shape
carat
color
clarity

Reset Help Please!

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Hello dear CS PSers! It's been aaaaages since I've been on, but my husband recently reminded me that I get to pull the trigger on a 5-year anniversary reset (I had actually completely forgotten), and am in full decision-overwhelm! I could use your wisdom and brainstorming help... here are my thoughts so far:

Solitaires:
I am still drawn to the Margot solitaire (the last time I posted in my engagement ring thread I was pretty sure this would be the reset when the time came), but I also like this stuller setting: https://www.stuller.com/products/bu...Id=198510&recommendationSource=CategoryBrowse. The advantage of Stuller is that that would give me the lower-set and more refined setting I am craving without breaking the bank. I'm also unsure if my stone is quite big enough to not "drown" in 8 prongs (Margot).

3-stone:
I'm also considering setting it in a 3-stone with rounds, somewhat inspired by Meghan Markle's e-ring (pre-pave band). One question I could especially use your wisdom on would be if I were to go the 3-stone route, would antique cuts or round brilliants play nicer with my Portuguese cut spinel? I'm thinking stones in the 4-4.5mm range.

Insights into whether the 3-stone might suit my hand (vs. a delicate solitaire) are also welcome! I'm going to potentially venture out to try things on and will report back with pictures, but with COVID I've been a bit reluctant.

Finally, some pictures to help!

My stone:
Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 12.56.39 PM.png

My current e-ring, which I find set too high and it's a bulkier band than I'd like for every-day
Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 10.51.33 AM.png

The Margot, which is how I think I'd set it in a new solitaire, although I wonder if 8-prongs will be too "cluttered"?
Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 10.51.48 AM.png

A Stuller solitaire I like:
73180552.jpeg

A 3-stone with the cushion/round pairing I like, and proportionally about right as well. I'd prefer pointed prongs, possibly with 3-prongs on the rounds. Do I go with Antique or RB sides?
Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 10.58.37 AM.png

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have always loved your spinel and can’t wait to see how you decide to reset it! With your amazing stone, you can’t go wrong with any of those setting options. Your current setting looks great to me, but since you find your current setting too bulky for everyday, the Margot would be a beautiful choice. The prong tips would be so delicate that I don’t think they would look to cluttered at all. A three stone would look amazing too! If you have a pair of diamond studs, you could place one on either side of the spinel to see what it would look like as a three stone. Hopefully the more design savvy PS’ers will chime in on what cut they would suggest to use for the diamonds sides.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
3 stone will look beautiful. As much as I love antique stones, I’m not sure whether the chunky faceting will work with the smaller/busier Portuguese of your spinel.

Double prongs can work for your mm size but they need to be refined so they don’t “eat” the spinel.

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
What a gorgeous and unique stone! My suggestion is to make sure the new mounting plays up the elegantly rounded cushion shape. Because of the four large prongs, your current mounting makes it look like a rectangle. I think tiny pointy prongs in any configuration will help that.

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the great suggestions (and compliments :)) @2Neezers, @chrono, @paragon1234 and @Polyhex!

I like the idea that if the 3-stone doesn't work out then I can recycle the side stones as earrings in the future.

So far the quote I have for the 3-stone, even including side stones is half that of the Margot, so it's a compelling idea from a budget perspective, but I think having evenly spaced refined prongs would pay more homage to the shape as Polyhex suggested. I suppose I could think of a way to achieve the same objective with a 3-stone, but that's definitely one of the things I don't love about my current setting is the stubby-prong-rectangle effect.

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Oooh... I just came across this thread where a portuguese cut sapphire is paired with old cut sides... I would be using smaller sides, so maybe old cuts could work after all since the facets would be smaller? I'm not really that set on OECs, just want to get the facets to play nicely together.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As much as I adore the Margot setting, I would LOVE to see your spinel in a three stone. I think the inspo pic you posted would be perfect!

ETA: Your lavender spinel is the stuff dreams are made of.

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much @elle_71125 8)

I'm starting to lean towards the 3-stone option too, and going down prong arrangement and proportion rabbit holes...

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Well, I spoke with DH and I think we're firmly in camp 3-stone for this reset.

I am thinking of merging these two rings, in the sense that I would do the side-stone arrangement of mrs_b's gorgeous setting, and have the center cushion set with the slightly separated double prongs and milgrained detail on the top of the basket to help highlight the round shape.

I'd love feedback on 3 things:
1) Is the milgrain outline a good idea, or will it end up being too "fussy"?
2) I'm thinking about setting the center stone in rose gold with the rest of the setting in white...
3) Will the 3-prong side stone arrangement work will with a cushion center, or should I stick with 4-prongs like my original inspiration (likely with the outer 2 prongs snuggled closer to the band so it won't make the stone read too square

For the gold colour, I love the colour shifts and the mainly blue-leaning side of my spinel, but my hypothesis is that the rose gold prongs/basket would "disappear" more than a white setting. My concern, though, is that it will bring out the pink in the stone which I don't necessarily want.

Side stones (+ band in white gold)
Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 7.52.25 PM.png

Center stone (possibly in Rose gold)
Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 7.11.09 PM.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results