shape
carat
color
clarity

Reset vs upgraded diamond

MeganShannon11

Shiny_Rock
How did you decide which you wanted to do? I have a 1.07 cushion and my ring size is now 5 1/2 (used to be 4 1/2 pre pregnancy.) I am really wanting more finger coverage and sparkle. I have always loved the look of a halo and was considering having David Klass reset my stone (which is now a solitaire with a pave band and w-ring) into a custom halo setting. But now my husband is wondering if we should just upgrade the stone (bought from ERD about 7 years ago) for a bigger cushion but then put it in a very simple solitaire. He likes that look better, but I like more detailed settings and am somewhat attached to my original stone. Do worry I'd get sick of a halo though and I'd really like this to be the forever setting for my ering. Any words of wisdom?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you say "upgrade" do you mean literally trade it in for a bigger diamond? If not, how about making a pendant from your original stone? Also, if you think you might get tired of the halo, why not get the bigger stone and start with a simple solitaire setting and see if you're satisfied with the finger coverage bf you commit to the halo.

MeganShannon11

Shiny_Rock
Yes, use the upgrade policy ERD has to trade it in for a bigger stone. Something tells me that would be extremely expensive though. I'd want to go to at least a 1.6/1.7 I think.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Call and ask them what they might have available to you and the price. At least you would get a ballpark idea and know if the upgrading option is doable or just too over the top in price. Never hurts to ask!

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Would you consider a 3 stone? That might give you the extra sparkle and finger coverage you want without having to give up your original stone. Plus, it's a very timeless and classic look so you probably wouldn't get sick of it. You could do two matching side cushions, or half moons or bowed trills....lots of options.

I totally understand not wanting to part with your stone. I couldn't either!

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
If I had the option to upgrade my stone I would do so, going up .5 would probably necessitate a new setting as well, be it a simple solitaire or a setting with pavè or accent stones (which would guarantee you more finger coverage,) etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
dtnyc|1462819461|4029377 said:
If I had the option to upgrade my stone I would do so, going up .5 would probably necessitate a new setting as well, be it a simple solitaire or a setting with pavè or accent stones (which would guarantee you more finger coverage,) etc.

+1

This is fairly common when one spouse prefers a larger diamond with a classic solitaire look, while another would like a halo and/or a more elaborate look - a compromise of accent diamonds or pave often makes both people happy. Whatever the case, try to take your time - try to enjoy the process and don't get anxious. There are unlimited options available, you'll find one both of you love.

MeganShannon11

Shiny_Rock
I did have my stone in a setting with two simple pave bands, but I can no longer wear my rings since my pregnancy and the birth of my daughter. It's been seven months and my finger is still a size bigger. :( I don't want to feel rushed, but I hate having nothing on my left hand. I've considered a three stone, but I just don't think it's my style. I may call and ask what they have at ERD just to see, but I'm leaning towards resetting into a halo...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd honestly go ahead and upgrade the stone now while prices are low. I'd set it in a very inexpensive solitaire for now. Then in a year or two if you still desire a halo, then change it as an anniversary gift. Even if you someday get tired of it, you can always reuse the setting and put a colored gemstone in the halo. People here have gone from solitaire to halo and from halo to solitaire. One more thing. This ring is for YOU to enjoy and ultimately you are the one who needs to be pleased with it since you are seeing it all the time!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with an upgrade while diamond prices are relatively lower!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have a picture of your current ring?

MeganShannon11

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the feedback. I called ERD (or BE now?) and they are supposed to get back to me, but I feel like what I would want (1.6/.1.7) is going to be way too expensive. Here are my current rings.

_37025.jpg _37006.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully BE will be able to give you good news - I faced a similar situation, I have a 1.96 (8 mm) old cut and wanted more finger coverage - looked into upgrading but it was going to be very expensive to get enough of a size difference to get the look I wanted. Ended up resetting in a vintage-style halo and I've been happy with it. A halo can work well in providing more finger coverage/sparkle.

Here's a thread that might give you some inspiration and help you decide
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/solitaire-to-halo-before-and-afters.130309/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/solitaire-to-halo-before-and-afters.130309/[/URL]

Good luck and keep us posted!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Halo that baby! It will provide a lot more finger coverage for less money than going up to a 1.6 or 1.7 ct.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
A good halo is going to cost a minimum of 3k and up to 5k.

A new larger stone is going to cost up to 5k and a new setting probably 2k. So 7k .

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results