shape
carat
color
clarity

Resetting “Ashlee” my antique cut cornered step cut..Opinions please

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok...I picked straight baguettes..gypsy set on the shoulders...I asked David to show me the diamond loose. It may look like a lentil in a setting..but it will be a pretty lentil ring..haha

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don’t know..lol

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MamaBee, when you have a project like this do you go into it with some idea of what you want or do you figure it out as you go along? Does David give you any suggestions or you really have to figure it out on your own? I’m just curious.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@MamaBee, when you have a project like this do you go into it with some idea of what you want or do you figure it out as you go along? Does David give you any suggestions or you really have to figure it out on your own? I’m just curious.

@YadaYadaYada I always have an idea of what I want. I have definite tastes so I wouldn’t do well with a jeweler that expects me to go along with their aesthetic. I’m pretty picky. He doesn’t really give you ideas. I will give him photos that I would like and he will put together a cad and we tweak it according to my feedback. I really like non frilly simple design so it’s not complicated for me. The way I usually do it is work it out on here. I have to make sure I don’t get persuaded to go against what I really like. I was influenced a lot with Ashlee which is my fault. The halo cushion was perfect but the diamond got dark in the halo with the melee staying bright white. I’ll love it with a sapphire center.The design was perfect but the diamond didn’t go in a halo. I don’t usually make too many mistakes because I like simple things. I really know what I don’t like..and that’s a lot..haha I try to focus on what I like and then ask him if it would work. If you don’t know what elements you like and want him to come up with something on his own and you would be comfortable with that he’s probably not your person. I think to work with him you have to come up with your own ideas but he puts them to life. If you’re doing a project and need feedback to get things solid in your mind about what you like ask for help here. You can eliminate a lot by seeing what people suggest. Then you know that certain elements are a no go. There are designers that people use here that I REALLY don’t like. Of course I don’t say anything but I couldn’t work with them. I’m very comfortable with David. Post a thread so we can see what you’re working on!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I appreciate the reply, I know you’ve done a lot of projects with him and I just always wonder how folks figure out what they want! So, it’s interesting to hear the thought process and I’m looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I appreciate the reply, I know you’ve done a lot of projects with him and I just always wonder how folks figure out what they want! So, it’s interesting to hear the thought process and I’m looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

It will be really simple..lol

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@YadaYadaYada I always have an idea of what I want. I have definite tastes so I wouldn’t do well with a jeweler that expects me to go along with their aesthetic. I’m pretty picky. He doesn’t really give you ideas. I will give him photos that I would like and he will put together a cad and we tweak it according to my feedback. I really like non frilly simple design so it’s not complicated for me. The way I usually do it is work it out on here. I have to make sure I don’t get persuaded to go against what I really like. I was influenced a lot with Ashlee which is my fault. The halo cushion was perfect but the diamond got dark in the halo with the melee staying bright white. I’ll love it with a sapphire center.The design was perfect but the diamond didn’t go in a halo. I don’t usually make too many mistakes because I like simple things. I really know what I don’t like..and that’s a lot..haha I try to focus on what I like and then ask him if it would work. If you don’t know what elements you like and want him to come up with something on his own and you would be comfortable with that he’s probably not your person. I think to work with him you have to come up with your own ideas but he puts them to life. If you’re doing a project and need feedback to get things solid in your mind about what you like ask for help here. You can eliminate a lot by seeing what people suggest. Then you know that certain elements are a no go. There are designers that people use here that I REALLY don’t like. Of course I don’t say anything but I couldn’t work with them. I’m very comfortable with David. Post a thread so we can see what you’re working on!

I was thinking that beautiful halo would look good with a blue stone like a sapphire!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was thinking that beautiful halo would look good with a blue stone like a sapphire!

@Mreader A blue sapphire is going in my cushion halo. It’s with David right now. He’s adding a cup to camouflage the window a bit. He’s doing it without removing the stone..I don’t know how but that’s what he’s doing..

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@Mreader A blue sapphire is going in my cushion halo. It’s with David right now. He’s adding a cup to camouflage the window a bit. He’s doing it without removing the stone..I don’t know how but that’s what he’s doing..

Oh yes ok I read that thread I didn’t realize it was still being worked on. Ok got it!

@MamaBee that’s one gorgeous stone! I love its current home but can see why you’re looking to simplify the look. I ended up doing the same with a 2.57 ct round that ended up looking too overpowering for my taste once it was in a sizable carre cut halo. Looking forward to seeing the reset!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh yes ok I read that thread I didn’t realize it was still being worked on. Ok got it!
Haha That’s because I got it but sent it back to hide the window a bit. I can’t even keep track of my projects.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I understand better now that you said you want to stack it! I didn't read all of the posts so I may have missed that part! I look forward to seeing the finished ring!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@MamaBee that’s one gorgeous stone! I love its current home but can see why you’re looking to simplify the look. I ended up doing the same with a 2.57 ct round that ended up looking too overpowering for my taste once it was in a sizable carre cut halo. Looking forward to seeing the reset!

Thank you @LoverOfBeautifulThings I would love to see a photo!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here you are @MamaBee

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Here you are @MamaBee

Thank you @LLJsmom! That’s how I want the baguettes to look. I like the engraving too but maybe just on the top of the shank. I know this was an antique setting which makes it more appropriate for Ashlee even though I’m setting her e/w. I also want the setting a little thicker. Is it okay to send some of your pics to David?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @LLJsmom! That’s how I want the baguettes to look. I like the engraving too but maybe just on the top of the shank. I know this was an antique setting which makes it more appropriate for Ashlee even though I’m setting her e/w. I also want the setting a little thicker. Is it okay to send some of your pics to David?

Please do. I didn't design this. It was an old antique setting OWD had lying around. Hope it helps.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please do. I didn't design this. It was an old antique setting OWD had lying around. Hope it helps.

Thanks @LLJsmom..I drew a pic for David incorporating the flush baguettes like the ring. He’s already going to draw something up. I’m excited!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @MamaBee -

I read your thread and have been thinking about your reset. I had an idea and just wanted to throw it out there.

Since you're setting east/west, have you considered doing triple baguettes to stretch the design right across the finger and give you a little more presence? I like the triple baguette look, as it *really* extends the center stone.

What I'm picturing is - center stone - then on each side one longer baguette in the center, then shorter baguettes above and below it. They're straight baguettes (as opposed to tapered) and the look is *very* art deco.

Somebody here on PS has a ring - if not just like this, then very close. If anyone can think of it, pls add it here! it's an elegant design, more streamlined than you currently have, and gives a lot of presence without adding a lot of doo-daddery. I just thought of it because it's very elegant and would suit your style, I think. It's unlike anything you currently have, so there would be no doubling up on styles.

Just a thought - I hope someone can find it for us as I think it would be worth throwing into the mix of styles you might like.

<3

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi @MamaBee -

I read your thread and have been thinking about your reset. I had an idea and just wanted to throw it out there.

Since you're setting east/west, have you considered doing triple baguettes to stretch the design right across the finger and give you a little more presence? I like the triple baguette look, as it *really* extends the center stone.

What I'm picturing is - center stone - then on each side one longer baguette in the center, then shorter baguettes above and below it. They're straight baguettes (as opposed to tapered) and the look is *very* art deco.

Somebody here on PS has a ring - if not just like this, then very close. If anyone can think of it, pls add it here! it's an elegant design, more streamlined than you currently have, and gives a lot of presence without adding a lot of doo-daddery. I just thought of it because it's very elegant and would suit your style, I think. It's unlike anything you currently have, so there would be no doubling up on styles.

Just a thought - I hope someone can find it for us as I think it would be worth throwing into the mix of styles you might like.

<3

Thank you @mrs-b! I did consider that.
I saw a photo but decided against it. I decided to add three little engraved flowers after the straight baguette. I had a ring that had more than one baguette and I got tired of it. I know the baguette should probably be wider but I don’t like that look..I also sent a photo of a ring that has the baguettes set the way I like..
Poor David..I sent him this scribble. He’s a saint..

88CF4796-38C0-4A5C-B453-E3C04D3BB9E2.jpeg

Attachments

• 2F2E0631-D6AF-45A1-A717-EF7F618938D8.jpeg
    2F2E0631-D6AF-45A1-A717-EF7F618938D8.jpeg
    282.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @mrs-b! I did consider that.
I saw a photo but decided against it. I decided to add three little engraved flowers after the straight baguette. I had a ring that had more than one baguette and I got tired of it. I know the baguette should probably be wider but I don’t like that look..I also sent a photo of a ring that has the baguettes set the way I like..
Poor David..I sent him this scribble. He’s a saint..

88CF4796-38C0-4A5C-B453-E3C04D3BB9E2.jpeg

I bet it will turn out beautifully.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
She's a great size. Heck, she's bigger than my center stone on my e-ring! I'd be pleased as punch to own step cut that size! Beyond that - she's beautifully cut. Love her proportions.

Can't wait to see the end results.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not bitty and she looks like a sparkle bomb!

Thank you @lulu_ma! I know she’s little compared to my other rings but I really love when they’re a bit smaller. I stack them or even just wear them by themselves. I have a .40 M color rb in a bezel that I love to stack...Sorry for the big photo!

Attachments

• A06F49BE-63C3-4864-9980-DD5F4A0EECD2.jpeg
    A06F49BE-63C3-4864-9980-DD5F4A0EECD2.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
She's a great size. Heck, she's bigger than my center stone on my e-ring! I'd be pleased as punch to own step cut that size! Beyond that - she's beautifully cut. Love her proportions.

Can't wait to see the end results.

Thank you @Cerulean..I’m excited!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ashlee is just gorgeous. She will look amazing in her new setting and be beautiful stacked. I like your old setting but I can totally emphasise with feeling that something is really a bit too much. Looking forward to seeing the result on this one!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results