.

Edit...and one more thing...I hope you are planning for you sister to be involved in the design phase. I dont think that you and
her boyfriend should try to do it on your own. He either needs to put it in a simple (read cheap) setting or give it to her the
way it is and let her be involved in the reset design/process.

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
thanks so much for the thoughts TyTy333, I wasn't planning to loop her into it as she says she wants a surprise so I'm going to try to channel her through the CAD process. Your feedback was very helpful. I'll keep you posted as it all moves forward.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It always strikes me as kind of funny when the most particular people want the e-ring to be a surprise! The proposal needs to be a surprise! But she'd better have approval over the ring design before it is made, or this will not have a happy ending. She really needs to directly communicate with the ring maker. I'd go one step farther than CADs and get a wax (or plastic) mold made for her to try on.

Is that the actual heirloom ring above? It's beautiful! I actually think the baguettes are proportioned well for the center stone. Forewarn her that side stones that are too big can have the effect of making the center stone look smaller.

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
Yes, that's the actual ring. I agree it's nice and I think if reset could be incredible. We planned to not reuse the baguettes, but to get new, bigger ones. I didn't think of that re: it making the center look smaller.

I got her to agree to coming in to look at the CAD / wax / plastic mold, though without him...it's a web of pretend ha. She's so convinced she will dislike it that she seems a little detached from it and wants a really blingy band instead. Also she has been saying she doesn't really care how the band sits with the ring and I think doesn't fully understand the issue. It's ironic because she's extremely bright (ivy league all the way, really impressive career) but doesn't really have a great grasp on the details of all this. I hope she'll get it more when she sees physically how it all looks and maybe change her mind about not wearing it as a set with a band. Thanks for weighing in, DS2006.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm wondering if she should go for a pave type band instead of the HW with baguettes. Baguettes are
not sparkly like pave. They are somewhat subdue if you ask me. Pretty in their own right but not
blingy like pave. I think she is making a mistake by going a head with something that she already
doesnt think she will like. Really a waste of time and money. Is it because of the Pear? Anyway to
get a different shape that she will like better? Is it because the size of the pear?

What do you think she would think of this setting? Its more of an updated pear setting still with
baguettes but with some added bling. I know she would want to get rid of the bars in the basket
and I would probably do it with round stones instead of princess...
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...uette-and-princess-engagement-ring-item-50137
This has rounds but I like the way the one above looks better (lines are more elegant)
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-baguette-and-pave-engagement-ring-item-52599

You might check out this setting...frankly I do think the baguettes are too short on this setting. They
need to be a tad longer. They also connect to the basket (and she says she doesnt want the bar but
then you end up with the floating in the air look which is not good).
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...ed-baguette-diamond-engagement-ring-item-7101

I think she should go with a setting that has more bling like one of these...
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...d-inspired-diamond-engagement-ring-item-41042
minus the milgrain on this one.
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...r-milgrain-diamond-engagement-ring-item-49486

What do you think she would think of this? Try to picture with her size pear....its definitely a blingy
wedding band. This band was custom made to go with the baguette setting.

pear with blingy band.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW - how big is the pear?

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
It always strikes me as kind of funny when the most particular people want the e-ring to be a surprise! The proposal needs to be a surprise! But she'd better have approval over the ring design before it is made, or this will not have a happy ending. She really needs to directly communicate with the ring maker. I'd go one step farther than CADs and get a wax (or plastic) mold made for her to try on.

Is that the actual heirloom ring above? It's beautiful! I actually think the baguettes are proportioned well for the center stone. Forewarn her that side stones that are too big can have the effect of making the center stone look smaller.

Amen- I am a totally visual person and I need to SEE exactly what I'm getting. I approved my wedding band just based a picture and to this day I still don't like it that much and its only a band.

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
She doesn't want anything super blingy as a set so I don't think those very blingy ones will work, TyTy. She is very minimal and preppy and just wanted a band to have some weight -- maybe something like an all emeraldcut band. I don't have the pear's size -- all i have right now is the pics, so your guess is as good as mine. I was thinking it appears to be around 2 carats, but it's hard from pics.

she will really like this one you shared! I'll share it as an example when I go to the jeweler. it's very similar to what I think she wants https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...ed-baguette-diamond-engagement-ring-item-7101

thanks also Jennifee, I had a talk with her and she is willing to come and approve it, as long as he doesn't know that she has (ha).

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If she is not thrilled with the pear shape and wants it to look more round or oval, how about setting it with a pair of traps or half moons near-flush with the stone? It will make the center stone look smaller but if the right stones are used it would look modern and fab.

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
update!!! IDJ had a setting with longer baguettes that he was able to offer up. Even though it was originally made for an emerald I believe, my sister's fiance liked it and was overwhelmed by the notion of CAD / custom so they went for it! Even though it's not what she felt she wanted, he proposed and they're so happy and she looooves it! This just proves sometimes what you thought you wanted isnt what you end up being happy with. I'm glad because I prefer the look vs the shorter thicker baguettes she wanted. They're getting married late June 2018! :)

Attachments

• IMG_3121.JPG
    IMG_3121.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 29

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks really pretty!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's such an elegant classic setting. It looks beautiful on her hand. I'm glad she loves it now:appl:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!! The longer baguettes really do suit the pear better!! :wavey:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ring! I am so happy that she was thrilled with the outcome! The long baguettes look wonderful and proportionate to the stone. Best wishes to both of them!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It turned out really pretty...I like the longer baguettes too.

Congratulations to them both!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay that's great! Looks beautiful. ID Jewelry is awesome

Q

Queenie60

Very lovely. Congratulations

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looks great!!! Good job!