shape
carat
color
clarity

Resetting “Ashlee” my antique cut cornered step cut..Opinions please

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’ve been through the wringer the last few years. I think that’s why I made some rash decisions...I love Ashlee..She’s very special although pretty small. I thought I wanted the baguette halo..but truthfully I never felt comfortable wearing it. It’s too large and geometric for me. I decided if I got a good report from my former (love this) cardiologist I was going to eat the cost of the setting and reset her. I don’t mind that she’s little. I don’t have little hands so she will most likely look like a little dot..haha That’s okay with me. I don’t want to bezel her or enclose her in a fancy setting. She is slightly elongated..so I’m going to set her east west. I do want tab or tiny single claw prongs...Those are the only things I’m set on. I would like a little diamond somethings on the side. I keep
going back to baguettes because I love them so much. They wouldn’t be tapered. @LLJsmom Do you still have pics of the setting you had with straight baguettes? If so I would love to see it.
Before reset..Stay tuned!
B4102346-191B-4C11-B4F5-88C1C7470FB1.jpeg E2F85071-FCCA-4918-A5C2-D4481FA3D9DE.jpeg DD64A19B-981C-4E44-939B-83E8EE7BAC46.jpeg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Instead of scrapping the setting completely can they just make the center empty open space? I think that would still make for a cool ring!
That’s a really good idea @MakingTheGrade. I remember you doing that with a bracelet you have. I love the look..I have old skin so peekaboo skin wouldn’t go over as well..haha David is going to sell the setting after he removes Ashlee.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@diamondhoader Thank you! I did consider your suggestions. I kept coming back to straight baguettes. I also am still thinking about French cuts...I get bored easily...but the one thing I don’t get bored with are regular baguettes. I’m so afraid of making another boo boo. Haha I also considered traps but decided they would not look good with Ashlee.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
What about this one @MamaBee ? This would look great with just one straight baguette, too.
4B23F479-3150-4A67-8E18-373DC573BC5D.jpeg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I had Ashlee, I'd check with @diamondseeker2006 and see if she was ok with me using her perfect asscher ring as an inspiration. Then I'd go to Caysie and ask her to make it for your stone. That's because I think DS's setting is utter perfection for asschers.

I don't have any EW orientation inspirations sorry but I do love a compass tab prong for an asscher.
777203 744520 744509 644432

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So many wonderful suggestions @MamaBee I love so many of them. Sorry to hear you’re not 100% happy with Ashlee but that’s fixable!! :lol:
I really love French cut sides. I’d do a straight basket/profile and channel set shank/band that will allow flush bands. Then you can stack your gorgeous bands with it! I do think that with a smaller stone (she’s not really small at all...) a stack helps with presence. Especially with not-tiny fingers (I have them too!!)
I also love the idea of an open concept redo for the original setting. That’d be a cool RHR for a pointer or middle finger!!

E8F0F223-BE98-4A86-840A-E0DF599E0D22.jpeg
8CE6E780-E8FD-4E48-8635-C1CDEAB5EE85.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I LOOOOVE your ring! I think it looks great in that halo but I do understand the desire for change. Also it doesn't look small to me at all! What is the size of the center stone?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
That’s a really good idea @MakingTheGrade. I remember you doing that with a bracelet you have. I love the look..I have old skin so peekaboo skin wouldn’t go over as well..haha David is going to sell the setting after he removes Ashlee.

I love your present setting but you have to love what you're wearing. Pretending I could afford to buy the setting, what size Asscher does it accommodate?
I also loved the idea of keeping it and wearing it without the stone. I have old skin, too, but you'd be surprised how interesting a negative space can be.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I had Ashlee, I'd check with @diamondseeker2006 and see if she was ok with me using her perfect asscher ring as an inspiration. Then I'd go to Caysie and ask her to make it for your stone. That's because I think DS's setting is utter perfection for asschers.

I don't have any EW orientation inspirations sorry but I do love a compass tab prong for an asscher.
E83A8319-0D09-4E1A-980E-F74DD98E1655.jpeg
E83C8C81-9989-4C83-A59A-844D39FBF494.jpeg 6781A2B0-C17B-41C4-904C-8B08502685B8.jpeg 7C9B4EA2-7DB0-48E4-ADAD-A4A633F2DC75.jpeg 87FEF744-2854-4D20-8C4C-3AE1D03DD38A.jpeg

Thank you @foxinsox! Those are great examples!
I’m sticking with David because I think he will do a good job for me. I first asked him to sell it. He said okay. Then in the middle of the night I emailed him to say I changed my mind. I just want to reset it.
He doesn’t ruffle and he does great work.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOOOOVE your ring! I think it looks great in that halo but I do understand the desire for change. Also it doesn't look small to me at all! What is the size of the center stone?

Thank you @Mreader! It’s 2.12 ctw 7.75x6.78mm..The setting with the bezel makes it appear larger. It’s a bitty..It has some junk in the trunk..haha

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love your present setting but you have to love what you're wearing. Pretending I could afford to buy the setting, what size Asscher does it accommodate?
I also loved the idea of keeping it and wearing it without the stone. I have old skin, too, but you'd be surprised how interesting a negative space can be.

Thank you @Ibrakeforpossums..It’s 7.75x6.78.
My hands and skin are like Tales from
The Crypt! :lol:They looked like that when I was much younger too!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
So many wonderful suggestions @MamaBee I love so many of them. Sorry to hear you’re not 100% happy with Ashlee but that’s fixable!! :lol:
I really love French cut sides. I’d do a straight basket/profile and channel set shank/band that will allow flush bands. Then you can stack your gorgeous bands with it! I do think that with a smaller stone (she’s not really small at all...) a stack helps with presence. Especially with not-tiny fingers (I have them too!!)
I also love the idea of an open concept redo for the original setting. That’d be a cool RHR for a pointer or middle finger!!

E8F0F223-BE98-4A86-840A-E0DF599E0D22.jpeg
8CE6E780-E8FD-4E48-8635-C1CDEAB5EE85.jpeg

@Slick1 Great suggestions! Can you shown me what you mean with the flat profile? I would think the stone would jut out so it couldn’t be flat. I’m trying to imagine it. If you have a pic I would live to see it. Are you saying that the stone would have to be higher up so it would fit underneath the basket?
Thanks!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I found an old post from last Sept. when you were considering selling Ashlee and there were so many responses of, "No!" and "She needs to go to a PSer." You'd published the report showing the color. clarity, and the depth. Lord, that's a deep stone, and I really wonder if that's a big reason it's so fabulous. You say it's small, it's not. It's just stinkin' amazing and whatever you do with it will be wonderful.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I found an old post from last Sept. when you were considering selling Ashlee and there were so many responses of, "No!" and "She needs to go to a PSer." You'd published the report showing the color. clarity, and the depth. Lord, that's a deep stone, and I really wonder if that's a big reason it's so fabulous. You say it's small, it's not. It's just stinkin' amazing and whatever you do with it will be wonderful.

@Ibrakeforpossums Thank you.. She‘s deep and has a very small puffy table. It’s hard to photograph her but she’s so sparkly with rainbow flashes..She has a luminescent quality that I can’t capture in photos. I have a video of her loose but I have to figure out how to post it here.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She is so pretty @MamaBee, I don’t have any suggestions (I’m still trying to figure out a setting with David for my diamond!) but I’m sure whatever you decide will be amazing. That said, this setting is next level and someone will be lucky to have it.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
She is so pretty @MamaBee, I don’t have any suggestions (I’m still trying to figure out a setting with David for my diamond!) but I’m sure whatever you decide will be amazing. That said, this setting is next level and someone will be lucky to have it.

Thank you @YadaYadaYada My goal is to have a low key ring..I always liked east west settings so this is an opportunity to do that. I don’t want it fancy..just quietly elegant.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Oops @MamaBee I missed the first part about the EW setting! I just came across this inspo pic.

A79305FB-B462-42D4-A835-739A8635F3A4.jpeg

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@MamaBee I was one that said to keep her intact as is.

But, do you think you'll actually wear it? I ask because I know that you have your upgraded ring. I think a reset makes sense if you will actually wear it though. But, if you think you'll really wear it, then it's a smart idea.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oops @MamaBee I missed the first part about the EW setting! I just came across this inspo pic.

A79305FB-B462-42D4-A835-739A8635F3A4.jpeg

@lulu_ma This is perfect! My step cut is different...It’s not an asscher or emerald cut..I have no idea what to call her...but it will be interesting to see her set East West!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@MamaBee I was one that said to keep her intact as is.

But, do you think you'll actually wear it? I ask because I know that you have your upgraded ring. I think a reset makes sense if you will actually wear it though. But, if you think you'll really wear it, then it's a smart idea.

@elizat I will definitely wear it..Since she will be much smaller than my ACA it gives me the opportunity to wear her on my left hand when I want to be more low key..I can also wear her on my right hand without it competing with Winter. I love smaller diamonds so I think this is a good fit for me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your stone appears to be an elongated antique asscher like mine. To be very honest, I will tell you that I think you may find the stone too small after removing it from the halo. My elongated antique asscher is 8.4 x 7.75mm and works pretty well without a halo. Your current halo is quite wide and that is why it looks so large. A thinner halo would give you a nice medium size. I know you're using David so I am not posting my ring for inspiration but to show you how my size asscher looks without a halo. It's a lot smaller than your 3 ct round.

AVRandAntiqueAsscher.jpg

Now for what you are actually asking for, here are some examples, but E-W is very rare for these stones, so some you'd have to imagine them turned.

EClang1.jpg

EWcenter.jpg littleasscher1.jpg

I really have no pictures with baguettes and an antique asscher turned E-W and I have a whole file folder of emerald cuts and asscher rings.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your stone appears to be an elongated antique asscher like mine. To be very honest, I will tell you that I think you may find the stone too small after removing it from the halo. My elongated antique asscher is 8.4 x 7.75mm and works pretty well without a halo. Your current halo is quite wide and that is why it looks so large. A thinner halo would give you a nice medium size. I know you're using David so I am not posting my ring for inspiration but to show you how my size asscher looks without a halo. It's a lot smaller than your 3 ct round.

AVRandAntiqueAsscher.jpg

Now for what you are actually asking for, here are some examples, but E-W is very rare for these stones, so some you'd have to imagine them turned.

EClang1.jpg

EWcenter.jpg littleasscher1.jpg

I really have no pictures with baguettes and an antique asscher turned E-W and I have a whole file folder of emerald cuts and asscher rings.

Thank you @diamonseeker2006..I love your ring...I remember
talking to you about Ashlee when I first got it..Yours is much bigger....I just realized that I didn’t want to bezel or halo her. Even though it’s small I think turning it E/W will give it a little bit more finger coverage. I bought an inexpensive asscher solitaire ring from Berricle to try out. It’s small but cute. I stack it which is what I may do or at least add a band. I also bought an E/W emerald cut topaz that’s small..I like it stacked.
Thank you for the pics! I love the tab prongs so I may do that but make them smaller. I spent so much on the first setting I don’t know if I want to do the French cut sides..but I’m tempted..haha..It’s a slippery slope!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results